Dis

The sprite practice thread.

Shokomon, Rhynn Collins, Thank you! Sadaly - no, i've got no concept or idea for the dragon(Instead of waterrunner with transparent-geamy fins I've saw in dream too). Wonder it will be usefull for someone...

Lacking contrast? So, I need to darken the colors or something? (Beginner spriter...)

Basically you want your colours to not blend into each other so much. So let's say you have light grey and dark grey. To increase contrast (which is what you should do) you should make your light grey lighter and your dark grey darker.

Any comments for this? I was too lazy to make it transparent (that requires me to boot up another program and I lack internet time to wait for it).

user posted image

Edited by Ashywolf

The neck and tail are awfully stick-straight. The hind legs have strange anatomy; this image should help you a lot. Foreleg anatomy could use poking, too. They seem to have an extra bone in them.Here's a ref.

I think the shadow on the purple could use some dithering in with the mid shade, and the purple in general would benefit from another shade or two. Same goes for the wings.

Wing feathers are not correct. Currently, they would not work for flight. See this tutorial by TAE for help with feathered wings.

I would shorten the horn on the nose; right now it seems kind of awkward.

Why is the mane visible between the elbow and shoulder O.O?

Edited by PieMaster

The neck and tail are awfully stick-straight. The hind legs have strange anatomy; this image should help you a lot. Foreleg anatomy could use poking, too. They seem to have an extra bone in them.Here's a ref.

I think the shadow on the purple could use some dithering in with the mid shade, and the purple in general would benefit from another shade or two. Same goes for the wings.

Wing feathers are not correct. Currently, they would not work for flight. See this tutorial by TAE for help with feathered wings.

I would shorten the horn on the nose; right now it seems kind of awkward.

Why is the mane visible between the elbow and shoulder O.O?

Oh I've been looking for that leg anatomy guide thanks. I thought I was missing a bone in the foreleg, not giving it an extra one. I missed the carpal one (As I seem to typically do...).

Wings are sort of meant to be like that (in a I was lazy and just wanted to get it done way).

That purple tuft on the wing elbow is seperate from the mane.

Otherwise, thanks. I can't draw as well as Playdoh or shade as well as Corteo but I'm getting places.

Edited by Ashywolf

Crits please?

user posted image

user posted image

I made them for the Polar Dragon in dragon requests...

Crits Pl0x?

Crits please?

user posted image

user posted image

I made them for the Polar Dragon in dragon requests...

Crits Pl0x?

Regardless of whether it is furry or fuzzy it would help if you could smooth out some lines. That stray pixel on its back above its hind legs shouldn't be there. The tail has a straight line on the right side, see if you can round that out a bit and make it look more organic if you know what I mean.

The shading needs a little attention, but as to improving what you have I cannot really offer much because with shading it is best learned on your own. You seem to have a sort of gradient going on, its light at the top and dark at the bottom. The legs for example, should have Hard to explain.... My main advice would be to check completed list and compare.

EDIT: The egg isn't bad, but I'd recommend more contrast in shades i.e. make the darker shades more apparent. It should be a smooth transition from light to dark. Those markings don't look very organic, perhaps make one smaller, that should help.

Edited by Ashywolf

Regardless of whether it is furry or fuzzy it would help if you could smooth out some lines. That stray pixel on its back above its hind legs shouldn't be there. The tail has a straight line on the right side, see if you can round that out a bit and make it look more organic if you know what I mean.

The shading needs a little attention, but as to improving what you have I cannot really offer much because with shading it is best learned on your own. You seem to have a sort of gradient going on, its light at the top and dark at the bottom. The legs for example, should have Hard to explain.... My main advice would be to check completed list and compare.

EDIT: The egg isn't bad, but I'd recommend more contrast in shades i.e. make the darker shades more apparent. It should be a smooth transition from light to dark. Those markings don't look very organic, perhaps make one smaller, that should help.

Thanks! wink.gif

user posted image

Olook a dargun.

Edited by PieMaster

user posted image

I need some crits on this please

I'm confused with the hindquarters (lol I love this word)

Your tail seems to be coming from the middle of the back. If it was correct, then it should come from just behind/under the hind legs.

this is a sprite I made 100% by myself, no refrence. I just felt like it a few days ago.

user posted image

any advice?

this is a sprite I made 100% by myself, no refrence. I just felt like it a few days ago.

user posted image

any advice?

The night sky and moon are quite pretty ^^

As for the main attraction of the picture--I like the sparkly bits, but you need to try to control the body shape better. In a lot of the places it looks like his body gets thicker right where it enters the water and then gets thinner again where it arches out--his body shape should have one gently changing thickness, rather than him constantly getting thicker or thinner everywhere. The neck has some of the same issue going on. Still pretty, though, and a nice scene. smile.gif

On another note--do we just post sketches to leave them here...? Anyone can sprite these or redline or fiddle as they wish.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

This is from my own sketch, and only for my sig, but can I have crits?

user posted image ->user posted image

If this is a lindwyrm, it would be very awkward to have something on the bottom of its tail, as lindwyrms typically drag themselves across ground.

Its kind of like a spirit creature, so it levitates. The underside of the tail inspired by a Siamese fighting fish's tail.

This is from my own sketch, and only for my sig, but can I have crits?

user posted image ->user posted image

This is really nice!! I do like the concept, and the head fin(?) looks great. As a general rule, though, solid pixel lines with smooth coloring can look sort of out of place! I'm glad you weren't afraid to make the outmost lines dark, as that's something a lot of people get stuck in, and usually holds them back! Making some of the lines even brighter couldn't hurt, though, and would probably help details be shown better and give it some form.

Okay, I need advice on two different sprites. One would be the one I use as my avatar. (Sketch and original lines by Jennabob

user posted image

Is it still too dark? Is the light source okay? What can I do to improve the fins? Is there too much color? tongue.gif

The other one is only partially finished, since I have no idea how to go about shading the wings. xd.png

(Armored Western concept, sketch by Shadowdrake)

user posted image and user posted image

I'm not sure which color variation is going to be used, but I'd love input on that. Also, is the wing anatomy/perspective et cetera all right? How about the shading of the dragon, did I mess it up again? Are the belly scales too shiny, or the rest not shiny enough? (This dragon is supposed to be "a dragon in shining armor".)

Please feel free to offer any kind of concrit. smile.gif

Okay, I need advice on two different sprites. One would be the one I use as my avatar. (Sketch and original lines by Jennabob

user posted image

Is it still too dark? Is the light source okay? What can I do to improve the fins? Is there too much color? tongue.gif

The colours on the tail don't seem as vibrant as they could be, but that is more of a personal opinion I think. Alternatively perhaps make the highlights a little brighter and more contrasting. I'm referring to the "feather" on the end of the tail.

Edited by Ashywolf

The night sky and moon are quite pretty ^^

As for the main attraction of the picture--I like the sparkly bits, but you need to try to control the body shape better. In a lot of the places it looks like his body gets thicker right where it enters the water and then gets thinner again where it arches out--his body shape should have one gently changing thickness, rather than him constantly getting thicker or thinner everywhere. The neck has some of the same issue going on. Still pretty, though, and a nice scene. smile.gif

On another note--do we just post sketches to leave them here...? Anyone can sprite these or redline or fiddle as they wish.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc74/an...ppy/Chess22.png

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc74/an...uppy/Raptor.png

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc74/an...pirithach-1.png

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc74/an...py/ddsfsf-1.png

Added them to the first page.

Do you have any specific rules you want added?