21Phoenix

Infertile Eggs

Only one idea, to differentiate between Frozen/Infirtile/Whatever-they're-going-to-be-called eggs, and normal ones: What if the egg has a small chip out of the top, and the tiny piece is laying next to the egg, like where the other "effects" fall (ie, the Balloon's shadow, the Daydream's cloud, the Water's puddle).

Eh, I'd rather they have some sort of symbol like the frozen hatchies, so the eggs don't have to look different. Plus if the chip was going into the same area as those effects, then what happens when you get a water or daydream egg?

My apologies, I should have said "similar area", rather than "same area".

And to be honest, I agree, a symbol should be sufficient. It was just a suggestion for those who felt it wasn't. happy.gif

I think it all depends on what course of action (if any) is decided on. If it ends up being a "collect and piece the shell back together" type of action, then some cracking or chipping would be logical and realistic. If it is an "Infertility" type of action, then an unmarred egg would be the logical choice.

Being a bird owner, I'm leaning toward infiertility myself. And for those who say, "These are reptiles, not birds,"......

No, these are dragons, not reptiles. They're about halfway between birds and reptiles. Some leeway can be logically applied here, lol.

Being a bird owner, I'm leaning toward infiertility myself. And for those who say, "These are reptiles, not birds,"......

No, these are dragons, not reptiles. They're about halfway between birds and reptiles. Some leeway can be logically applied here, lol.

Plus with reptiles, at least some, have infertile eggs. My female beardie has infertiles once in a while, even when not exposed to my male.

They're MAGIC, not real.

That doesn't mean that an aspect that occurs in nature can't happen on our scrolls, too.

That doesn't mean that an aspect that occurs in nature can't happen on our scrolls, too.

Exactly. And the point has been made many times in the BSA thread that just because they're mythical creatures, that doesn't mean they're also all magical (which is why "it's magic" doesn't work as an explanation for how a BSA would work unless the description says they're magic usuers. There are even several that explicitly say that they don't have magical abilities.) If not all of the dragons are magical, then why should all of our interactions with them be based on magic? And in any case, breeding itself is based on what happens in nature, so there's no reason the way to get eggs we can keep can't be based on what happens in nature, too.

Just my 2 cents but a few months back TJ had stated and showed pictures we were getting egg freezing. Whatever happened to that?

I wish I knew what his ideas and thoughts were on infertility. I have pm-ed him once and never received a reply. I refuse to hunt him down like a gold egg on the IRC as I'm sure he doesn't get on there to be pestered by users.

I really do think this is a sound and workable idea. It makes sense logically no matter how much people scream about them being magical or not real.

Just extend freezing to eggs, if people want frozen eggs so badly. Have "freeze" appear on an egg's action page. Think it's cruel to freeze a dragon inside its egg? Oh well, we are able to "Kill" our eggs, and that's pretty "cruel" so I don't see what the big deal is. They're pixels.

I like the idea of blowing out the egg and preserving the shell. Or, having the Action ask you if you want to keep the shell when the egg hatches. Or, freezing the egg freezes the embryo too, so you get the frozen 1st stage hatchling as well as the shell.

Somehow, just freezing an egg doesn't sound right. I know it's pixels, it's a mental thing. Besides, freezing the hatchlings doesn't mean they aren't alive, it just means they don't grow up. So, would freezing the eggs mean there's still a live but frozen embryo in there? (See what I mean by a mental thing?) This is why I would want the shell to keep rather than the entire frozen egg.

I keep seeing people say they like egg freezing better because people shouldn't care about a bunch of pixels. To these people: Do you have a reason to dislike this idea, other than that it would make people who feel differently than you happy? Because that's not a valid criticism in my book. If you can give a reason why you think infertile eggs are inferior to frozen ones aside from the fact that it would avoid an issue you don't care about, then by all means, let's hash that out. Otherwise, you're pretty much just trolling and insulting other players.

I don't like this idea at all. Just one more way for my dragons to NOT reproduce.

