Dr. Paine

Description comments

So, this one has me stumped....

My first HellFire, Male:

My Description:

Spessartitan DeepFire (after the gemstone: Spessartite Garnet) was the 43rd dragon to make his home in the clan cave. Although others of his species may be vicious and cruel, he is anything but. The Clan Mother fervently attributes this to his upbringing among the other clan dragons, and most of the clan elders agree with this rationale. This is not to say that he does not possess a deep fire that burns within, for he has made quite a name for himself as a ferocious defender of the clan and flies beside the strongest dragons of The Red Claw. Surprisingly, none of the Reds have challenged him to date, even Pyropeathius with all his anger and rage tends to avoid conflict with the hellish Spessartitan. There is concern, however, at what might happen if another of his species is ever introduced into the clan cave, and so, the Clan Mother seems to resist the urge to rescue any others of his kind. Spessartitan does not mind this and seems content to remain the clans only Hell Fire!

Posted Comments:

Reject: Vampire dragons could crush him and his clan easily!

Accept:

Accept:

Can anyone explain what the REJECT comment has to do with my dragon, or my description?

(smiles)

I just looked at the description for my albino Tom Bombadillo:

"Hey dol! merry dol! Ring a dong dillo! Ring a dong! Hop along! Fal lal the willow! Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!"

Some of the other dragons think Tom is quite a lackadaisical fellow. He never speaks clearly, only in rhymes and riddles. He sings strange songs with nonsensical words and when he walks he skips. Still, for those who can see through the riddles and skipping, he is wise beyond measure.

Tom's best friend is Bright Goldberry. She often joins him while he is singing, adding her beautiful voice to his odd rhymes.

and one of the comments said:

Accept: You got his name from the Unicorn Chronicles, right? Very awesome.

eeehm, thanks for finding it awesome, but I am sorta miffed to find my very obvious ode to JRR Tolkien compared to something with unicorns...

For my Red Dorsal, Peanut Butter Latias~

Latias is obsessed with peanut butter.

As in seriously obsessed. She eats it, bathes in it, spreads it on her fins. The other dragons have no idea how this lust for peanut butter began, but some believe it to be so huge that she would tear the world apart for the gooey substance.

One day, some mages had left a barrel of peanut butter instead of the raspberry jam Emerald ordered. Dismayed, Emerald offered it to the dragons, but none of them dared try it, for the barrel was emitting a strange sound. Suddenly, a small Red Dorsal hatchling burst out of the barrel, completely covered in peanut butter. She was named Latias after a dragon Emerald had read about, and Peanut Butter for obvious reasons.

So be warned...if your peanut butter is vanishing mysteriously, then Latias may have paid you a visit.

User Comments

* Accept:

* Accept: I LOVE this!

* Accept: I love it!

Thanks so much n_n

Yes, I do have Jelly Latios as her mate, I didn't write his description yet though. And my liking for jam will show through again in the description of their child which I own, Jamjar tongue.gif

Actually I had a question for description writers, and I thought I'd post here. ( Sorry if it's not the right place, I'll delete if necessary)

What kind of feedback would you like? I mean, I love reading descriptions, and would like most of the time to post something, and try to do so, but sometimes I'm afraid to be hurtful, or to be too severe with my comments... so besides "I love this!" (which I actually have written a few times ^^') do you mind if there are some grammar/spelling corrections and stuff like that?

I don't mind corrections, they make my descriptions better (:

So I'd say corrections are a good idea unless they're too harsh.

Actually I had a question for description writers, and I thought I'd post here. ( Sorry if it's not the right place, I'll delete if necessary)

What kind of feedback would you like? I mean, I love reading descriptions, and would like most of the time to post something, and try to do so, but sometimes I'm afraid to be hurtful, or to be too severe with my comments... so besides "I love this!" (which I actually have written a few times ^^') do you mind if there are some grammar/spelling corrections and stuff like that?

However are we to improve if our mistakes aren't pointed out to us? smile.gif

When I am reviewing descriptions, I like to indicate any spelling/grammatical errors, so that the description can be corrected and is more likely to be approved. If the necessary corrections overrun the space allotted, I direct the writer to the Proofreading thread for further assistance. Part of the review process is to help members get their descriptions corrected so that they can be approved, and relieve some of the pressure from the moderators and save them some time.

Sorry to sidetrack the topic a bit, but...

Could someone please tell me where I have to look to review the descriptions?

Sorry to sidetrack the topic a bit, but...

Could someone please tell me where I have to look to review the descriptions?

At the top center of your scroll, just above the badges.

Hmmm, I have only two pending descriptions at the moment.

This one is for Big Sister, my female Vampire.

"Big Sister", as she has come to be known, is as aloof and enigmatic as she is dangerous. As a child, she was shunned and looked down upon with disapproving eyes, for the other dragons living within the cave thought her more a monster than an innocent hatchling. Remembering the mistreatments she suffered in her youth, she fiercely protects the young Vampire hatchlings living inside the cave today with her life, not wanting any of them to live with the same pain she had to so many years ago. Though of course she is nocturnal, very little escapes her watchful eyes, even during the daytime. It is said that any who attempt to harm a Vampire hatchling will meet their end in Big Sister's lethal jaws, the haunting echo of her deathly screech the last sound they ever hear.

