AngelArtist

Have You Heard of/Do You Have This?

Have you heard of synesthesia? Do you know someone with synesthesia?  

377 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey, a thread about this. smile.gif I have mild synesthesia, color-letters (and to a lesser extent, numbers). My little sister has mirror-touch synesthesia, which is where you feel something if you're watching it happening to someone else, like a handshake.

I used to use synestheia as a way to write poetry, by creating words that were all in the same color group in lines and verses, and I use it occasionally when naming dragons by choosing names that are the same color/color group as the dragon's body.

I had a color attached to each letter since I was very small, and thought everyone did ("So you know how the letter A is yellow?" would get strange looks). It caused some difficulty for me in spelling because R and G are the exact same color (a sort of deep purpleish red) and I had a lot of trouble keeping them separate, to the point where someone would say "R" and I would write a "G" because they were just interchangeable. And then in college learned about this. It's fun knowing about it and learning about it!

Okay, today I'm like, yay, St. Patrick's day. To bad it wasn't yesterday, Thursdays are blue, not green. At least seventeen is a green number. Wait, oh wow. It was odd.

Maybe I do have this o.O.

Okay, today I'm like, yay, St. Patrick's day. To bad it wasn't yesterday, Thursdays are blue, not green. At least seventeen is a green number. Wait, oh wow. It was odd.

Maybe I do have this o.O.

If you're saying that Thursdays are blue and Wednesdays are green, you probably do have synesthesia X3

@Kanaye: Oooh I love Greek Gods/Goddesses! Athena is one of my personal favorites, and it's a creamy brown color, sort of like a marbled block of white and milk chocolate, almost X3

Anyone know what color Emily would be? My friend is named that, one named Emma too.

Anyway, I never heard of it, but I'd like to know what it would feel like. My art teacher explained it a little a long time back, didn't really listen that much.

What colors would the names Richard and Lee be?

I have heard of Synesthesia, but I don't have it or know anyone who does.

I love synesthesia :3

It makes me think deeper with names of things, etcetera; but only sometimes 3:

But hey, it does cheer me up! smile.gif

Edited by ThePCKid

I might have it, like when I close my eyes I see a color that some how relates to my thoughts. And the colors like dance around. Also when my eyes are open different sounds or music make an image in my head

Emma- Light pink with a very pale green

Emily- medium-bright pink

Richard- reddish brown

Lee- lime green

I'm so happy this thread has become so popular! ^~^ people really should know more about synesthesia, 'cause so few people have it or have heard of it, and I personally find it fascinating and I'd really like to learn more about it, so seeing so many people here with so many different forms of synesthesia is so awesome!! biggrin.gif thanks so much to everyone who helped make this post popular!

Emma- Light pink with a very pale green

Emily- medium-bright pink

Richard- reddish brown

Lee- lime green

I'm so happy this thread has become so popular! ^~^ people really should know more about synesthesia, 'cause so few people have it or have heard of it, and I personally find it fascinating and I'd really like to learn more about it, so seeing so many people here with so many different forms of synesthesia is so awesome!! biggrin.gif thanks so much to everyone who helped make this post popular!

Really? For me it morw

Emma: Light yellow, or pale green with a yellow pattern.

Emily: Yellow. Light yellow.

Richard: This I agree with, but it has a tinge of purple

Lee: Dark green.

Um, yeah. I am starting to think I actually do have this. With a lot of things, so its probably not that minor either.

hmm, i have this. never knew there was a name for it though. but whenever im conscious enough of it, i begin to try and explain it to myself in my mind. and it'll be like im talking to myself. "well, it sounds like...hard to explain..." and such going through my mind, like im trying to explain it to someone. but i can never get a grasp of the right word. so for an example, ill start thinking of something as a color, then my mind will begin to wander and go, "is it really that color? no, more a cross between this color and that color...but maybe...that word..." and so on.

it happens a lot with names a people. like if i met someone and say "you look like an amanda" or something, when their name is something totally different. like where a person looks like a name. would that still be categorized as synesthesia? or is there another name for that?

Hmm, you know, I may do that sometimes. Like I find red-haired people more likely to be into computers. Which is odd, because I can see no real difference in the colors of peoples hair and that. It just seems like they might like computers xd.png. I don't know. It's a little odd, and definitely (with an I, not an A) more mild than my color-correspondences.

Really? For me it morw

Emma: Light yellow, or pale green with a yellow pattern.

Emily: Yellow. Light yellow.

Richard: This I agree with, but it has a tinge of purple

Lee: Dark green.

Um, yeah. I am starting to think I actually do have this. With a lot of things, so its probably not that minor either.

Well if you really want to be sure, there are a lot of tests on the Internet you can take, but the people with synesthesia are normally left-handed, very creative in music and/or the arts, and when they picture the calendar year in their head, it's a circle, with each month at a certain point, like a clock! Now, you can be right-handed, see the calendar year as individual little calendars and not have a creative bone in your body and still have synesthesia, it's just that it's more common that a person with synesthesia normally has those qualities.

