21Phoenix

Infertile Eggs

What eggs would a zombie lay?

This only applies to species that currently come from eggs. Since there's no sprite for a zombie egg in existence, it doesn't apply to them.

- Neglecteds and Zombies ~ I suppose a female dragon could lay an infertile egg just like the Vampire. With the Neglected she is so weak from her state of Neglect that she is simply unable to produce viable eggs. And zombies are well, dead. So any egg produced again like the vampire would be infertile.

I guess I was just being stinky about that but still!

There is a way to identify fertile eggs from unfertile eggs. In chickens, fertile eggs should have a small darker dot on the bottum/topish. So this is very relistec.

I don't recall if this was suggested already, but why don't you just have female dragons having a general action that would let them lay an infertile egg. Hens of any bird species don't need roosters to lay (turkeys notwithstanding), and those eggs are infertile. For the female, it'd be like she'd been bred, so you'd have to wait a week to try for a fertile egg with a male. It seems obvious to leave it as a female-only general trait.

As it is, dragons have amazing fertility, if they're in the mood you get a live egg every time.

(This, of course, assumes that dragons are all warm-blooded, as reptiles have a few interesting features which let unfertilized eggs develop at times.)

Addressing the OP only:

I see three things about this. First, infertile eggs /would/ take up a code, because of the way the site is coded. Second, the limits. Why should there be limits on the number of eggs you collect? Third, zombies-- there is no such thing as a zombie egg, and it doesn't make sense for them to lay eggs anyway-- vampires are transformed but alive; zombies are just plain dead things.

Fun fact for the dinos: It used to be that all dinos were male. Then there was a bit of coding that make females (they still couldn't breed, any more than gendered papers could), but for whatever reason, TJ decided to stop that... and that stopping female dinos had to mean taking away dino genders /period/. Anyway. It would make sense to me, given that dinos are extinct creatures and probably hatch from ancient eggs, that many dino eggs would be unable to hatch. After all, they're /old/ now. But with those, cheeses, and papers... I rather doubt you'd ever be able to make infertile eggs work. Unbreedables would need to have a special action added to them for any of this to happen.

Personally, I think this is a silly idea. Neat, but silly. TJ said back in '08 that he had the coding done for egg freezing and that it would be released "soon." Since that has yet to happen and obviously isn't tough to code, I'm thinking this is just never going to happen. Nice thought, though.

Soooo.... technically I'd be able to breed a Holly infertile egg? @.@

would frozen eggs count tourd the total dragon count like the frozen hatchlings do?

I highly support the idea of being able to keep infertile eggs without it affecting the "live" egg ratios. I think its smart to have a Female GSA to allow the laying of infertile eggs to collect them.

Addressing the OP only:

Personally, I think this is a silly idea. Neat, but silly. TJ said back in '08 that he had the coding done for egg freezing and that it would be released "soon." Since that has yet to happen and obviously isn't tough to code, I'm thinking this is just never going to happen. Nice thought, though.

A curious--

What about my modified suggestion with a badge for infertile eggs to collect under, so they don't take up codes? :|a

I assume the bigger problem here that TJ is avoiding is code bloat.

Unless I'm mistaken the easter eggs did not take up codes did they? Could work similarly to that.

I also agree it makes no sense for Zombies to have infertile eggs as they don't have eggs to begin with, every other dragon kind I see as a definite yes. Support!

<.<

Is it just me or would this suggestion cause a bunch of time bombs to be sitting around on your scroll?

And by time bombs I mean rotten eggs.

Nah, because you're clever: Once you realize you have an unfertilized egg, you'll put a small hole in the shell, get the yucky stuff from inside out and put your emptied egg into a showcase/basket/whatever.

The idea with the unfertilized eggs as a GSA (gender-specific action) for females has one big disadvantege, though: You'll never get a yulebuck/sweetling/heartseeker egg for your collection.

I don't like the whole "let's collect eggs" thing...

That goes for frozens and infertiles. I just don't see any sense in it. You'd have the sprite on your scroll forever, but what for?

That goes for frozens and infertiles. I just don't see any sense in it. You'd have the sprite on your scroll forever, but what for?

Collection purposes, prettyness, some people would like to use it to make it easier to remember descriptions, etc. :3

....the same reason why you collect adults and freeze hatchlings, because you like the sprite and want to collect it.

Er... When I saw this I thought it would be like frozen eggs. xd.png

I dunno about the idea. If a rare egg was infertile that would make some kinds of people mad. But on the other hand, "frozen eggs" would make some pretty scroll decor like the starry nebbie eggs I love to look at but hate spending time to raise >.<

Nah, because you're clever: Once you realize you have an unfertilized egg, you'll put a small hole in the shell, get the yucky stuff from inside out and put your emptied egg into a showcase/basket/whatever.

The idea with the unfertilized eggs as a GSA (gender-specific action) for females has one big disadvantege, though: You'll never get a yulebuck/sweetling/heartseeker egg for your collection.

Oh, so the end result is a lot like my egg sucker, but if the OP is still the design, you don't get to choose which eggs you want to collect.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I assume TJ is already experimenting. This egg below has surfaced in a couple of places (though none seem to notice the date it was laid and the views it has)

http://dragcave.net/view/sIKU

Edited by Ashywolf

The system for something not growing up any more is already there with frozen hatchlings and leetle trees, I suspect he doesn't really need public experimentation. That egg is proof that some system is already in place that could be modified to whatever egg freezing system is decided upon. [i use egg freezing to mean any method of keeping eggs as eggs forever]

I assume TJ is already experimenting. This egg below has surfaced in a couple of places (though none seem to notice the date it was laid and the views it has)

http://dragcave.net/view/sIKU

That was really just a joke. Coding frozen eggs isn't the problem, it's the RP sense that causes the problem. We didn't get frozen eggs because of the idea of freezing a hatchling forever within an egg, hence why we have so many suggestions on how to get around this. :3

I haven't read the entire thread (only Sock's poll on egg freeze options actually), so this might be repeating what others already suggested. Don't kill me for it laugh.gif

I'd like if infertile eggs could be created by breeding dragons during their breeding cooldown. That would also avoid the problem of male-only holiday dragons.

The cooldown could simply be extended then - ideas:

- total cooldown for normal breeding and infertile egg is 10-14 days, no matter when the infertile egg was bred (only once per normal breeding attempt)

- option for breeding an infertile egg would be available only during the second half of the breeding cooldown and would be 7 days starting from the creation of the infertile egg, leading to a total cooldown of 10-14 days for both

ETA: It just ocurred to me that this does not solve the problem for unbreedables - how about the breed action is enabled for them, but instead of choosing a mate you get directed straight to a page saying that it produced an infertile egg? Wouldn't make much sense for papers and cheeses though RP-wise, since they are enchanted items...

Edited by Ha-Ki