Dis

The sprite practice thread.

I'm working on a few animations of dragon/bat wings and how they fold and flap and do various things, at various angles.

At the moment it's not sprited yet, but I'd like to know if I've got any anatomical mistakes on the first wing before I go to that stage. I hope this is the correct topic to ask for such a thing; if not, please let me know and if possible, point me to a better place!

user posted image

I know the wing arm isn't of a consistent length, by the way, I saw that after uploading the file xd.png

Okay I made some thumbs.

user posted image

It's not the thumbs that's the problem, it's the fact that your wing fingers are coming out of different spots. They're all supposed to connect to the corner where the wrist is near the thumb, like Rhynn's animation does.

@Aislein: Very nice! I can't see any problems with the shading. I do have a question about the wing anatomy, however. So you want the dragon's wings to be able to fold and close? Because as it is now, it's missing a joint for that. Other than that I don't have much to say about the sprite!

@dragonstar32: Don't think about the colours and shades at all yet. In fact, if I were you I'd take them away completely for now, because the lines aren't up to scratch yet. It's much easier to change things on the lines when the colours aren't there to distract you!

Now, as shadowdrake mentioned, the issue with the wing isn't the thumb, but where the wing fingers connect. Take a look at the animation I posted above; while I'm still waiting for crits on it, I do know at least that part is correct. Look at it closely and compare it with your sprite.

So as a start, change the wings! There are some other things that need some attention, but we'll get to those later smile.gif

@Rhynn Collins: I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on this, but your animation looks really good! One thing that might make it looks a bit better would be to make the curve on the wing membrane increase as it folds, to show that the membrane is folding and not simply shrinking?

@Aislein: Very nice! I can't see any problems with the shading. I do have a question about the wing anatomy, however. So you want the dragon's wings to be able to fold and close? Because as it is now, it's missing a joint for that. Other than that I don't have much to say about the sprite!

@dragonstar32: Don't think about the colours and shades at all yet. In fact, if I were you I'd take them away completely for now, because the lines aren't up to scratch yet. It's much easier to change things on the lines when the colours aren't there to distract you!

Now, as shadowdrake mentioned, the issue with the wing isn't the thumb, but where the wing fingers connect. Take a look at the animation I posted above; while I'm still waiting for crits on it, I do know at least that part is correct. Look at it closely and compare it with your sprite.

So as a start, change the wings! There are some other things that need some attention, but we'll get to those later smile.gif

the wings are missing a joint... where?

Aislein, where the second wing digit thingy connects. Right now it looks like it's one big curved bone, instead of two bones connected by a joint.

Tigerra, thanks for the feedback smile.gif I see what you mean, I'll keep it in mind for the next version!

@Rhynn, since I own 3 bats of my own and am pretty much around the needy things constantly, I see their movement a lot. It's not so much of a natural movement for bats, their joints wouldn't really allow that movement to be so... straight...

I don't know, I guess that's not too helpful. But maybe if you youtube bats, you'll find a few videos to look at their wing movement.

As for the actual animation though, that's very good and keep going with it!

Hope I've helped >3<

~Kate

@Aislein: The last 2 wing bones seem really curved, especially the one in the middle. It makes the wings look a little odd. Usually, the bones of the wings are straight(er). I think you can get away with the thid wing bone being curved, but the second could be a little straighter. I hope what I said is helpful!

Also: Any comment on my mailbox badges?

post-25-1347077956.png

The 2 near paws (front and back) look as if he/she is standing on the toes instead leaning on the foot. try having the foot be sprited in a way he/she would be standing on the foot instead of the toes (makes sence??)

ALWAYS use darker lines for the outside lines, otherwise it is way too hard to see happy.gif

it's easier to give crits on it if the outerlines are dark happy.gif

ok

user posted image

better or worse?

Better. Now the 2nd wing bone is just thin. Maybe you could thicken it a little On a completly different note, is the dragon supposed to be tail-less?

They are... Oh wait now I get it.

Just take the darkest shade, darken it a bit and color the lines with that :3

ok I thickened the wing arm by a pixel

user posted image

better?

oh, and yes it's supposed to be tail-less biggrin.gif

ok I thickened the wing arm by a pixel

user posted image

better?

oh, and yes it's supposed to be tail-less biggrin.gif

Yeah, I think it's better. I probably just have a harder time seeing it because the brightness on my screen is low.

In other news: I made this for a thread, but it can't be used. I can use it privately though. Anyone have any shading comments for my turret egg?

post-25-1347158623.png

I made the mailbox badge with a square hole now. Does it look any better? Or does it still not look like a mailbox?

Yep, it looks like a mailbox now.