dakota1431

Naming, after parents.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/0WeD

BilmyLove - the awesome person who gave me my first Yule - grabbed the water egg and named the Hatchie after parents from my scroll.

I am so happy about it! thank you, BilmyLove!

Edited by ksew

I have two Yulebucks that I tried to name after their parents. Sleipnir Candy-Cane, I at least gave the last name to that one. The other is Wild Yule, who's parents are Wildroot and Dreaming Yule.

I think naming after parents is awesome. I've had one person do it for me, using my surname ("xx of Clan Carrot"). It made me so happy that I've started doing it as often as possible. Speaking of which, I just named my little Yule after his father Ebeneser... "Merry Scrooge Carrot." tongue.gif

I had someone do that with this guy. It made me smile a lot, especially since the resulting name sounded like it'd fit with the original naming convention I'd been using when I named the father (characters from Arthurian legend, that is).

Of my (admittedly not many, considering how many I have overall) named dragons, I think all of them (not counting CBs, obviously) are named after one or both parents in some way, mostly by combining the names of the parents, but sometimes naming them after one parent, usually with a reference to the other parent's breed. Here are (I think) all of my named dragons (again, obviously excluding CBs); the ones with wub.gif next to them are products of my own breedings (not because I like my own breedings better, but because I needed an easily-visible symbol and I suck at computers, so I had to take what I could get wink.gif):

Androcles Porfirio: "Androcles" means both "Man" and "Warrior"; I thought it was appropriate since both parents had names related to war, and the father seemed to suffer from "Boy Named Sue" syndrome: the mother is Marena Marena ("Marena" means "From the god Mars"; Mars being the Roman god of war), and the father vika but a boy ("Vika" is normally a girl's name; it means "Conqueror" or "Victory"). "Porfirio" means "He who is dressed in purple" in Latin, the same language that Androcles comes from; the dragon in question is a Purple Dorsal Dragon.

Green Author: Frill Dragon named after Striped mother Write Goddess.

Flaming Force: named for mother Flaming Dawn and father Golden Force.

wub.gifCarnation Femininity: Pink Dragon named for mother Fair-Haired Lavender (color) and father Toothed Masculinity (gender, after Pink Dragons' Influencing ability).

Siamese Thoughts: a Split dragon named for both parents: mother Siamese Twinkie and father Trapped Thoughts. I must admit, I kind of like the imagery of this one.

Ilona Marine: an Electric dragon named for both parents (mother is Lily Rose Marine, father is Mando Marine) and her breed ("Ilona" means "Bright Light" in Greek).

Mishaal Aren: Here's one where I kept the surname, and made the forname a breed-reference. Mother is Melia Aren, father is Fir Aren, and "Mishaal" means "Torch" or "Light" in Arabic. Not perfect for a Red Dragon, but I liked and it sounded, and I do accociate torches (and Red Dragons!) with heat.

wub.gifKrystal Muse: mother is Krystal Teardrop, father is Green Author.

Prince Black Sheep: a Black Dragon whose parents were a "King" and "Queen" (Queen Miliana Quaria and King Kaelhen Whetovail).

M-Red Daire: mother is F-Red Brighid and father is M-Gold Raw. I kept the tradition of using "M-[breed]" for males and "F-[breed]" for females, and the name "Daire" is also a tribute: it means "Fertile" in Irish, the language "Brighid" comes from. ("Fertile" is a breed-reference in this case, even though incubation isn't actually related to fertility.)

wub.gifPrince Ice Krystal: mother is Krystal Muse, father is Prince Black Sheep.

wub.gifM-Red Krystal: Mother is Krystal Muse, and father is M-Red Daire. I really like when my name-combining systems lead to merged lineages of family-based names.

wub.gifKrystal Passion: mother is Krystal Teardrop, father is M-Red Daire. I took the naming in a different direction this time, naming the dragon "Krystal" for my traditional Ice Dragon name and "Passion" for the color Red (her father's breed).

wub.gifAutumn's County Fair: mother is Autumn Sugar Maple, father is Autumn Apple Harvest. The name is a reference to both parents: I think of the fall county fair as being where you see autumn leaves and eat in-season apples.

