bbik

The Allure of Neglected Dragons

Thanks so much for the update Bbik! smile.gifI saw the title and got worried the site was going away. Dx Nice to see someone is going to keep it going. smile.gif

Thanks for the updates! Keep us posted on what you may need smile.gif

I have very much enjoyed your site and use it daily and almost exclusively, so I'm hoping everything works out well and my best wishes for your hearty task to update and upgrade with your new site. I very much look forward to use it and hope it is not as gruesome of a task as it appears. Thank-you for all your diligence on the site we so enjoy using.

The good news: Website updates are going fairly well.

The less-good news: All of this updating is quite a massive undertaking, especially when I can only work on it in small bits of time, after I'm already tired from a full day. So there is still tons left to do. But it's getting there.

Unfortunately, though, that is not the real reason for this post. I spoke with Agrona's son recently, and he had some very unexpected news, which he has requested I pass along to all of you.

The awful news: Agrona suffered a bad heart attack last spring and passed away. sad.gif

I was shocked to hear that news, and my heart goes out to all of her children and family members. user posted image

I know many of you use the various fansites without knowing much about the people behind them, but Agrona was instrumental in AoND's creation. Without her, the site would never have existed, nor lasted anywhere near this long. I may be responsible for the code, but code is nothing without a way for it to be used, and Agrona provided that way for years by allowing me to use part of her hosting account. In fact, without Agrona, I may not even have found myself the day job I have now, nor the career path it has allowed me to follow. I never had the opportunity to meet Agrona in person, but she was always as helpful as could be, no matter how busy (she even helped with hosting problems while on vacation!), and I will always remember and be grateful for that. smile.gif

Oh my goodness. I am shocked by your news about Agrona. My prayers for her family and all who loved and knew her. bbik thank you for all you do and are doing to keep AoND up and running, especially with a new website and all that that entails. I love AoND.

Goodness. I feel really sad for what happened. The family also has my prayers. sad.gif

I've been using AoND for years, and it's always one of my favorite click-sites. I really appreciate and am grateful for the website and its creators, so thanks a lot, Agrona. And thank you for all that you've done for us, bbik! :') <3

Oh my god, that's awful. I'll think good thoughts towards her family, that's got to be rough. Losing someone you love is never easy, speaking from personal experience.

Holy bejezus

That must have been terrible sad.gif Hopefully she rests in another place now

We will always remember her hard work for the site. Rest In Peace, Agrona. We will keep the site running, like always smile.gif

Thank you, bbik, for this sad message. It is too easy for internet friends and acquaintances to disappear without a trace. My condolences to you on the loss of your friend and mentor, and please pass my condolences to Agrona's family as well. It shows how small this world really is, when those we never meet can be such a generous and kind influence in our lives. She helped to build this community, and she will be missed. <3

Thanks for the update on the site bbik and I to am sending prayers to Agrona's family for their loss sad.gif

Oh my! That's so sad sad.gif My condolences go out to her family and friends. A big hug to you bbik as well!

Thank you for the update.

My condolences to all the ones who will miss her.

What a small world it is that we live in. Wonderful how she was able to help your carreer.

My heart goes out to her and anyone who knew her. Her website has saved many a baby dragon, and not just of my own. Goodness knows how nice of a person she certainly was in real life. Rest in heavenly peace, dear one.

user posted image

Oh, dear... Those were really awful news.

My heart goes to her friends and family as well.

I didn't know her, but she did something really wonderful with AoND, helping lots of people with the site.

May she rests in peace.

so sorry to hear about agrona.

i was scared the site was down when i logged on as it timed out the initial time i tried to get my action trackers. seems to be ok now.

I've wondered why she left so suddenly. I used to spend a good amount of time chatting with her and I am so numb right now. Thanks for letting us know.

Donations are donations. I sure wouldn't ask to get mine back if for some reason the new site wouldn't go online.

I have a question regarding the way the hatchery works.

If I have the auto-refresher running and it says "The current settings need roughly 2.6 hours to show each dragon once", does this mean it will actually show each dragon once in 2.6 hours? That is, does it remember which dragons were already shown to me, and only show new ones with each refresh? (Rather than just showing random dragons with each refresh?)

And if so, is this interrupted if I go to the Daycare page to manage my scroll, and then back to "Home"? So, should I open the Daycare in a new tab to make sure the auto-refresher can continue to work in the best way possible? Or does it remember which dragons it should show me next time I go to "Home" in order to give more unique views?

It doesn't remember. Once, I was looking for blue Dino eggs for encyclopedia entries. You cannot imagine my swearing when I noticed that I got served the same one over and over and over again, which of course does *not* help with the encyclopedia.

I am sad to hear of Agrona's death. She was a great contributor to the forums and to this hatchery.

I think the dragons that are served up to you on the viewer are entirely random. Just because you are on the site for the amount of time listed doesn't mean you will actually see all dragons on the site -- it just means you will see a number of dragons equal to the number on the site, but may see some of the same dragons more than once and others not at all.

So shocked and saddened to hear about Agrona. She was always such a generous person and will be missed.

My Lord, I was not expecting such grim news with regards to Agrona. My deepest condolences to those who knew her well. Agrona was a kind heart and bright spirit, and the lasting impact she had on this community is one I will always remember. Rest in peace, Agrona <3 You will not be forgotten.

The good news: Website updates are going fairly well.

The less-good news: All of this updating is quite a massive undertaking, especially when I can only work on it in small bits of time, after I'm already tired from a full day. So there is still tons left to do. But it's getting there.

Unfortunately, though, that is not the real reason for this post. I spoke with Agrona's son recently, and he had some very unexpected news, which he has requested I pass along to all of you.

The awful news: Agrona suffered a bad heart attack last spring and passed away. sad.gif

I was shocked to hear that news, and my heart goes out to all of her children and family members. user posted image

I know many of you use the various fansites without knowing much about the people behind them, but Agrona was instrumental in AoND's creation. Without her, the site would never have existed, nor lasted anywhere near this long. I may be responsible for the code, but code is nothing without a way for it to be used, and Agrona provided that way for years by allowing me to use part of her hosting account. In fact, without Agrona, I may not even have found myself the day job I have now, nor the career path it has allowed me to follow. I never had the opportunity to meet Agrona in person, but she was always as helpful as could be, no matter how busy (she even helped with hosting problems while on vacation!), and I will always remember and be grateful for that. smile.gif

At this news, i am very sad.

I may not have known her, but i did see her around the forums. I thought she was talking a long DC vacation like so many of us do.

But i never expected this... grim news.

I give my deepest condolences to those who knew her, from family members and to those who chatted with her regularly on this site, and any other sites she was on.

~