I connect math operations with colors.

And some letters and numbers. And some songs with some weird sulfur smell.

Does that count?

I connect math operations with colors.

And some letters and numbers. And some songs with some weird sulfur smell.

Does that count?

I'm sorry, I'm not an expert on this and I don't pretend to be, so I'm unsure as to whether you have synesthesia or not, because I am not all-knowing about this. I'm only in my freshman year of high school, so I'm still figuring myself out. Synesthesia can be very selective, like how I only see colors for first names, so the math operations one is likely, but only certain letters and numbers? Do you see anything in common with these characters, like are they all a similar shape (d, b, p, q) or odd numbers (1, 3, 5) or something of the sort? The sulfur smell I'd say is synesthetic in nature, but again, are those songs by the same artist? Do they use the same instruments or have the same rhythm? Also, next time you listen to music, pat close attention to what you smell and see if different songs will have a different smell that might be harder to detect than the sulfur.

Edited by AngelArtist

My brother links musical notes with colours.

He also has perfect pitch.

And autism.

Ah! Thanks for reminding me! I forgot to mention in one of my above posts that some people with synesthesia will have perfect pitch. And that's so cool that your brother has synesthesia! I haven't heard of someone with autism having synesthesia, so this is awesome! How did you figure out that he links the notes with colors?

He might have told her? I'm just guessing on PhantomRaptors gender.

You know, someday it would be cool to write out a list of names and colors they correspond with for different people. Like a survey with I dunno, ten sample names?

I can honestly say that I'd never heard of this until reading this.

The closest thing that I can think of to knowing somebody who has this is one time my mother made an offhanded, distracted comment along the lines of "Be quiet! I can't see while you're talking!" But that's definitely not the same thing... wink.gif

I'm surprised that I haven't been aware of this, actually (it's very interesting, though). I guess you learn something new every day.

xd.png yeah Oddude, that is most definitely not synesthesia. I believe that's called lapsus linguae. (slip of the tongue) I actually almost confused my friends when we were at the mall once because they went into Abercrombie and Fitch (*barfs*) and I said that I'd wait outside because the music was too bright. I meant it because of my synesthesia and the music was really loud, making the color too bright, but my friends thought it was just a slip of the tongue X3

I am not quite sure if I have it... If I do it is a very different case than most people I have heard about...

So basically when somebody says a word or letter then I get an image in my head. For example, the letter U I see a huge cave with golden hieroglyphics on the walls and unowns (Pokemon) In there. Another example is when someone says dishwasher/washing machine I see a huge mouth (face like this :o) With huge sharp teeth and blood dripping down its mouth.

It is always the same... (I do it for A LOT of words) And 90% have nothing to do with their meaning... :P

One other thing is that I hear colors... twice it has happened to me. Both at night after I woke up from a dream. I hear this quiet noise that sounds like a large beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep (That continues for a looooong time) And it keeps getting louder and louder, and then I run to my parents and bring them up to my room and they don't hear it... but I do... then finally after burning my eyes out ._. it goes away... so does anyone know if any of those cases are synesthesia? I think synethesia sounds really cool though :)

I've never heard of this; however, it is really fascinating. I've been reading up on it, since I noticed the thread.

Would you mind telling me what color the following names are? Thank you in advance. smile.gif

Kelvin, Michele, Kayla, Lexi (Alexis), Kelsey, and Grayson

Does spelling change the color? Just a curious question.

I've heard of it, but don't have it. It's something that's always fascinated me, though. The human mind is just plain amazing.

Anyway, I was wondering what color the name "Tobey" is?

I... might have it... O.o or had it, I don't know. I remember once when I was younger, I was lying on my bed and I could hear my mom playing a song on the piano and it was so incredibly, vividly, deeply teal, like... I was submerged in the ocean vivid. And swirly. But I've never seen anything so vividly since, and most names don't really have a colour to me unless I contemplate it for a bit and then it might just be my mind playing tricks on me tongue.gif Though I definitely feel different temperatures for certain words and names, is that synesthesia?

I really just posted because I wanted to say that I think Emily, to me is like this really vivid pure white. :3 is pretty. maybe with ivy.

But other names/words/music are different things, for instance, Tobey is earthy to me, like moss and tree loam. Maybe it's just weird sense-memory-ness?

Rebel is black and red painted over blue green seas... I think... it's hard to put these faint impressions into words. Because it really is kind of faint, since I usually dismiss pictures and colours sounds and scents I get from things.

What about smelling things that aren't really there, when remembering something? Any idea if that'd be synethesia? If I remember something vividly I usually smell it too... maybe that's just sense memory though.

Sounds like it could be fun though ^^ and for the heck of it I think:

Kelvin is metal reflecting the sun, Michele is white wind, Kayla is orange in the water, Lexi is a cool softness, (Alexis) is shimmery, Kelsey is wind inside a building, and Grayson is stone.

maybe just weird associations from sense memory though, and spelling does change my impressions. XP

Edited by Psykotika