21Phoenix

Infertile Eggs

I like the idea of having a infertile egg show up with a fertile egg. This way you get your egg you needed from the breeding, and you have one for egg sprite collecting purposes. Something like multiclutching, but the extra egg is infertile.

I'd love to collect frozen eggs - and out of all the options I've seen so far, this one seems the most reasonable. It has my support smile.gif

I'd like if infertile eggs could be created by breeding dragons during their breeding cooldown. That would also avoid the problem of male-only holiday dragons.

How ?

To get a holiday egg you would still have to breed it in the holiday period.

How ?

To get a holiday egg you would still have to breed it in the holiday period.

Holiday breeding was 7 days during the last events, so if infertile eggs resulted from breeding during cooldown, it would be possible to breed both the normal multiclutch of fertile eggs and an infertile one a couple of days later during the holiday period. You'd just have to do the normal breeding rather early in the event so there's a couple of days left when the holiday dragon will still breed true, but an infertile egg will result from it due to cooldown not being over yet.

Not sure if that was what you mean? You'd still have to wait for the respective holiday event to get the egg sprite, but I don't see a big problem with that.

The tossed eggs would be unable to be gotten much like dragons released into the Wilderness are no longer attainable. However there would not be a page showing them. They would just cease to exist.

Why not? I think it would be nice to see wild eggs.

Also, maybe the eggs should go in a badge.

What about male-only breeds?

(Also, Guardians of Nature?)

Edited by MessengerDragon

To be honest I'd rather it was just an action on the egg page itself, such as with freezing /naming /breeding / what have you.

Having infertile eggs show up while breeding, while realistic, will also cause outrage at the inevitable gold, silver and prize eggs that turn up after much breeding only to turn out to be infertile and therefore completely useless.

Maybe something that can only be done on bred eggs/ eggs over 6 days old? Reasoning being that then you can blow out the egg without there being any significant development/ embryo there to cause drama.

Gonna bump this with a short discussion I just had with a couple of DC-going friends.

[15:47] Keileon I just had a possibly stupid DC idea

[15:47] Keileon You know how people want to be able to freeze eggs?

[15:47] LordXGigaX Yeah

[15:48] Keileon I was thinking that could tie in with the ND's infertility; it breeds with another dragon to produce an infertile egg of the /mate's/ breed that will never hatch

[15:48] Keileon Keeps the rarity of the action relevant, makes sense in-universe

[15:48] LordXGigaX .... That.....

[15:49] LordXGigaX Actually sounds good

[15:49] Keileon I'm afraid to suggest it on the forum. ._.

[15:49] Keileon Mainly because NDs are ultra rare and half the forum would be against it for that reason

[15:50] Keileon (And then the inevitable "but what if I want a frozen <insert unbreedable here> egg?)

[15:50] Keileon +"

[15:52] Keileon ... Then there's the problem with the GoN and avatars... I suppose you'd get a refusal with a GoN and produce Avatar eggs if you breed an ND with an Avatar?

[15:52] Nate Then address those points in the OP?

[15:52] Keileon GoNs refuse Frills, too

[15:52] Keileon Mmm.

[15:53] Keileon Gonna go trawl around for the egg freezing topic

The only real problem I see is how rare NDs are, but I'm thinking this could just be one method, rather than the only one?

It's an okay idea, but it's very hard to get NDs and yes I think many will be in absolute uproar over it if implemented. NDs would have to be made a bit easier to make and discussion on the creation of them might have to be allowed.

I think unbreedables should be able to have their eggs frozen, too, which wouldn't be possible if you wanted to breed them with anything. Unless that anything can actually breed with them.

The main problem is that NDs are unbreedable because they're so sickly and frail that, first of all, the other dragons don't want to mate with because they don't want any of that passed on. Secondly, their frailty makes it so they probably wouldn't last through the breeding process anyway. It's also likely that their sickness and frailness makes them infertile. I'm actually not sure if something infertile can lay eggs? I know that eggs can be infertile, but I'm not an expert on egg-laying creatures so I don't even know if something infertile can lay eggs to begin with.

Why not allow unbreedables to lay unfertilized eggs as some kind of BSA - even though this BSA would be specific for more than one breed? ("Fold" for Papers... no idea what to call it for Cheeses, though. Dinos and chicken might just lay an unfertilized egg. NDs... Do we need ND eggs to collect? If so, females and even NDs of unknown gender might unfertilized ND eggs, too. The only problem left is how to deal with vampire dragons. Maybe another new result of failed vamp bites?)

It's an okay idea, but it's very hard to get NDs and yes I think many will be in absolute uproar over it if implemented. NDs would have to be made a bit easier to make and discussion on the creation of them might have to be allowed.

I think unbreedables should be able to have their eggs frozen, too, which wouldn't be possible if you wanted to breed them with anything. Unless that anything can actually breed with them.

The main problem is that NDs are unbreedable because they're so sickly and frail that, first of all, the other dragons don't want to mate with because they don't want any of that passed on. Secondly, their frailty makes it so they probably wouldn't last through the breeding process anyway. It's also likely that their sickness and frailness makes them infertile. I'm actually not sure if something infertile can lay eggs? I know that eggs can be infertile, but I'm not an expert on egg-laying creatures so I don't even know if something infertile can lay eggs to begin with.

My Godmother is medically infertile, but that doesn't mean she can't conceive. Just means she has miscarriages. Infertility is not a one-size-fits-all, I would imagine the same could be true for Dragons as well.

Alternatively, you could make "Unbreedables" into Breedables, just render them infertile regardless of what they breed to. So they might produce an egg, but that egg would never hatch. It would fit nicely into RP lore while not really changing the way Unbreedables are used, since all their eggs would never hatch.

