Dis

The sprite practice thread.

Ahh, gotcha. I figured I probably misunderstood you. xd.png

user posted image > user posted image

Any better?

Edited by tikigurl91

@Whitefire: That is adorable!

I was going to say I have no crits but I realized that his wing membrane (the one in the front (the sprite's left)) is a little too short. I would move it down a bit further, like the one in the back.

In that one there's actually a line that follows the body down, but you cant really see it... here's the most recent one [chicken hat and all as per concepter]

user posted image

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...dpost&p=6469136

Edited by Whitefire

In that one there's actually a line that follows the body down, but you cant really see it... here's the most recent one [chicken hat and all as per concepter]

user posted image

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...dpost&p=6469136

I see it now.

The new one's wing looks better.

(Also I agree with you on the head. I prefer the first one.)

Edit:: Messed with the arm's shading. It's really been bothering me. Still can't seem to get it to look right....

user posted image > user posted image

Edited by tikigurl91

I'm the conceptor. I think the first head is cuter, but it doesn't fit the adult, which has a five-horned crown. The finished (hopefully) adult is below. Any crits?

user posted image

Well if you're going to match the adult, shouldn't the hatchie's crown be pointier, like the adult?

I can't really tell that the adult has a 5 point crown which is why I preferred the first head. But now I know. ^__^

The adult's shading looks a bit off to me. Especially on the wings. The lines seem really straight. If the highlights are coming from the glow then I don't think they should be so straight. They should get dark as they get further away, as with any light source, instead of just a bright line following the entire wing finger on every finger.

I'm horrible at explaining myself...

Example

See how the hightlights are curved and get darker the further they get away. That's what I'm getting at.

/fail

Thanks! The highlights do get darker as they get further away. I'll work on making the highlights more curved Monday or Tuesday (On vacation this weekend). Ill also mess with the lengths of them.

Edited by PieMaster

user posted image

I tried.

Only the bone and skin shaded...

Well, and the SHINY gem thingamy

That is awesome looking Shadowwolf! smile.gif

I would brighten the highlights and darken the shadows just a leetle bit though.

That is awesome looking Shadowwolf! smile.gif

I would brighten the highlights and darken the shadows just a leetle bit though.

Can't exactly brighten the highlights xd.png Or at least, on the bone and gem

Lightest colour is white...

Will darken the shadows though...

Edited by Shadowwolf6

Thanks Shadow for stream teaching me spriting tongue.gif

user posted image

angus, my 3yr old brother asked me to make it when he saw me making a dragon tongue.gif

Anyone like it? :/

^^

Let's try that again, shall we?

xd.png

You know what crits I gave you in the PM, let's turn you into a spriter...

biggrin.gif Oh yes! tongue.gif

or maybe not..... :/

Edited by pinkieseb

user posted image

Edited a bit.

End part of the tail is bone soo...

Ooh! I love that one! Can I draw it? If you have requirements just shoot me a PM :3

Ooh! I love that one! Can I draw it? If you have requirements just shoot me a PM :3

Check the thread, it's in Dragon Requests...

user posted image

Tiki, took your crits to the sprite and made some of my own. I also used others' crits. Any better?

Edited by PieMaster

Mmm, still not really seeing the curve.

Take a look at the Female Golden Wyvern. She is a perfect example of what I am talking about. How the highlights get larger as they get further down.

Also, after I zoomed in, I noticed you are using quite a bit of dithering, especially on the wings. Some dithering is OK but too much can make the sprite start to look pillow shaded. Don't be afraid to add more intermediate colors instead of dithering to make it look smoother.

If you still don't know what I mean, I can edit the wing to show you what I mean. You don't have to keep the edit, I just prefer visual examples. smile.gif

Decided to post an old sketch here to give ppl something to practice on =)

user posted image

Very nice Shadowwolf!

I would lighten up the midsection and the base of the tale a bit as they're rather dark. Other than that, it's great!

And thank Dolphinsong! I might sprite that later on. smile.gif

Edited by tikigurl91

user posted image

I need shading help. ;_; First off, I'm not quite sure how much of each shade should I put. Same with the light part.

user posted image

Fun. That was SO fun.

Anything I need to work on?

I know the tail is a bit wonky O.o I'll fix that soon...

@SoulFeather

I'm not much of a spriter myself but your dragon looks... sandy. I think the single pixel shadows are the problem? Also the lines on the tail part and the legs are a bit wobbly or too straight.

@ Shadowwolf6

Maybe the front wingtip is a bit uh.. pointy? i don't know how to describe it nor if it is a thing that needs to be fixed. It just looks a bit strange.

Have another sprite that needs help.

user posted image

First: Someone sees lineparts that need work?

I think I got the head, front paw and tail at least halfway decent shaded. I don't like that the body looks so segmented though. Is that a shading problem or do I simply need another color(or two?)?

Hope you can help me.