Dis

The sprite practice thread.

Left side of face looks squashed a bit. Round the bottom left out a little.

Whose left D:

Also checked it on my 3ds and it looks more gold/washed out while on my computer it looks fine... what's it look like to you/everyone else?

This thread has some really helpful information.

I personally use MS Paint (the regular, boring thing that comes with all Microsoft computers) but I'm not really a professional spriter tongue.gif I do know that a lot of other amazing spriters use Paint as well though.

edited because Apple's autocorrect implies there are amazon spriters and no amazing spriters.

Duh, why wouldn't their be amazon spriters? xd.png

~

Also, question, wings should go just past the back leg, right? Otherwise it has a hangbut?

Wing membrane/feathers should attach [feathers dont really attach to that but should still go past it] at the butt at the very least, else it has hangbutt. Longer than that is bonus.

Wing membrane/feathers should attach [feathers dont really attach to that but should still go past it] at the butt at the very least, else it has hangbutt. Longer than that is bonus.

Ok ^-^ Thanks

Whose left D:

Also checked it on my 3ds and it looks more gold/washed out while on my computer it looks fine... what's it look like to you/everyone else?

The flat left D: (on the left <---- side).

Colours fine on here, the 3DS screen is a little washed out anyway.

Edited by Ashywolf

Thanks Cftfm but I have a mac xd.png not Microsoft!

Isn't there a Mac Paint or a pre-installed Paint version on the Mac?

You can try iPaint or CanvasPaint for online programs; I don't know about Mac programs for downloading.

There's a free mac program especially for pixel art, it's called Pixen. It's great; the only reason I don't actually use it is because I'm too used to Photoshop smile.gif

no pre installed programs but i cant

1. I can't draw xd.png

2. I don't have a computer havent used one since over 6 months since mum took away personal reasons

There's Paint for Mac too... completely Free, easy to use and similar to the one Microsoft has preinstalled. You can try Gimp too, or a demo Photoshop version for free.

I own a Mac myself Izzy, so I can help a bit more if you need something as I'm sure other Mac users can as well.

I'm a Mac user, and I use GIMP. There's also a SAI for Mac, if you want to use it, but it doesn't recognize pen-pressure sensitivity with tablets.

Okay so I created these babbies with my free time...

user posted image

I want to get better at sprites and pixeling in general. Does anyone have any tips or feedback?

Thanks bye. *scuttles away*

user posted image

Phew, I've been working on this all day and I'm pretty tired of it now...my first attempt at spriting, so it isn't all that great ;; I'm having trouble getting it consistent with the style of the other DC sprites for some reason. It's based on a concept for a dragon called a Stormherald Lindwurm I came up with a while ago, but I wasn't too sure if I wanted to seriously work on it as a dragon request. Crit would be much appreciated~

@ Sparkgirl, I think you need more of a contrast between lights and darks, the body looks quite flat, particularly around the chest area. Also I'm not sure what sort of design you're basing it upon, but the wing isn't particularly realistic in the way it joins to the shoulder and the way in which it's constructed, unless its body were positioned so that it is half facing towards you'd be able to see the other wing and leg.

user posted image

Phew, I've been working on this all day and I'm pretty tired of it now...my first attempt at spriting, so it isn't all that great ;; I'm having trouble getting it consistent with the style of the other DC sprites for some reason. It's based on a concept for a dragon called a Stormherald Lindwurm I came up with a while ago, but I wasn't too sure if I wanted to seriously work on it as a dragon request. Crit would be much appreciated~

@ Sparkgirl, I think you need more of a contrast between lights and darks, the body looks quite flat, particularly around the chest area. Also I'm not sure what sort of design you're basing it upon, but the wing isn't particularly realistic in the way it joins to the shoulder and the way in which it's constructed, unless its body were positioned so that it is half facing towards you'd be able to see the other wing and leg.

Wow, that sprite looks fantastic *.*

A little idea would be to add a little more shading to the left arm, it still looks slightly flat in a way. Other than that, well done^^

I'd also like to start spriting, but I have no idea what programs to use.....could someone let me know, please?

user posted image

Yep, you need darker shadows. Don't be afraid of contrast in dark-light when spriting, it makes sprites pop out more. Give the wing a more bended elbow, and anatomy-wise the wing should connect further down. You've got most of the basics of lining and shading down, though. The tail has a thick-thin issue in the middle. Good color contrast, though you might need another color between orange and that mid-color you have. Very cute ^^

user posted image

Holy cow that's your first sprite? That is awesome. The left paw could be a little more defined, and the back wing-spine is too straight (curve it just a bit), and the underbelly highlight doesn't really match your lightsource (especially at the neck-chest), but otherwise it's amazing.

@Tazzay: Personally I just use MSPaint, but there's Photoshop and Graphicsgale (free).

Commence spam and no i didnt fix Electrion yet kaws im too awesome for that yup also im going away for about a week so trololol

/shot

Neither fly, jus sayin

user posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Also funquiz; what are these based on [animals]? Some are asdf easy.

Also since this game has typing [ie, 'fire' 'water' etc, though fire/water is Thermal/Deluge, just say the basic things ill get it]

Does anyone have any spritelines that they don't mind me using for shading practice? None of the links on the first page are working ^.^

need shading crit

user posted image

please ignore the mane it's being a butt to shade right now dry.gif

user posted image

A sprite I made from scratch, I would really like some crit :3 I want to improve my spriting skills.

Okay, this is a combined project between me and my sisters lol

user posted image

The original drawing was by my sister with some parts by me...and then the lines were mine and the shading was me and my other sister...

;~; I'm going insane here and feel it still needs a lot of work! (I.E. I know the face still looks flat...)

Crits and suggestions please? <3

Edited by MissNoShame

Looking good! A few anatomy issues, though. The secondary wings are way too far forward. Because they overlap with the primaries, they would interfere with flight D: Also, the head is very pointed.

Shading wise, I would use more contrast. It'll give the sprite more depth and make it seem more realistic :3

I really enjoy the concept ^^

Does anyone have any spritelines that they don't mind me using for shading practice? None of the links on the first page are working ^.^

Here you go!

user posted image

need shading crit

user posted image

please ignore the mane it's being a butt to shade right now dry.gif

Hmm... the mane makes it a bit difficult to see well (it's very flat and makes the whole sprite seem a bit flat because of it). I think the shading itself is fine; the back (further away) is a bit dark, but not in a bad way. If you want it to stand out a bit more, you could add a highlight.

What I do sort of miss, though I can imagine it's a bit difficult to add, is an outline. This can be a style choice though, so if you want it to be outline-less, don't mind it happy.gif

SO I triedmaking my very first sprite today. Here it is:

user posted image

Darker mane outline

user posted image

Lighter mane outline

Not bad at all for a first sprite! Very good linework, and good work with the colours.

It is, however, a very flat sprite at the moment. You have a little bit of shading, but it's only in four places. I also want to warn you against over-using dithering; it can give your sprites a very textured look, which might not always be what you're looking for!

user posted image

A sprite I made from scratch, I would really like some crit :3 I want to improve my spriting skills.

Its left front leg looks quite awkward; a bit blob-like and broken. I also feel as if the left back leg (its left, not ours) is missing.

Shading-wise, you need more contrast. The dark line in the neck also stands out a lot; if it still does after improving the contrast in the shading there, try lightening it a little smile.gif

user posted image

I tried adding more contrast but I'm not sure if it did too much x.x

As for the wings it's only one set of wings...but half of the wings are covered in feathers while the end half isn't.