lola92

What do YOU want to do when you grow up?

When I grow up, I wanna be an agricultural scientist! ( No, I am not as young as that sounds )

I don't know!! D: First I wanted to be a nurse, then a scientist, then a vet and now I don't know!

Edited by Ninetails

Well, I'm about to go into my second year of Vet School (also my second year of college - it's not post-grad in NZ) so yea.

After that I want to do some small/mixed practice in the UK or Asia, and hopefully eventually do zoo or wildlife vetting.

So yeah, big plans biggrin.gif

I was working as a security guard for a few years so I could work at night while I go to college in the evening, but I can't work anymore so that's done.

I was going to try and become a video game designer, but since I can't work anymore I don't see what my college degrees are worth now, so since my dreams are all destroyed, hopefully I can at least get government aid to live somewhere other than in my car. :/

What I want to be...

More than anything, a storyteller. Since I was in elementary school, I loved reading books and fell in love with fictional narrations. But it was also around that time that I decided I wanted to become an artist of some sort.

In middle school, I found the perfect way to be both. A comic book illustrator. I stumbled upon Fruits Basket in eighth grade and have been infatuated with shojo manga ever since. My art style has evolved through the years and I'm working to get a degree from the local community college in graphic design and then transfer to the nearby art school to take classes for illustration and animation.

One of my professors told me that publishing brings a lot of prestige, but very little profit. Money has never been important to me. I'd rather do something I love and can share with others than become a millionaire.

I have yet to do any paneled work that resembles ANYTHING like a comic book. Maybe I can move to Japan when I'm all finished and become a manga-ka's assistant! laugh.gif

Now THAT would be awesome!

Edited by Daydreamer09

Right now, I have a degree in Psychology and Economics.

It is useless. Nobody wants to purchase labor from someone with a BA in psychology and economics. So I am going back to school to learn how to be an actuary.

My ideal job, though, I think, would be to be a social critic in the mould of Noam Chomsky.

Edited by MathiasTolerain

It is useless. Nobody wants to purchase labor from someone with a BA in psychology and economics. So I am going back to school to learn how to be an actuary.

An actuary is someone who wanted to be an accountant, but didn't have the personality for it.

I'm not entirely sure of what sort of career I want to have, I'm passionate about Geography, and I'm good at it, I wouldn't mind being a Volcanologist or seismologist, or even helping with search and rescue in places that have been struck by natural disasters.

I'd also like to study criminal Psychology, since I've always been fascinated by killers, but I'm not passionate about the subject.

I love animals but cannot see myself being a vet or zoologist, but possibly a sort of rehabilitation-from-home thing for wild birds that have been caught by predators or injured in some way, since I am passionate about birds and know quite a bit about them, and can handle them well.

I want to be a video game designer, or a detective. Something exhilarating.

If all else fails, I'll write.

I'm one or two years away from being a teacher. I'll know this semester whether I want to be a high/middle/elementary teacher.

Anyways. Is it exactly what I want to be doing? Honestly, I'd love to do research on a macrobiology level. Not sure what yet, but I'm pretty sure that if I don't get out into the world for a few years I'll go insane.

When I was young and naive I very much wanted to be a police officer, preferably within the federal department. Though that dream came crashing down after realising beep tests would be out of my reach, heck maybe even their physical as a whole.

As a back up I considered training to work with children who had been subjected to abuse, not as a psychologist but as a case worker. That thought also hit the crash and burn sequence after coming to the realisation that I'm no good with kids, I get frustrated too fast. laugh.gif

I never actually graduated from High School, nor did I even achieve a Year 10 certificate ('Spose I'm one of those drop outs). The certificate is the base minimum for most work options where I live, so as of now the only option open is to either go to Tafe and get an equivalent level of education or go through the local university and complete a bridging course.

In the end I'll probably go for the Tafe course, then start studying something to do with the Justice system, training to become a chef or possibly even studying a certificate in Information Technology. I'm about as indecisive as a cucumber when it comes to future options, with any luck I'll end up in a work field that I enjoy.

In a perfect world, I'd be a professional opera singer and sing at the Met and all around the world. But, I'm currently going to school to become a music teacher. My parents aren't too happy about it, and would rather I do an English major or go to law school. As far as they're concerned, music ought to be a hobby, not something one studies beyond maybe taking lessons on the side or being involved in a high school choir or band program. But, whatever. Aside from the massive amount of stress, I'm pretty happy as a music education major and I can't see myself being as happy in any other major. Plus, I worked really hard on my auditions to get into the program, and after all of the frustration, tears, and panicking that went into getting into the program there's no way I'm giving it up.

