bbik

The Allure of Neglected Dragons

Just wanted to say I love the lineage column in the 'growing dragons' page. Not sure if it was there before but I just now noticed it and it's so cool to see at a glance which dragons are CB!

... though the visual format for adding the eggs has changed recently.

I assume you mean the move from the old (dead) location to this new one, right? If you mean even more recently than that, I'm not sure what you saw/see, because nothing should have changed visually since this new version went online.

Hello, I just thought I should mention that there seems to be a problem for me. The daycare hasn't been working for me since yesterday. It says :

There was problem communicating with the database. Please try again later.

Please check your e-mail. I've sent you some questions to try and figure out where the problem lies.

Seems OK from here - except - is the clinic directly accessible yet - and as a matter of interest, if an egg is in the hatchery, does it get auto added to the ER ? (I know it used not to, but wondered if things had changed ?

Nope. I haven't had the time or inclination to look at much code for the past couple days, after the non-stop mad-dash cram session for the past several months to get you guys what's online right now. I might be able to cobble together something for a few of the extras until I can redo them properly (this is also aimed at you, rrattts), but that won't work so well for the Clinic, so we'll just have to wait for that one.

And no, there is still no auto-adding. If that ever comes to exist, it will be as an option, so no worries about unwanted changes in that regard. I have no idea at this point if or when it might become a feature, though, given the massive list of more requested items still on the list.

Quick question: Does anyone know of an auto-refresher that we can use for experiments until the NDER one is back in business? I don't usually need it but I've found myself in dire need recently, of course, now that I don't have access, lol.

I assume you mean the move from the old (dead) location to this new one, right? If you mean even more recently than that, I'm not sure what you saw/see, because nothing should have changed visually since this new version went online.

Yes, I meant the change in location, though I hadn't even noticed that there was a new location because my old bookmark still worked. I guess that I got automatically redirected and never bothered to look at the new web address. I only realized it was actually new when I read your reply to my earlier post and then looked at the older posts in the thread.

Yay new site! biggrin.gif My old bookmark stopped working for me and I was worried it was gone for good, TAoND is one of my faves <3

Nope. I haven't had the time or inclination to look at much code for the past couple days, after the non-stop mad-dash cram session for the past several months to get you guys what's online right now. I might be able to cobble together something for a few of the extras until I can redo them properly (this is also aimed at you, rrattts), but that won't work so well for the Clinic, so we'll just have to wait for that one.

And no, there is still no auto-adding. If that ever comes to exist, it will be as an option, so no worries about unwanted changes in that regard. I have no idea at this point if or when it might become a feature, though, given the massive list of more requested items still on the list.

Thanks. You've done brilliantly and so seamlessly. I just wanted to know - no biggie biggrin.gif

I just realized how much I miss the contemplative refresh-and-click-stars sessions xd.png

Question: how often does the site do auto-cleanup? Because even by updating my scroll, I cannot get my grown-up adults out of the clinic, it seems, so I was wondering ...

I LOVE the new update system. Forgot to say smile.gif

Sorry if this has already been asked, but is there going to be a "select all" option at some point so we don't have to click our checkboxes one by one?

Love the new site! It's going to take getting used to though!

Sorry if this has already been asked, but is there going to be a "select all" option at some point so we don't have to click our checkboxes one by one?

Love the new site! It's going to take getting used to though!

On the Daycare page, after Scroll Name, and under Additional Options, there are check boxes for:

Auto-add all dragons?

Check for sickness?

Show fogged dragons?

I think this is what you're looking for. <3

Edited because I'm still not quite awake! blink.gif

Edited by dragongrrl

On the Daycare page, after Scroll Name, and under Additional Options, there are check boxes for:

Auto-add all dragons?

Check for sickness?

Show fogged dragons?

But there's no option for add/clear all boxes, I'd really like to get that back.

But there's no option for add/clear all boxes, I'd really like to get that back.

