Cheshire

Bring back the Blacks

I promise not to breed my blacks.

I've only ever bred them once anyway because almost all I pick up from the AP as hatchlings.

Edited by Tatrina

Well... I have one pair of blacks that I'll probably breed, but only because I want a child from them to solidify that pair (so I won't forget about them being paired later and breed one of them with someone else). My first black has only ever given me skywings, my other black pair is done having kids for a while, and I don't have mates for any of my other blacks.

Count me in!

I'll promise to not breed all of mine, except my two CBs. I need a second gen mate for an alt of mine. I traded an inbred gold for one CB and a clean, but long lineaged gold for the other CB. I got the golds from trades too. One took a purple dino the other a CB white. Trade smart and trade up. biggrin.gif

well, I'm not much of a breeder- only bred like 3 eggs- does that count any? I think it's more fun to hunt the cave/AP for more eggs.

I assumed catching rares, in this case, CB blacks, would be part of the 'thrill' of the game. If everything was easy on this site we wouldn't have nearly half of the players as we do. It seems the people who complain are the ones who aren't able to catch certain rares, or possibly mad that their 'two metallics' are hardly worth a CB black now-a-days. If people are going to do this, maybe we shouldn't breed our rares in hopes of more rares showing up in cave drops. Maybe you guys should ask TJ to take away alt blacks altogether so people won't breed their blacks as much in hopes of an alt? This way the demand for CB blacks won't be as high. /end sarcasm

Hi, Meagan,

Blacks are actually *commons* - the ratios of bred to CBs are grossly out of whack.

There's not supposed to be a 'challenge' to catching commons, especially those as essential to breeding as CB Blacks are.

What we do, does affect what is, and what will be in future, available to us, as well as others, and there are times when long-term goals and effects might well be considered, as well as those short-term which may seem more immediate.

Also, if people were breeding for Alts, they'd keep them to hatching, not drop the eggs on the AP without even waiting to check.

More generally:

I have cut back on breeding Blacks to metallics, leaning more toward Stripes and Whites where possible, as Stripes seem to be in higher demand on the AP, and many actively look for CB-parented/low-gen White/metallic lines.

But many people are looking for 2nd-gen Blacks, and I also have lineage lines involving Blacks, so I won't be signing up for 0 Black breeding, although I do think this thread is a wonderful awareness measure.

But the biggest problem seems to me to be with the long-lineaged/inbreds flooding the AP - it's unfortunate that off-forum people can't be made aware of the repercussions involved, so that they could consider their choices perhaps in view of effects that also affect them, as everyone, in terms of available dragons, lineages, etc.

Many of the long-lineaged Blacks are evidently being bred not necessarily in the pursuit of Alts but in such things as metallic breeding, (where the use of long-lineaged mates is not a good idea, either, for breeding, gifting, trading or in the long-term) or breeding from boredom or on the thought that they're doing someone a favour by putting eggs on the AP for others.

(To repeat from above: if people were breeding for Alts, they'd keep them to hatching, and not just drop the eggs on the AP without even waiting to check.)

That said, I'd personally go more for a push in people trying to reduce the numbers of long-lineaged/inbred Blacks bred which are unlikely to be useful to others, although this thread/program may well do enough good on its own, thanks to the various participants and others contributing in their own fashion through the awareness raised by this, to make an appreciable degree of difference to the Cave as a whole.

Kudos to all involved, at any rate.

I would be happy to assist in this smile.gif, i will not breed all but one of my blacks smile.gif (it's a 3rd gen rare x rare, i have to breed him! tongue.gif)

Thanks - blackberry

Also, if people were breeding for Alts, they'd keep them to hatching, not drop the eggs on the AP without even waiting to check.

This was posted today? Argh... I contributed to that problem. Alrighty, I pledge to live the rest of this month black breed-free, and recieve my Alt Blacky on April 18th, my birthday when I hit adulty.

I bred to make an alt black, but the had to abandon the eggs I bred to catch raries for a trade on Soti Dragon. Unfortionately, by the time I caught the rares, the trade offer was gone... and now I regret dropping the almost hatched eggs. T_T

Edited by gondracorn

Are there that many people who fall in the intersection of mindlessly breeding their blacks and going on the forums?

