bbik

The Allure of Neglected Dragons

I noticed while adding dragons, there is no 'click all' button like last time. Will there be one put in?

I noticed while adding dragons, there is no 'click all' button like last time. Will there be one put in?

There is a box on the page when you enter your scroll that asks if you want to auto-add all your eggs and hatchlings. Not exactly the same, but close.

I went to the old site and saw it down, then came here and saw the new site. I'm glad to see it's still around, thanks for all your work bbik! The new formatting style threw me off for a bit, I'm used to everything being in the center instead of on the left.

I'm sorry to hear about Agrona; I didn't know her, but I sure appreciate her ER site! AOND has been my most-used fansite for at least a year now.

New site, yay! Various bits of feedback:

I find the color choice hard to read! Part of this may just be the new setup (I really preferred the text stuff to be centered; seeing everything left-aligned and so spaced out is making me feel like the site hasn't loaded correctly) but part of it is definitely that white text on a relatively light green background is not a high-contrast combo. Things that aren't bolded, like the codes of my dragons and their times, are especially hard to read.

AAAAAh, I'm so glad that the tickybox for the Clinic is now *uncheckable* after the dragon is added!!

Really, really not liking the "click on something and it opens a popup in front of the page" thing! Eeek. Much preferred the frame at the bottom of the page method. Popups are Not A Thing I Want, personally! It obscures my view of the page and it takes longer to load, I think.

Eager for the return of the "remove this dragon" button, too; I get antsy seeing so many hatched or grown dragons mixed in. Get out, grownups, and give those views to the younguns! smile.gif

On that note: I've always wanted a hatchery where clicking the 'check on this one' button did NOT automatically move a hatchling in the egg section to the hatchie section; can't it just be removed, period? Does anybody really want their fresh 7d0h hatchie going straight into the nursery for MORE views? (Maybe they do, and I'm just weird! But I'm always worried that being continuously viewed from the moment they hatch will make them sick and they'll die while I'm at work and don't know about it!) They can always be re-added if desired, after all.

Did I see a mention somewhere that there will eventually be an "add a single code" type option, too? That'd be great; sometimes I just have that one stubborn baby!

Edited by sorenna

Really, really not liking the "click on something and it opens a popup in front of the page" thing!  Eeek.  Much preferred the frame at the bottom of the page method.  Popups are Not A Thing I Want, personally!  It obscures my view of the page and it takes longer to load, I think.

The new popup is convenient for viewing lineages, for example.

But it really gets in the way when I want to give clicks to the eggs or hatchlings in the Clinic:

• With the old setup (clicks open in a frame at the bottom of the page), I could give clicks to a whole row of eggs by doing : click, move the mouse over the next one, check that the page has loaded in the frame below, click, move the mouse over the next one, ... and so on.
  • With the new setup (clicks open in a popup window), I need two clicks and a lot of mouse movements for every egg: click, wait for the popup to open, move the mouse out of the popup, click to close the popup, move the mouse back to where it was and try to remember where the next egg is, click, wait for the popup to open, move the mouse out of the popup, ... and so on.
Edited by Bugzilla

I don't click eggs unless specifically asked, and don't want or need clicks for any of my eggs and hatchlings, so a pop-up doesn't bother me in the least. I haven't seen it at all. Maybe it will make my babies safer, acting as a deterrent for those who are obsessed about clicking everything.

Running the viewer is far more important to me, since the UVs are necessary, while clicks are not, and that seems to be working without any problems.

I am seeing Lineages in the frame at the bottom of the page, and not in a pop-up.

I approve greatly of the popup feature for when you give views. However, it does make it a bit harder to click other eggs in a smooth succession. Hmmm.

And thank you for continuing the site. It looks amazing.

Oh goodness, I'm so sorry to hear about Agrona. Thoughts go out to her family.

Thank you for all the hard work, bbik!

On that note: I've always wanted a hatchery where clicking the 'check on this one' button did NOT automatically move a hatchling in the egg section to the hatchie section; can't it just be removed, period? Does anybody really want their fresh 7d0h hatchie going straight into the nursery for MORE views? (Maybe they do, and I'm just weird! But I'm always worried that being continuously viewed from the moment they hatch will make them sick and they'll die while I'm at work and don't know about it!) They can always be re-added if desired, after all.

I'm less likely to use a hatchery if it doesn't automatically move my hatchling from the nest to the nursery. I also would like them to automatically move into the ER when they're ERs if they're on the site. I'm less likely to use a site if they don't do those things.