So, yeah. I love music. I want to either perform or be a music teacher (or perhaps both, if I can teach during the day and do occasional performances at night or on weekends). But I really don't love having to constantly justify myself to my parents. Especially not when they're all supportive with my sister's animal science major.

I used to want to be a vet, too. But I hate blood, so I'd be pretty miserable anywhere in the medical field. And I used to want to be a lawyer, but that dream died the moment I started taking singing lessons.

Being a music teacher would be really fun. I'm certainly no master composer, so the least I can do is educate the uneducated. I can't tell someone how to write good music but I can give them the tools to do it.

A guitar teacher would be really fun, too. I could sit around talking guitar and help people improve their technique. All my guitar teachers were really fun, I intend to be one of the best and coolest guitar teachers to ever live.

Another adult here who's still working on that whole "grown-up" thing.

I have my degree in Classical Antiquities and Art History. For a while in college I thought I wanted to work in museums for the rest of my life, but never followed through. I work for a direct marketing firm right now to pay the bills, I'm also trying to get some of my short fiction published, but I don't really ever expect to make a living writing.

Heh, it's funny... All the way up through the high school graduation, if you'd asked me what I wanted to do I'd have told you in a heartbeat: I want to be a veterinarian. It was the little kid's dream - like the classic "becoming a fireman or policeman" wish - that I never grew out of.

I had the grades for it, had the interest and ability to study the subjects, financially was in a place to manage it, my dad said that he had no doubt at all that I could do it, and my dog's vet said that my instincts were right on. Seemed like it was meant to be.

But then life took some funny turns, and... I became an editor instead. Which is funny, because all through school I loathed writing, and everything to do with it. If I'd known toward the end of high school what I'd be doing now, I'd probably have been horrified.

But y'know what? I love my work. Really, really love it. I've made some great connections through my editing, been able to help causes I really believe in, and actually enjoy the complicated or technical aspects that make most people's eyes glaze over. And I'm now a published, paid writer (not nearly as easy as just getting published!), and when I had an opportunity to discuss my in-progress book with an agent a couple months ago he loved it, said I definitely have the authority to write on the subject and should go for it.

So yeah. I do still have times of wistfulness for the alternate career that might've been, but I think I made the right choice. I don't regret it.

But as far as long-term future goals... I'd really like to do something more with art, though I'm not sure what at this point. Definitely want to continue with my writing and editing. As much as any of those, though, I really want to get married and be a mother. Have wanted it as long as I can remember, and yes, I'd be willing to put other professional advancement on hold for it.

An actuary is someone who wanted to be an accountant, but didn't have the personality for it.

Which is somewhat hilarious because you shoulda heard the jokes that we had about accountants in the Economics department wink.gif

It will pay well, and if I have the g-factor for it, life will be grand. If I don't... I suppose the math that I am doing now could easily dove-tail into other economics applications.

I want to do terrible things to people. Instead, I simply get to teach them.

Become a scientist and invent a time machine and find a cure for death.

I thought I knew when I was younger. I wanted to be either a nurse aid or a bus driver but I found out that I don't have the stomach for nursing and I can't get a CDL so atm I'm stuck.

Video game designer/translator (I'm (double)majoring in Japanese in college anyway, so might as well use it). That's my fall back job, anyway. I can't find anything I'm interested in doing that I have an absolute chance of being able to do...

What I'd love to do is be a manga-ka, but I have no drawing skills whatsoever... I'd prefer to tell my stories through comics, not books. But eh, maybe I'll do that on the side. Gotta practice more.

Long term.. 3d character modeler in the games industry. I'm currently in my last year of school; I'm going to try to enter the industry as a prop modeler/environment artist and work my way up from there.

I'm a Senior Electronics Technician at Rockwell-Collins, where I've worked for nearly 19 years. I test and troubleshoot military GPS receivers (primarily the DAGR and MPE-S ). When growing up, I never said, "I want to be an Electronics Technician", but hey, it's a great job.

I want to become either; a horse vet, horse breeder, horse riding instructor or a animal trick trainer(not just horses or dogs but like dolphins mayby?). lol alot.png of options. but the one i want to do most is horse vet and animal trick trainer. smile.gif But i am going to go to university.

EDIT: wat up with da random animal/creature?? suposed 2 say A-L-O-T.

Edited by LollieLauren