A lot of my breeding looks mindless, but all of it's metallic breeding and when the metallics are high-gen/inbred, their mate is likely to be too, I have so few commons ._. If it was any easier to produce the metallics I would stop breeding all the extra black eggs that come out - the whacked ratios for blacks contribute to more metallics than with any other breed at the moment; stripes, also out of balance at the moment, are also correspondingly good mates. Herein lies the problem for many breeders, I think. The breeds that no one wants to see bred are the best at encouraging eggs of their mate's breed.

There is no such thing as a common x common pair on my scroll if I am not keeping or have a home for every egg from it.

I'll join this. My only Black is CB and I usually only breed him to other CB, but for this I will cease to breed him for a whole month. I really want some more CB Blacks, but the cost to trade for one is beyond me. sad.gif

Sign me up! cool.gif

Are there that many people who fall in the intersection of mindlessly breeding their blacks and going on the forums?

Who are you calling mindless?

If it was any easier to produce the metallics I would stop breeding all the extra black eggs that come out - the whacked ratios for blacks contribute to more metallics than with any other breed at the moment; stripes, also out of balance at the moment, are also correspondingly good mates. Herein lies the problem for many breeders, I think. The breeds that no one wants to see bred are the best at encouraging eggs of their mate's breed.

There is no such thing as a common x common pair on my scroll if I am not keeping or have a home for every egg from it.[/size]

Blacks x Metallics make more metallics? Darn! And I made a promise... you should've said something sooner. T_T Oh well, a promise is a promise.

Edited by gondracorn

Wow, this has had a great response so far, thanks to everybody who signed up! Hopefully with a few m0re pledges we'll begin seeing the CBs return.<3

And as promised, here are big, warm cookies for all the "All Blacks" pledgers.

As much as I love and hoard black dragons, sign me up. I need a CB for a breeding project I want to start.

Edit: I might just grab a whole bunch of them just to free up some space on the AP.

Edited by omgitskairi

I won't be breeding! I've been trying to find non-inbred blacks...but you all know how that's going (I don't think non-inbred blacks exist anymore...). Maybe the CBs will come back!

I have non inbred blacks

sign me up

As much as I love and hoard black dragons, sign me up. I need a CB for a breeding project I want to start.

Edit: I might just grab a whole bunch of them just to free up some space on the AP.

Me too.

:3

I may grab a bunch and kill them when I have time.

Just let them all reach zero or something... earthquake... Overviewing.

I don't know. I want to kill something (pixelized that is).

smile.gif

Edited by Pink

I'll sign up its ridiculous the amount of inbred/ long lineage blacks that are on the AP. I haven't bred my blacks for awhile now unless i have space to try for an alt

Long lineaged blacks also could make good vampire fodder. Many people don't really care about a vampire's lineage and this would also take one black out of the ratios. though this would take the participation of plenty of people.

After some thought, this topic seems off. The only people joining are the people who want to see CB black and not long lineaged blacks, so it stands to say most of these people already don't breed the inbreds to begin with. It's really the people who don't use the forums who need to know, then again they probably won't care either :/

If it's allowed, does anyone have the code for the image in the OP? I'd love to put it in my signature to raise awareness smile.gif

Long lineaged blacks also could make good vampire fodder. Many people don't really care about a vampire's lineage and this would also take one black out of the ratios. though this would take the participation of plenty of people.

After some thought, this topic seems off. The only people joining are the people who want to see CB black and not long lineaged blacks, so it stands to say most of these people already don't breed the inbreds to begin with. It's really the people who don't use the forums who need to know, then again they probably won't care either :/

YES!!!

I had been thinking for some time about starting a thread encouraging those who don't care about lineages which can't be passed along to Bite long-lineaged/inbred dragons, get them out of the breeding pool, at least where possible, as in some cases they may want to Bite CBs for gifts or trades to those who might be bothered by this.

(Maybe you, or someone else, will have started one by the time I have a chance to check out the forum - one can hope, as I haven't had the energy to do it yet myself.)

I do agree with the points made in the second paragraph, but awareness raising due to this thread/program may also spread to at least some off-forum people, and hopefully the result will not be the reduction of low-lineaged Blacks being made available on the AP, while off-forum 3-page inbreds continue to be easily available for future breeding of more and worse.

But sorting through AP Blacks yesterday, I did come across a higher number with less lengthy and messy lineages than has become the apparent norm, so there may already be an effect occurring, to help turn this situation around a bit.