Edit// Meant to include this, but it could be labeled as "Inexperienced" Dragons or something like that too- anyone who has ever raised birds knows that the first time a couple tries for babies, they are rarely successful...but still produce eggs! They just never hatch.

Edited by kecemis

Dinos and chicken might just lay an unfertilized egg.

It did, in TJ's dragon encyclopedia screenshot, say that chickens lay unfertilised eggs (which make good omelettes xd.png ) so that would fit in.

Yes - but try to get a chicken to lay a dragon egg... xd.png

If someone already said this, I'm sorry, I only read the first page.

For male holidays, why not have them do the same as the dinos- go find an egg?

Also, I just had a thought... some eggs have descriptions suggesting they are, well, alive... like Howler Drake eggs. Would the description change?

-snip-

oh ok, I was thinking of egg-laying creatures, though. o3o I don't know how it works for them.

Yes - but try to get a chicken to lay a dragon egg... xd.png

...ooh, a thought... ninja.gif maybe we could get dinos and chickens to lay infertile eggs and then paint them? I mean, if we can draw the egg sprites on our scrolls, surely we can also paint them onto an actual egg? The chicken eggs could be painted to be pygmy eggs and the dino eggs to be drake or regular dragon eggs.

I would love to have a dozen chicken eggs on my scroll! I could use them as dividers happy.gif

Edit: I just remembered something about one of my Geckos I used to have. She laid infertile eggs in her tank. I didn't have a male with her, she was the only lizard I had at the time, and this happened months after I got her. She laid 1 egg, 2 different times. So I knew they were infertile, so I got rid of them. I doubt she stored any sperm from a male at the pet store she was in for that long.

Edited by xeyla

I like the idea of having a infertile egg show up with a fertile egg. This way you get your egg you needed from the breeding, and you have one for egg sprite collecting purposes. Something like multiclutching, but the extra egg is infertile.

This is the most reasonable idea I've seen yet. You simply get one live egg and one dud egg.

(I haven't read all posts, but here's my opinion)

If it's something the female can do on purpose, I'm fine with it.

But I wouldn't want it to happen to normal breeding, that would be WAY too frustrating if you ask me. That aside, I don't like the idea of having these but not being able to control them. We can control freezing, so why not control infertile eggs as well? (I know it's different, but both would serve the purpose of collecting dragons in their pre-adult stages)

Another thing that would be bothering me is that I generally like to keep the eggs I bred, but I wouldn't want to toss a dead shell while not wanting to keep it either.

EDIT:

I'd like if infertile eggs could be created by breeding dragons during their breeding cooldown. That would also avoid the problem of male-only holiday dragons.

The cooldown could simply be extended then - ideas:

- option for breeding an infertile egg would be available only during the second half of the breeding cooldown and would be 7 days starting from the creation of the infertile egg, leading to a total cooldown of 10-14 days for both

^ This would seem like a good idea to me

Edited by susitapsi

Yes, this is a really creative idea. (Should there be a chance to get "no egg"?) Also, this might also work nicely for holidays, even if they could only breed their own kind during the holiday season. Another idea would be to allow new holiday adults that grow up during the breeding season to create unfertilized eggs.

Example: You breed your yulebuck at the beginning of the holiday breeding season, getting any number of yulebuck eggs. Four days later, still during the breeding season, you breed your yulebuck again for some infertile eggs.

I'd prefer if infertile eggs didn't have a lineage shown. Also, there's the question whether holiday dragons should produce multiple infertile eggs, but probably not.

I like this idea, but one thing.

Regardless of how they are produced, if there is an option to throw them away, why not have a separate page where they go, away from the AP/wilderness ext? A "infertile egg" page.

That way, people who do not want the eggs can abandon them, and people who do want them can get the ones they are missing. And perhaps have a timer so it does not clog up the page? The eggs go off after a few days and are not useable anymore?

For instance, if you already have dozens of a really common type of dragon that you don't want to have to breed again for the chance of getting a sterile egg, while someone with a breeding project centered on that breed has already gotten several, the person who doesn't want the sterile eggs can throw them away, and the other person can look in the "stinky pile of sterile eggs" to find the ones they want.

I think this idea needs to work on something: how can we tell apart the infertile eggs from the fertile ones specially in a trade?

We need some mechanism to do that otherwise a lot of people can trade infertile eggs as if they were regular eggs, people will abuse of this feature.

I still think the best idea is eggs as trophys and not eggs in the scroll because if the eggs are separated from the regular eggs then no control is needed.

Edited by danicast

I think the lack of an egg timer while it's on a scroll might suffice for telling the difference.

I think the lack of an egg timer while it's on a scroll might suffice for telling the difference.

That's not enough. Not everybody checks the egg page in a teleport, a lot of people can wrongly accept a trade with an infertile egg thinking that is accepting a normal egg. The infertile egg needs to have some characteristic that screams to the eyes so people know at a glance that they are not regular eggs.

Also how the ratios would work in this case? It will be harder to get a gold infertile than a nocturne infertile? We must consider that if that's the case a whole paralel market will be established to trade infertile eggs.

Edited by danicast

The easiest thing to do there is to make them untradable. If they can not be traded normally, then it can not be abused.

And when breeding, they could either be in addition to whatever egg is bred, or could be a possible outcome in place of "no egg" messages.

I know this is not the actual chances or whatnot, but here is an example.

Say you breed them and you get no egg and no refusal. There are two possible results: no interst or no egg.

Instead of this, there would be three possible incomes, which would take up some of the "ratio chance" or whatever that the other two have. So a non-refusal, no propper egg result could be: no interest, no egg or infertile egg.