Wicked Ninja: named for mother Wicked Blood and great-grandmother Justice Ninja.

Edited by MASHFanficChick

2 dragons make a egg and you abandon or gift it and they name it mixed with the parents name like this

http://dragcave.net/lineage/Vuic

i gave away a green egg in ap and somebody got it and mixed the two names (:

i just wish i knew the person's account and say how awesome that was

Death Angel of Awesome lol, it doesn't get any cuter than this

Somebody named the offspring of my Jackie Kennedy and Henry Sifilink Kennedy. Then, I completely coincidentally picked up Sifilink Kennedy's offspring as an ER egg. Since they had continued the surname, I did the same - the frozen hatchie is called Rerun Kennedy.

A while ago, I bred a pink x marrow pink egg just because people were saying there weren't enough pretty lineaged pinks, and abandoned the egg. My marrow was named Rex Tremendae, which is a stanza from the Dies Irae, probably best known as a super-dramatic, super-awesome part of choral Requiems. The whole line goes Rex tremendae majestatis.

I just saw that someone named the pink Requiem Majestatis! I wish I knew who you were, and I really love the name <3

A while ago, I bred a pink x marrow pink egg just because people were saying there weren't enough pretty lineaged pinks, and abandoned the egg. My marrow was named Rex Tremendae, which is a stanza from the Dies Irae, probably best known as a super-dramatic, super-awesome part of choral Requiems. The whole line goes Rex tremendae majestatis.

I just saw that someone named the pink Requiem Majestatis! I wish I knew who you were, and I really love the name <3

That is awesome.

I have a gold named Brightsun Gold, who has a gold daughter named Brightsun Nightsky, and a grandchild named Nightsky Sun smile.gif

I abandoned an egg whose parents were Dark Silver and Shrouda on my scroll; whoever got it named it Silver Shroud <3 I love you, whoever you are x3

I do it as much as I can biggrin.gif

A few people have done it for my dragons (I love you all btw xd.png):

My CB black pair has a lot of their children named after them, His name means exile in greek and her name means accepted (something along those lines) in greek. Lots of people combine their names or name the offspring after them <3

His Progeny (granted a lot of the children are mine, cuz they are my fave pair tongue.gif)

This stripe is one of my favorites and I defiantly named it after it's father~ (who has an awesome name <3)

...those are just a few xd.png I could go on for pages about this topic

I always continue the last name of the father of the egg. If I get one from the AP and its father doesn't have a last name, I search through the lineage to find the closest male relative with a last name. The only exceptions I have is the Levine-Damon line, because I wanted a pair to have children with a joint last name.

I have been working on a Pink/Purple staircase line, and have found that my Pink girls have dropped far more Purple eggs than I can use. I do check up on all of the abandoned babes, though, and was delighted to find this guy, http://dragcave.net/lineage/52M0 keeping the themes of the line in beautiful form! biggrin.gif

This is my longest thread for this line, http://dragcave.net/lineage/KpAh so you can see the naming scheme. All but the CB pair here are on my scroll. smile.gif

I love it when this happens. ^.^

Recently the same person picked up two of my bred eggs and gave them both really pretty names based on their parents:

Love's Sweetest Aspect x Weeping Cherry = Sweetest Winter Cherry (a winter)

Morning of my Betrothal x Arazar = Lavender Morning (a purple)

I absolutely LOVE it when people name dragons after their parents! I haven't abandoned many, but none that have been abandoned so far have been named afer their father. sad.gif

Oh well, it's still fun to name mine after parents happy.gif.

TheCompleteAnimorph -- that is TOO funny! laugh.gif

Both of the parent eggs were gifted to me from 2 different members... I tried to keep both the lines going, with my own Tag added when I named this little Pink..

(WL in the black side stands for "witch/warlock linage")

Pink Witch

I've also dropped and gifted eggs and had their names continued which is lovely..

Horse Dragon <-- made me laugh when this member used my suggestion xd.pngbiggrin.gif

Winter