I do not want my eggs moved to ER without any action on my part! That is one of the things I have always liked about this site and DragHatch. I get to decide when my eggs should be ERed! I tend to hover, though, and keep a close watch on my eggs, so they very seldom need an ER. Usually the only ones I ER are the ones I pick up from the AP.

I do not want my eggs moved to ER without any action on my part! That is one of the things I have always liked about this site and DragHatch. I get to decide when my eggs should be ERed! I tend to hover, though, and keep a close watch on my eggs, so they very seldom need an ER. Usually the only ones I ER are the ones I pick up from the AP.

Ditto, This is something I want to choose!

An option to auto or er manually would be ok( but a lot more work I am sure)

Don't know about the pop-up as I use control/ click and everything opens in a tab. I can close them all at once-- after they have completely loaded biggrin.gif

I can see it being irritating

@sorenna

on moving hatchlings::: do hatchlings ever get sick?? mine never do ( unless they were as eggs( like prizes and avatars) I leave mine until they gender, right now mine range from 2500 to 5100, not really necessary but I don't bother to move them once hatched and really would like them kept until I DECIDE to take them out.

too much automation removes some of the fun part

Edited by dragonpuck

I stopped using DragHatch because they don't. And if this one doesn't, I'll find another site to use. I tend to wait until my dragons get down under 6d before adding because if I add them before then then they DO get sick.

I stopped using DragHatch because they don't. And if this one doesn't, I'll find another site to use. I tend to wait until my dragons get down under 6d before adding because if I add them before then then they DO get sick.

ER has always been an option on this site- for as long as I have been using it anyway----

When adding your dragons, at the very bottom it says "Update dragon details? (Not recommended if Dragon Cave is lagging.)" with a checkbox next to it.

What does that mean exactly?

Just tossing this out there.

You need to get new URL code for your signature buttons and banners and new banners and buttons for your new site wink.gif

Maybe a generous artist would just add NEW to your banners and they could be pointed to your new site?

There are plenty of sites that auto-ER -- Silvi's, Egg Drop Soup, Valley Sherwood, to name the ones I am sure of.

This site never has, and I hope never will. We need both kinds.

Last time I tested with er egg on DragHatch they ended up in the ER anyway without help from me. It's been awhile since I checked so it might have changed. Nevermind, I got names mixed up and was thinking of another site.

On other notes, the pop up when clicking a dragon is loading a bit faster tonight than it was this morning for me. This morning sometimes it failed to load at all. It's nice on the add dragon page so you can double check if you are adding the right dragon and not the one didn't want in as you're trying to trade it. On the view page it's more inconvient, the box the old site had was a little nicer at that section of the site.

Please, please, please, do not have the site auto ER eggs and hatchlings at four days. This is one of the things that has made the site so dear to me as it is the last site that I use that doesn't auto er and I wish more were that way (the others that were that way have folded and no longer exist).

Looking forward to the return of the trackers and lineage viewer. I really miss the lineage viewer already!

Edited by Dracaena

To repeat: Everything that was on the old site will be back on the new one. That includes the check-all box for the daycare, the single-code-add ER, the manual-clean stars in the viewer, the ND ARs, the inbred checker, lineage viewer, trackers...

For those of you feeling bad about reporting bugs: Please don't feel bad! Some of them I already know about, and just didn't have time to deal with before making sure you guys had something reasonably functional to transfer to (namely the issues with the viewer). Others I might have overlooked (like the problem that botched the auto-cleaner at the start). So feel free to report them. I do keep an eye on this thread, even if I don't reply specifically.

Regarding feedback: That's good too! I knew going into it that some of the changes might be questionable, but I hoped they would be ok, so I decided to chance it. But if too many people have problems, I can certainly reconsider, so please let me know what you think, good or bad!

Specific feedback:

* The dragon page popup -- There are a few things here. First, for those who don't see it, it only shows up when JavaScript is enabled. Otherwise, it uses the same old box at the bottom of the page. For those who do see it, I also wasn't sure if it might be a bit slower (that might be something that can be tweaked when I have time, too; I'll have to see), but I was hoping it would be more convenient for looking at the pages, at the very least. And it sounds like that goal was met! I hadn't thought of the speed-clicking as much, so that's a valid concern, but I'm not sure whether that or the visibility takes priority. However, there are actually a variety of ways to close that box when you're done with it. The obvious is clicking outside of it. Alternatively, hitting Esc also works, and I believe Q or W or some letter works as well. Does that help those of you who dislike it when mass-clicking?