You're right, I don't see anything to clear all. I never add or clear all at one time any more, so I didn't miss it not being there.

When i tried to go on to add my eggs, I got a different page saying that the domain expired and was for sale? Does anyone else havethis problem or know what's happening?

When i tried to go on to add my eggs, I got a different page saying that the domain expired and was for sale? Does anyone else havethis problem or know what's happening?

You need to go to the updated site, http://www.allureofnds.net. There is more info as you check back through the last month of posts, and not all the old features are running yet, but the daycare works very well.

New link: http://www.allureofnds.net/

It's still a work in progress and kind of bare-bones, but it functions.

ninja.gif by dragongrrl laugh.gif

Edited by purplehaze

Does this site no longer remove Fogged dragons? I fogged my new eggs last night for overnight protection while I slept. I went in to re-add them, but apparently I didn't need to!

Question: how often does the site do auto-cleanup? Because even by updating my scroll, I cannot get my grown-up adults out of the clinic, it seems, so I was wondering ...

Right now, I have the daycare set to be cleaned every half hour, and the clinic every 15 minutes. I haven't had time to check back much and see if the timing needs adjusting, but I'm sure it will once I get the manual star-removal back online, if not before. As for removing by updating the scroll...

When you submit your scroll name, AoND calls out to DC for still-growing dragons. AoND then checks the daycare to see if all of the dragons added under your name are still in the list returned by DC. If any are not, they get removed from the daycare, in the interest of letting the new owner add them if/when they choose. The clinic looks at only the dragons returned by DC, to make sure their times are valid. Ones which are no longer returned (be they grown or re-homed) are basically ignored (until the cleaner checks them) for purposes of the clinic due to these assumptions:

1. If grown/fogged, they'll be removed shortly anyhow (and even more shortly once the stars return).

2. If re-homed, odds are good that the new owner will want it hatched/grown. If not, said new owner should be proactively fogging that dragon as soon as they get it, because they don't know what the original owner had previously done, on AoND or anywhere else. Bluntly, "take care of your dragon, because fansites can't mind-read."

That logic seemed reasonable at the time, but if there are any issues with it or improvements needed, you're welcome to suggest, and I'll see what I can arrange. smile.gif

Does this site no longer remove Fogged dragons? I fogged my new eggs last night for overnight protection while I slept. I went in to re-add them, but apparently I didn't need to!

Following on from the chunk above, AoND has actually never specifically targetted fogged dragons. It used to work like this:

1. The auto-cleaner checked dragons that were (or at least, were expected to be) 4 days or less, to see if they should be moved/removed. That reduced the number of dragons to check at every run dramatically, because most dragons on the site are 4-7 days, and therefore need no updating.

2. The manual star-cleaners checked the specifically the targetted dragon, regardless of time remaining. This is where fogged dragons could be removed when they were still above 4 days. Most of the time people were thorough about cleaning fogged dragons, so it had the appearance of being an automated thing, but if you watched long or often enough, you saw that there were times some got "missed". The inconsistency of whether they were or were not removed was not ideal, but it seemed like the best approach to avoid checking tens of thousands of dragons every cleaner-run.

The current plan is to have the same logic for this version of the site. The cleaner does work the same already. The difference is the missing stars. I am, however, contemplating adding a once or twice a day run that does check all dragons anyhow, to remove any dead, frozen, or fogged ones at that point, but I'm not sure how much it really matters, in the long run. We'll see!

Yes, it will be back as soon as I have time to re-implement it.

the help page doesn't exist  blink.gif

It'll be back, as well. Same problem, not enough time before the old site died.

It's sad that I won't be able to do any ND experiments until the auto-refresher is remade, but it couldn't be helped. It's just good that the site managed to come back up.

I just wanted to say a big "Thank You!" for all the work you're doing on the new site. Dragon Cave wouldn't be able to function if we didn't have sites to add our eggs. You rock! cool.gif