21Phoenix

Infertile Eggs

I personally don't think it should be an option you can chose. It should be a ratio, something that happens beyond your control so that people can't take advantage of it.

I do really like this idea though. I never thought I'd view slugs as "good" lol. biggrin.gif

Really? You'd rather have an infertile egg pop up instead of one that could be gifted, or part of a lineage, or whatever you want it for? I'd find that very irritating. A GSA seems most logical to me. What's there to take advantage of in a frozen egg, anyway?

Tried to do some breeding yesterday evening. Let me just say I was disgusted with the results. Almost every pair wasn't interested, a few where no eggs were produced and only four mating were succesful, three of which I abandoned and another that was Bitten and then repulsed.

I would have appreciated at least getting something from them...grrrr

So I really haven't gotten any input on the suggested method that is six or seven post above this one. The one where I quoted myself.

No objection to your detailed suggestion 8 posts above, but I can't really think of anything to comment on either, sorry.

What would the egg sprites look like? If they look exactly like the current ones, you run into confusion (especially with people who organize using the automatic breed option without checking eggs/hatchlings at top) with fertile, growing eggs. If possible I'd like to see some slightly different cracking, like a small hole missing out of the top/bottom of the egg = fits suggestions of blowing out or emptying out the egg. It wouldn't be huge cut (so to not detract from the egg itself) but it'd make it visually obvious that the egg was infertile. Or the whole thing has cracks all over it, resembling a mosaic = fits suggestions of piecing them together.

/shrugs I really support a strict limit on how many you of a breed, or how many a week, you can have infertile.

Wouldn't that little snowflake symbol the frozen hatchies have kinda make it clear which were infertile? (the same confusion argument applies to freezing hatchies)

Utterly randomly, complaining all my new dragons are females, I had the lightbulb that you could treat it like regular old breeding, but have it be the result of same-gender dragon pairings (it seemed like at least an amusing idea while I was ranting about how I can't mate my females which each other ^.^)

I like the gender-specific action idea, but then you know what egg you are getting...I don't know, I like the idea that you might get either parent (and you could always treat it like regular breeding and breed, say, vine*vine to ensure a vine egg)

And to whomever said infertile eggs are rare, I sure hope not, as I had 3 (chicken) eggs for breakfast a few hours ago!

But yeah, no abandoning infertile eggs, it would royally suck to finally find that gold/silver/vamp (or worse holly/valentine/yulebuck/snow angel xd.png) and have the egg never hatch.

I like it as an adition to the breed actions recived. I get a lot of they breed but don't produce an egg. Getting a message:

Your dragons breed but the egg produced is infirtile and will never hatch. Do you want to keep it?

If you didn't want it, it would dissapear to the mysterous place all broken egg bits go. (Trash)

Maybe holidays could (rarly) breed a infirtile egg out of season. All eggs produced out of season would be infirtile.

As for paper and chese in the BSA thread there talking about BSA's for them since TJ said they could have one. Fold and Ferment. Paper dragons could take a peice of your parchment and fold it so it looked like an egg but wasn't one while chese dragond could loose a lump opf fermenting chese that would look like an egg but wasn't one.

As for paper and chese in the BSA thread there talking about BSA's for them since TJ said they could have one. Fold and Ferment.

Basically what I said earlier without the names "Fold" or "Ferment".

Cheese and Paper dragons would form an egg from either cheese or paper. Their descriptions state that an enchantment was placed on the egg that caused it to hatch. Without that enchantment the egg they created would just be an 'infertile' egg.

Utterly randomly, complaining all my new dragons are females, I had the lightbulb that you could treat it like regular old breeding, but have it be the result of same-gender dragon pairings (it seemed like at least an amusing idea while I was ranting about how I can't mate my females which each other ^.^)

This is an interesting idea as a recall reading something a week ago or so about a female/female pair of Albatross raising a chick. There was a male as well and the three of them traditionally took on the job of parenting, but the male disappeared...or something like that...

I like this idea, because there are eggs I'd love to keep. Like the Bluna eggs, those are gorgeous.

Infertile eggs should be allowed because it happens in nature. If you breed birds you would know that. Also, it would make the game more realistic. Then again, these are dragons...

I do/have bred birds which is why I suggested this scenario. I think it all works out very neatly.

I'd just like to add myself to the list of people who prefer this over egg freezing because it's more humane. (Although, I disagree that freezing an egg would be killing the baby dragon; it specifically says that baby dragons hang out in the eggs for a while before they hatch.)

Why do people STILL get all uppity about being 'humane' to a bunch of PIXELS?!

Now I'm all for being humane to real animals, but this is a GAME. With pixelated, mythological animals.

"NOOOOOOOO! We can't freeze pixelated, mythological animals! It would be INHUMANE!!! Making the eggs infertile is more humane!"

Why do people STILL get all uppity about being 'humane' to a bunch of PIXELS?!

Now I'm all for being humane to real animals, but this is a GAME. With pixelated, mythological animals.

"NOOOOOOOO! We can't freeze pixelated, mythological animals! It would be INHUMANE!!! Making the eggs infertile is more humane!"

I couldn't care less about that aspect of it. I just like this idea because it's more like what would happen in nature, and while I know it's kind of ridiculous to want realism in a game involving dragons, I think it would be nice to have something realistic to balance out all the magical stuff.