Accept:

Accept: Good for you, Big Sister! I think my vamps would like her.

And this is for Sander Cohen, my male Vampire.

Sander is a self-described poet and artist, and unfortunately, also completely mad, even for a Vampire. Evidence of his "genius" can be seen throughout his dimly-lit cave, where he spends the day until nightfall. Odd bits of poetry have been scratched into the cave walls by wickedly sharp black claws, along with unusual symbols and drawings done in what suspiciously resembles blood. He has even been known to try luring unwary dragons inside, and attempting to cover their bodies with clay and turn them into "beautiful sculptures" to adorn his cavernous home. At night, one can sometimes hear his unnerving voice, cackling and singing to himself as he hunts for new victims.

Accept: I love this! It's so creative!

Accept:

Accept:

Thanks very much, commenter! I'm flattered. That wouldn't have happened to be any of you, would it?

(Of course, each name and description is a sneaky reference to the game BioShock, so I can't COMPLETELY take credit for creativity... I only adapted their character personalities to how a medieval dragon might behave. smile.gif )

Edited by UndeadRaptor

While I have five approved descriptions so far, I have several more pending. In checking on their status, I have collected these comments:

Adam Red Fire

Adam Red Fire appeared in the Verdant Valley, billowing flame and smoke, and bellowing with laughter. His good nature glowed around him and he was readily welcomed into the community. While the flat floor of the valley is lush and productive, he quickly settled in the Southern Volcano, building a Weyr to become home to many Red, Nocturne, Ember and other dragons, while still centering around Mentha Verdant's Mint Garden and School for Hatchlings. Becoming fast friends with Dark Paris, O'Neill, Bra'tac, Teal'c and other fierce defenders of the community, he also loves the art, stories and songs that flow from Mentha's garden. He seems to have quietly paired with Lyricist, the beautiful and mysterious Nocturne, with many talented young Red and Nocturne Dragons graduating from the Verdant School.

* Accept:

* Accept: VERY good. I love it!

* Accept:

biggrin.gif I love it that someone else loves it! laugh.gif

Lyricist simply has three Accepts, with no additional comments.

O'Neill (named for Jack O'Neill of SG1)

O'Neill and his best friend, Dani'el, were Ochredrakes born in the great Dragon Cave. Trained as singers, Dani'el learned  all the songs of the Dragon histories, but O'Neill preferred adventure, wanting to travel, even to the stars if he could, and was often bored by the details Dani'el studied. They heard of Mentha Verdant, his friends and plans, and how they left to explore new lands. O'Neill wanted to explore as well, and finally talked Dani'el into making the journey with him. Flying for days, they arrived among an obnoxious flock of Flamingo Wyverns. While avoiding battle, or becoming Wyvern food, they learned Verdant lay just to the north, got the Wyverns arguing with each other, and slipped away in the confusion. They arrived in Verdant the next morning. Dani'el was welcomed as a teacher for the school, but O'Neill saw the vulnerability to Wyvern attack. He found his niche in the new community, planning and directing it's defense, protecting his friends and, in time, his family.

* Accept:

* Accept: Oooh, shiny!

* Accept:

I love the Shiny comment, as O'Neill in the series is a little ADD, and very easily distracted by shiny objects! xd.png

Dani'el and Ultra Mariner comments are again, simply three Accepts. Mariner Barbossa and Lapis Ocean Sky each have two Accepts, and all are without Rejects or Abstains on the current edits. Maybe our random rejecter (whoever it was leaving Rejects on a number of the very well-written posts) has disappeared! smile.gif

@Nieske - I also love Tom Bomdadil and Goldberry, even thinking about using some variation of the names for my own dragons, but I have no idea what the Unicorn Chronicles are. (My age may be showing!) JRR Tolkien Lives Forever!

I have a question... one of my Hellfire males' description says that his mate is a red Flamingo Wyvern, and a commenter said that they aren't red. I know the egg description says pink, but the adult dragon looks red to me, and females eat more of the algae that causes the colouring. I also described her as bright red in her own description, and got two "accept" comments. Should I change it or is it okay to call a Flamingo Wyvern red?

Edited by dustpuppy

I'd say it's okay. Pink is, after all, a lighter shade of red tongue.gif

Sauron of Rohan had a difficult life. First, he was abandoned by the owner of his parents. Then, a savage vampire bit him.  A young woman called Rinikka found him and took him in. But, years after that, when Sauron was adult, he started a fight with another one of Rinikka's vampires. This vampire killed him on the night of Halloween. Rinikka was very sad, and so she tried to revive him with magic, but something wrong happened. She brought life back into Sauron, but he was no longer a Vampire... He was a Zombie... but, after all, Sauron defeated death three times, and Rinikka still loves him.

* Accept:

* Accept: please help me get a zombie!

