Dis

The sprite practice thread.

concept sprites

user posted imageuser posted image

crits please

Some things about this sprite seem disproportionate. The hindquarters are much smaller than the front (without the legs attached, they'd be about the same size as the tail) and the head is small in ratio to the body. If this is on purpose, I'd exaggerate the larger curves/parts of the sprite more -- the chest, tail -- so it looks more obvious, and have the body taper more deliberately instead of just having it flow through the one continuous curve.

I'd also have the tip of the left one's tail up just a few pixels farther so the body covers it, instead of having it touch the bottom of the belly on a tangent. If that makes sense? Same goes for the male's hind legs and the tail; I get the feeling that you want the hind legs to be visible, but they're a lot smaller than the female's, and look a bit squished in as it is.

Just my thoughts. I like the concept!

Edited by Rohawk

Some things about this sprite seem disproportionate.  The hindquarters are much smaller than the front (without the legs attached, they'd be about the same size as the tail) and the head is small in ratio to the body.  If this is on purpose, I'd exaggerate the larger curves/parts of the sprite more -- the chest, tail -- so it looks more obvious, and have the body taper more deliberately instead of just having it flow through the one continuous curve.

I'd also have the tip of the left one's tail up just a few pixels farther so the body covers it, instead of having it touch the bottom of the belly on a tangent.  If that makes sense? Same goes for the male's hind legs and the tail; I get the feeling that you want the hind legs to be visible, but they're a lot smaller than the female's, and look a bit squished in as it is.

Just my thoughts.  I like the concept!

better?

i would work on the elbow area a bit, it looks a bit odd

hello, I need critique for this black and the brown Ramhorn Pigmy Dragons

(Note the shading is not finished, because of that they look flat at moment)

user posted image

and a few questions

are the lines ok?

is this size acceptable for an adult pigmy?

does it bother that the female/male pose is almost the same(only facing in the other direction and the horn addet on the male)

the neck seems pretty thick on the brown ones, maybe make the head a bit larger

@kittygrl thank you for the criticism,

the neck is really too thick?

both the dark and the brown dragon have the same head size

the neck shoud be muscular because of the heavy ramhorns

But I'm going to change something anyway, I will try to make the head bigger, or the neck thinner. And now I decided that I make 2 different Pigmies and not 2 Ramhorn Pigmies. I will change the horn and something else so they are less similar

@Wantdew I use Paint and/or Gimp

Not a dragon sprite, but a Thresher maw from Mass Effect.

Needing criticism for the lines mostly; point out any strange spots please?

post-25-1342916993.png

I made an adoptable site this morning, and I've gotta admit it's doing astounding for having just been made, but onto why I'm posting this, I've started spritework for it and was wanting crit. I'm not the best a shading bigger pieces yet, so please bear with me when I post the larger works. Right now I just have the egg and baby;

I know what you're probably thinking for the lamb. 'It should look more fluffy!', but I can't exactly do fur just yet... I can do it, it's just horrible...

user posted image

Anyone have crits on the shaded bits (ball of light, near wing's membrane, chest/belly)?

Edited by PieMaster

Your lines are very messy, and the anatomy is off. See here for a good tutorial, but ignore the AA and Iso parts, to help clean your lines. Also remember to look up a reference for anatomy. Dogs are good for anatomy on dragons (except for wings tongue.gif).

Wantdew, that tail looks very jagged, to start. There's one big lump where it meets the ground and then it's cut off. Your sprite has lots of straight lines and wobbly lines, rather than smooth curves.

Thanks guys! I haven't worked on it since I started spriting (About a week ago) and I've, just the other day, picked the project back up.

Here, I curved some of the lines a bit and I've begun to rework the anatomy(aka redraw it) on paper.

post-25-1343188507.png

Edited by Wantdew

Still a chunk at the tail-body connection, there's no body between the front and back legs according to what we see, the leg shouldn't just stick out of the chest like that either.

Feel free to edit it yourself. I will continue working on it no madder how people edit it.

The limbs are too thin for the body. They have no muscle. The head is strangely shaped. Like I said before, use reference images of a dog or horse or cat in the same position.

@Pie- The head seems like the best to me. It's reminiscent of a sauropod.

I had a go with AngelKitty's - some concrit would be nice? I colored it like that because it looked sort of like a magically-animated mudslide TBH. I know I've done something wrong with the highlights, but I can't figure out what. Opinions?

post-25-1343403263.png

Okay, big progress from my last post with art! I'm very proud of it happy.gif

user posted image

Crits?

Edited by PieMaster