This isn't a bad way to go about getting a permanent egg, but I think it would be best if only commons and uncommons could do this, Unbreedables certainly shouldn't be able to do this, since they don't breed.

I think that metallics/rares should be far less likely to lay an infertile egg of their species. Which would result in making metallic infertile eggs the most rare thing out there.

Would they be trade-able? I think it would be better if they weren't, but I imagine that most other people would want them to be.

I just had a thought about how to collect eggs. Collected eggs can be "stored" on the back of our scroll thus keeping them separated from our live game pieces.

How to get them?

Add another, but simple "quest/game." It could be one dimensional, kind of like the original Pac-Man screen so it doesn't eat up too much space.

If TJ is willing and if there is enough room on the server etc, players can enter the cave. There would be three or four "traps" to avoid like being eaten, tripping into a shallow pool, or having a stalactite fall on your head. Any of these would "reset" you and you'd have to go back and start at the begining. You would also drop any shells currently in your possession. You could only keep them if you made it out of the cave.

So Chicken, Cheese, Dinos, vampires and ND could be collected as well.

You'd go through a maze and pick up either "puzzle pieces" (assembling the egg from either two or three pieces) or an entire shell.

I'm thinking this would keep folks busy while waiting for a new drop, or for their live eggs to hatch, or if you are stumped thinking up descriptions and need a break. Also, spriters worked hard to create the eggs too. It would be nice if they could be displayed.

Ideas? Add ons or tweaks to this suggestion?

Edited by Dragonbox

The idea of being able to freeze eggs sound good, but...

Infertile eggs?? no, no, NO!!! Just think, what if that one gold you finally managed to get... was infertile! You wouldn't be able to breed it!! Have you considered how annoying and frustrating that would be?

The idea of being able to freeze eggs sound good, but...

Infertile eggs?? no, no, NO!!! Just think, what if that one gold you finally managed to get... was infertile! You wouldn't be able to breed it!! Have you considered how annoying and frustrating that would be?

That's why the version most people (who want it at all) seem to want is a GSA, separate from breeding, which you don't have to use if you don't want to have the infertile eggs. If that were implemented, there would be no risk of finally breeding a rare and having it come out infertile, because that would be an entirely different action (although they should probably share cooldown times, so you wouldn't be able to breed right after you tried for an infertile egg.)

Or do you mean you think certain dragons would be infertile, and so would only produce these eggs? Because that's not what the suggestion is at all. Every female dragon (or at least the breedable ones) would have both the ability to breed, and the ability to create infertile eggs.

I think have a Gender Specific Action for females allowing them to lay an infertile egg, is very realistic and a good idea. I would love to collect eggs, and this is a great way to do it.

I think it's silly. Everybody wants to collect egg sprites, but some people are so silly about it. How is optional infertile egg-laying so very different from optional egg freezing?

Oh, yeah, I forgot - egg freezing is ABORTION!

As long as frozen eggs don't count towards the ratio of eggs, we already have a freezing limit to keep people from going overboard.

Edited by Harley Quinn hyenaholic

Honestly, I'm volunteering the Pygmies to collect eggshells. They like collecting neat shiny things (And not shiny things. As long as they're neat and easy enough to carry.) You could give them the BSA "Collect Shell" to be used on (Non-frozen) hatchlings, and they would collect the bits, allowing you to "reassemble" them.

That way people with rares wouldn't have to worry about dud eggs/wasting a breeding for getting infertiles, but we can still collect the eggs without impinging on the morality of killing/forever preserving the infanthood of imaginary animals.

I think it's silly. Everybody wants to collect egg sprites, but some people are so silly about it. How is optional infertile egg-laying so very different from optional egg freezing?

Oh, yeah, I forgot - egg freezing is ABORTION!

As long as frozen eggs don't count towards the ratio of eggs, we already have a freezing limit to keep people from going overboard.

This is the second time you've posted essentially the same thing here. Once, okay, but twice is getting annoying. As I mentioned the last time, not everybody likes this idea because they think freezing eggs is cruel (I know I couldn't care less about that part). The people who do aren't likely to change their minds just because you say they're silly. And I have yet to see you say anything about why you dislike the idea. If it's not very different from freezing eggs as far as you're concerned, then why would you care whether we get infertile eggs or egg freezing?

Honestly, I'm volunteering the Pygmies to collect eggshells. They like collecting neat shiny things (And not shiny things. As long as they're neat and easy enough to carry.) You could give them the BSA "Collect Shell" to be used on (Non-frozen) hatchlings, and they would collect the bits, allowing you to "reassemble" them.

That way people with rares wouldn't have to worry about dud eggs/wasting a breeding for getting infertiles, but we can still collect the eggs without impinging on the morality of killing/forever preserving the infanthood of imaginary animals.

Just adding my two cents: I like Vicats idea, or the Infertility GSA. Both are very logical options. I can't add too much more to what's been said/suggested, so I won't try.

Only one idea, to differentiate between Frozen/Infirtile/Whatever-they're-going-to-be-called eggs, and normal ones: What if the egg has a small chip out of the top, and the tiny piece is laying next to the egg, like where the other "effects" fall (ie, the Balloon's shadow, the Daydream's cloud, the Water's puddle).