If people want the ability to keep/freeze eggs, do it in a way that does not affect current game play.

Isn't that the reason people shoot down half the ideas here? "It's forcing your way of playing the game on others." So I definitely don't support this cool.gif Hopefully you can think of some other way that won't affect my breeding couples ... perhaps a BSA, though TJ is clearly very stingy about what he will and won't allow as BSAs.

I agree that this isn't a good way to go about preserving eggs.

I also find it funny that some people are willing to "blow out the egg and preserve the shell". How in the world is that any different from freezing an egg? Blowing out the yolk "kills it" just like freezing it before it has time to mature would.

If anything, just put the freeze option on there only while the egg is more than 5 or 6 days away from dying.

Idk. I'm all for freezing eggs.

It would make more sense if it was a separate action that appears only on a female dragon's page, because unfertilized eggs are laid by females who have not been mated lately. It's like chickens, farmers have to keep roosters away form hens (or keep them drugged  dry.gif ) or the hens will give inedible fertile eggs.

Actually, fertile eggs are edible. Some people think they're more nutritious than infertile eggs. You just have to make sure to refrigerate them before the embryo starts to grow. (Although I've heard that duck embryos are a delicacy in some Asian country. blink.gif )

Back on topic: I don't care one way or the other, since I doubt I'd use it that often. But I do want it to be something you choose to do to your eggs, not something that gets dumped in your lap.

Edited by Emerald Dragon 007

I don't like this idea at all. Just one more way for my dragons to NOT reproduce.

If people want the ability to keep/freeze eggs, do it in a way that does not affect current game play.

Isn't that the reason people shoot down half the ideas here? "It's forcing your way of playing the game on others." So I definitely don't support this cool.gif Hopefully you can think of some other way that won't affect my breeding couples ... perhaps a BSA, though TJ is clearly very stingy about what he will and won't allow as BSAs.

But the way it's been suggested, if you don't want the infertile eggs, you won't get them. As currently proposed, it would be an entirely separate thing from breeding, except that it might share a cooldown. If you don't want to use up a breeding chance to get an infertile egg, then all you have to do is click "breed" instead of whatever you would click to get an infertile egg. How would that force you to change your way of playing?

I think it's a great idea, on each females scroll have the option to lay an infertile egg instead of breeding it (although you would lose the randomness that makes an egg look like either parent - some of us still random breed) and they'd have to wait the same cooldown as if they had been bred

I keep seeing people say they like egg freezing better because people shouldn't care about a bunch of pixels. To these people: Do you have a reason to dislike this idea, other than that it would make people who feel differently than you happy? Because that's not a valid criticism in my book. If you can give a reason why you think infertile eggs are inferior to frozen ones aside from the fact that it would avoid an issue you don't care about, then by all means, let's hash that out. Otherwise, you're pretty much just trolling and insulting other players.

I don't like it because it seems like an astonishingly silly amount of trouble to go through, just to avoid the reality that there might be a baby inside the egg.

Here are the two "egg collection" ideas that I like:

-The ability to reassemble eggshell shards after a baby has hatched. Seems reasonable and not "silly" to me.

-The ability to outright freeze eggs, just like we do with hatchlings.

The ability to make your female dragon lay infertile eggs---I don't know, that just seems laughable.

It's funny, as I was replying to another post I realized that freezing a hatchling was almost the same as killing it. So yeah that would go for an egg too. BUT then I convinced myself (and maybe this will make people feel better about freezing eggs) it's like cryogenics, maybe someday they can be unthawed (not an addition to the game, just a way of thinking about freezing)

They aren't dead, just in stasis.

Toss the whole moral debate, just paste a freeze option on it, blowing out the egg kills it antway. Its just a game if you really feel that bad about freezing an egg dont use it, besides the whole obtaining infertile eggs would make some holidays kinda impossible.

1 No eggs wouldnt count twoadrs the population because they dont breed.

2 They could share the freezing limit with hatchlings to prevent abuse, and the eggs can take up a slot for abut an hour afterwards. (5 hours is a wee bit much) heck, since hatchlings dont take up space after being frozen, maybe eggs dont?