* Color contrast -- I'll have to think about that one. I had actually checked with several people to see if there was enough contrast, and on several different screens myself, and while it wasn't entirely perfect, it was generally satisfactory. I do have some other options in mind to add soon, though, that might help as well, so if you're willing to be patient until then, and let me know if that solves it for you, that would be grand. smile.gif

* Automatically moving hatched eggs into the nursery, or adding <4d dragons to the Clinic -- The first will stick around. It has always bugged me when sites have not done that in the past, so I will be keeping it in. Plus, unless a dragon is already sick before it hatches, the odds of it getting sick right after hatching are pretty low as well. The <4d auto-add, however, will not happen. There have been plenty of people who have been frustrated at not being able to use sites because they only want a steady trickle of views, not a mass influx, and auto-adding eliminates that option and takes control of the dragon away from its owner.

* Signature images, both static and stat-based -- Both will be back. The stat-based ones will take longer, but the rest should be ready shortly.

* The "Update dragon details" option -- Previously, the only way to get 100% current stats (views, time, etc.) about a dragon was to resubmit your scroll name from the starting daycare page. There were requests to have stats update when add/remove selections are updated. Mostly, it seems like that would be unnecessary overhead, but for those who would like it, now it's available. It has the added bonus of allowing you to leave the tab open for hours and just check that box to update things, without having to start again with the name submission to avoid the "these stats are outdated" error you would otherwise get. A small change, but hopefully good for some.

is there an auto-view thing that I can just do something else and it will automatically click the thingos (like another click site does)?

is there an auto-view thing that I can just do something else and it will automatically click the thingos (like another click site does)?

I don't like that idea, as some people raise their dragons with the intent to get as few clicks as possible. We should try to find a way to do this so they can still use the site, too.

..wow my phone typing skills are terrible today.

Edited by silver_chan

I don't like that idea, as some people raise their dragons with the intent to get as few clicks as possible. We should try to find a way to do this so they can still use the site, too.

..wow my phone typing skills are terrible today.

^^ Thank you, silver_chan! smile.gif

I try to raise mine with no clicks at all, and love the auto-viewers, but would hate to see any kind of auto-clicker added to the site. It would make AoND unusable for me.

Views/Unique Views are necessary. Clicks are not needed. <3

Thank you, bbik, for the update on the features. It looks pretty good to me, as it is, both the colors and layout, and it will be nice to see all your lovely Extras as they return. smile.gif

I don't know if it counts for a click or not, but for those having issues w/the pop-up windows:

If you have a tabbed browser (and most people do these days), you can always CTRL+click or click your scroll wheel (if you have a mouse where your scroll wheel is also a button) and the view pages will open new tabs.

It confused me at first, reading the thread. I'm so used to wheel-clicking & having tabs open that I had to force myself to left-click an egg. biggrin.gif

We have a new site!

==> The Allure of Neglected Dragons @ <a href='http://allureofnds.net' target='_blank'>http://allureofnds.net</a>

It is definitely not a finished product, but it should be functional.

Right now, the Daycare is the only part that is available, it's missing a couple of its original features, and it's not as well tested as I would have liked. It has a few new things as well, though. Specifically:

• The "check all" box will be coming back. I haven't had time to do that part yet.
  • The ER has been renamed "Clinic" in favor of having the ER section for the true emergencies. (The code-adding version will also be back eventually, so don't panic, those of you who liked/used it!)
  • If you could all share some preferences on where you would like the new "Lineage" column to be (which other two columns should it be between?), that would be great!
Everything else will come back as well, but it may take a while. In the meantime, at least we still have something!

This also means:

• Anyone who hasn't saved their on-site data (from the Trackers or wherever else there might be something) should do so NOW, because I expect the original site to disappear tonight. I will be leaving everything except the homepage and the daycare online until it dies, to give people the chance to do final checks.
  • When adding dragons into the new site, please keep an eye on them for a while, until we get a critical mass of dragons again. The first ones added are likely to get far more views than normal, purely due to lack of other dragons to assist the rotation.

Yay! Thank you. I really like the new changes biggrin.gif

Do you really mean "click" them? Or do you just mean give them views? Because I don't know of any site that does that and wouldn't want it.

If you mean give them views, then yes, this site will run in the background and give views. You just need to mark the settings on the left side of the home page for what you want, submit it, and forget it.

@bbik - I am pretty sure that someone else already reported that those settings don't appear to stick once you hit submit, although they actually do. Also, at the top of the page I am seeing The current settings need roughly 0 hours to show each dragon once. instead of the actual time.

Edited by purplehaze

Oh good, I'm glad the new site is up. AoND is my primary hatchery. biggrin.gif

I'll really miss the embedded panel that showed the page of the egg/hatchie we clicked, though. It was nice not having to close extra tabs and popups. AoND was the only hatchery where I didn't have to deal with that. sad.gif