* Accept: Wow, awesome story: He defeated death three times: 1- abandoned, 2- vampire's bite, 3- zombification

LOL

Question:

Description Status: Awaiting Moderation

Why is it not approved yet?

Edited by -Rinikka-

Why is it not approved yet?

Cause I'm human. DDD|

I also beg to differ that it's not approved yet. alot.png

Cause I'm human. DDD|

I also beg to differ that it's not approved yet. alot.png

Sock, you totally rock! You may be human, but you are an awesome representation of the species! I now have 12 approved descriptions, and just another 103 to write! (So far! laugh.gif) Guess I need to get to work now! With everything else you need to do, thank you for taking the time to read our silly stories! wub.gif

I like to review descriptions when I am bored and I always try to be as helpful and encouraging as possible.

It's a little disappointing when you get people who can't do the same. I got these comments for one of my descriptions:

User Comments

Abstain: Erm...she's a female...not an "it"

Reject: I don't like it, sorry :/

1. My description was written to be in the same style as the scroll, by referring to the dragon as an it. Does this person get offended when their dragon page says 'and look, IT has grown wings, IT must be close to maturing!'? dry.gif

2. The whole point of reviewing descriptions is not to simply say whether or not you liked the description, so telling me that you did not like it does not help in the slightest. sad.gif

I like to review descriptions when I am bored and I always try to be as helpful and encouraging as possible.

It's a little disappointing when you get people who can't do the same. I got these comments for one of my descriptions:

User Comments

At least it's not as bad as spending 20 minutes writing a really good description and seeing:

Accept:

Accept: cool

Accept:

Honestly, I hate it when I get this. I always make a point of adding comments, suggestions and praise to descriptions, partly to be helpful, partly because there's something really bleak and mechanical about a simple button click, especially when I was hoping to get compliments...

Edited by Chess Tyrant

User Comments

Was this description on a frozen hatchling? The reason I ask, is that reviewers can see the gender of a S1 hatchling, and many use the description process to learn it, so the reviewer may have thought they were helping you with that.

1. My description was written to be in the same style as the scroll, by referring to the dragon as an it. Does this person get offended when their dragon page says 'and look, IT has grown wings, IT must be close to maturing!'? dry.gif

Meh, I'm going to take issue to this one. Hatchlings are referred to as its for logistical reasons. Namely, they start out ungendered (literally an it, at least as far as one can tell). Once they do gender, they already have the s1 description referring to them as an it -- I'm sure it would be a nightmare to go through and change the code for every hatchling that becomes an s2. Nowhere in the adult description are the dragons referred to as its (though to be fair, they're not called hes or shes either).

Description reviews are absolutely not supposed to be used for what you like or not, though. How frustrating! D:

And Chess Tyrant, someone saying "cool" is better than just a plain blank accept, IMO, though certainly some nice solid crit would be better.

Well, I figure I'll hop on this bandwagon (and will probably end up falling off again) and share a few comments I've gotten for one of my -ahem- more unique dragons...

Ebony-and-Ivory (Male Black [regular] Frozen Hatchling [matured])

After annoying the Magi dragon, Loki Orangewings, for the last time, this young dragon found himself under a most unusual curse. Not only is he doomed to remain a hatchling, his roars, hisses, and even his voice have all been replaced by the sound of piano music. Called "Ebon" for short, he has found a way to communicate through music; mimicking songs and sounds from the instrument he takes his name from. When he is happy, his sing a little melody; when he is angry, it will sound as if someone just slammed their fist on the piano keys! (He can even rattle the spines on his back in succession to sound like someone running their hand down the keys). While he can mimic any sound that can come from a piano (even songs that require two hands to play), he cannot just 'sing' any arrangement he wants right off the bat; like any musician, he has to practice elaborate songs a lot before being able to 'sing' them perfectly.

Comments:

Accept: Response upon reading "...piano music.": WHAT?!? X-D ... After finished: Wow...what an interesting situation. Love the concept, and you play it well - situationally realistic. I applaud! Wonderful!

Accept: very creative!

Accept:

Accept:

Reject:

*points up at the reject* wut?

That first one made me laugh. :3 Makes me wonder who left that one

Meh, I'm going to take issue to this one. Hatchlings are referred to as its for logistical reasons. Namely, they start out ungendered (literally an it, at least as far as one can tell). Once they do gender, they already have the s1 description referring to them as an it -- I'm sure it would be a nightmare to go through and change the code for every hatchling that becomes an s2. Nowhere in the adult description are the dragons referred to as its (though to be fair, they're not called hes or shes either).

Description reviews are absolutely not supposed to be used for what you like or not, though. How frustrating! D:

And Chess Tyrant, someone saying "cool" is better than just a plain blank accept, IMO, though certainly some nice solid crit would be better.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who finds that frusterating, when you click to see whatever comments you someone wrote for you and find a whole bunch of blank accepts. I'm considering writing a long one soon here and randomly put some odd sentance, just to see if I still get a bunch of blank accepts. Why do people even bother reviewing descriptions if they aren't even going to read them :/