I don't like it because it seems like an astonishingly silly amount of trouble to go through, just to avoid the reality that there might be a baby inside the egg. 

Here are the two "egg collection" ideas that I like:

-The ability to reassemble eggshell shards after a baby has hatched.  Seems reasonable and not "silly" to me. 

-The ability to outright freeze eggs, just like we do with hatchlings. 

The ability to make your female dragon lay infertile eggs---I don't know, that just seems laughable.

But infertile eggs are actually the most realistic of the options. That's why I like the idea; I don't really think of my dragons as "alive", and if egg freezing was what we got, I wouldn't feel guilty at all about doing that. I just really like the idea of having a feature based on something that actually happens in nature, rather than magical "freezing". It seems like it would kind of balance out all of the other stuff in a way that reassembling egg shells wouldn't (plus, realistically, what are the odds that you would be able to find all the pieces and put them back together in a way that wouldn't look all cracked and messy?), and there's a sort of novelty to having a feature based on this sort of thing.

I say to stop the huge amount of dragons that have like ten generations of inbreed. Make a dragon that is inbreed infertile. It seems most people don't like inbreed dragons so to stop people from inbreeding make inbreeds infertile. Even if they are only 1 generation of inbreed make them fertile.

But infertile eggs are actually the most realistic of the options. That's why I like the idea; I don't really think of my dragons as "alive", and if egg freezing was what we got, I wouldn't feel guilty at all about doing that. I just really like the idea of having a feature based on something that actually happens in nature, rather than magical "freezing". It seems like it would kind of balance out all of the other stuff in a way that reassembling egg shells wouldn't (plus, realistically, what are the odds that you would be able to find all the pieces and put them back together in a way that wouldn't look all cracked and messy?), and there's a sort of novelty to having a feature based on this sort of thing.

But if you don't like the idea of magical "freezing", then what about the fact that hatchlings can be frozen? If hatchlings couldn't be magically frozen, then I guess I could see your point; it would be too unrealistic. But if hatchlings can be magically frozen, then it just makes so much more sense to me to merely extend that to eggs, rather than create some new way in which eggs can be "frozen" in a manner that may or may not be more realistic.

Plus, with the infertile egg idea, you'd never be able to get Yulebuck or Sweetling eggs as frozen eggs. If we allow freezing of actual eggs, or the reassembling of egg shells, then you could have a frozen egg for every dragon type on your scroll.

But if you don't like the idea of magical "freezing", then what about the fact that hatchlings can be frozen? If hatchlings couldn't be magically frozen, then I guess I could see your point; it would be too unrealistic. But if hatchlings can be magically frozen, then it just makes so much more sense to me to merely extend that to eggs, rather than create some new way in which eggs can be "frozen" in a manner that may or may not be more realistic.

Plus, with the infertile egg idea, you'd never be able to get Yulebuck or Sweetling eggs as frozen eggs. If we allow freezing of actual eggs, or the reassembling of egg shells, then you could have a frozen egg for every dragon type on your scroll.

It's not so much that I dislike magical freezing, as that I like the idea of having something non-magical, just as a change of pace. I was just saying that it doesn't seem silly to me because it's really the most realistic option. If most things in the game were based on reality, and somebody came up with the idea that we could magically make eggs without embryos inside to keep, then I might agree that it was silly. As it is, though, I just think "How can it be silly? It would be one of the most realistic parts of the game!" wink.gif

And a few pages back, somebody posted the idea that all-male holiday breeds could have infertile matings during their seasons, and unbreedables could make replicas of their respective eggs. That would actually make it more possible for me to get Sweetling and Yulebuck eggs, because I already have two of each, so I would have to release one of them if I wanted to be able to get an egg to freeze. Since infertile eggs would presumably not count towards the ratios, I would assume we'd be able to "breed" them even when we already have two of the actual dragons (which will be an issue for a lot of people, I'm sure.)