Dis

The sprite practice thread.

This is a pixel icon I made for my DA account. Thoughts?

It's the only pixel thing I've done that looks good, other than a gigantic pagedoll I made.

post-25-1489862273.png

This is a pixel icon I made for my DA account. Thoughts?

It's the only pixel thing I've done that looks good, other than a gigantic pagedoll I made.

It looks really good! It could probably use some more texture/shading/contrast imo. I think it'd really bring out the best in what you've already done.

These are my favorite references and I find them really helpful to look at any time I start shading hair/fur on sprites and anthro-esque characters, maybe you'll find them helpful too. C:

Links: [x][x][x]

Aw man I have that fur tutorial! xd.png I've got to look at my tutorial folder some more.

I did some more pixels

I did a fox head from some lineart I made a while ago. Shading is obviously wrong with the dithering, but then I did some SAI cheater soft shading lol

user posted imageuser posted image

Then I tried to sprite Kila's tatterwing sketch. I didn't finish the sprite, but here's what I did do:

user posted image

Maybe I got to Dither-happy biggrin.gif

So I tried to make a dragon and I wanted some crits before I started shading it.

user posted image

Thoughts?

Uh I have no crits to contribute, but would anyone mind taking a quick look at this banner I made recently? The Espeon was pixeled off art done by Sugar-Free.

user posted image

Edited by Silverphoenixx

I think the espeon could benefit from some more soft shading-- not just a little by the edges. (Like, the the ears, beside the sign, etc.)

And so it shall be done~

user posted image

I couldn't get away with laziness, but I'll admit it looks a lot better when I put in more effort xd.png

Edited by Silverphoenixx

And so it shall be done~

user posted image

I couldn't get away with laziness, but I'll admit it looks a lot better when I put in more effort xd.png

That looks much better!! C:

You can take this suggestion or leave it, but the top of the head gets a littleclose to white-white; you may want to use a different (pinker/bluer) hue to show the lighting at the top of the head. Or maybe add some shadows.

It's mostly noticeable only because of the DC forum's white background tho.

user posted image

I decided to practice my shading. It's probably not DC worthy, but I tried. Could use some crits on this practice sprite to help me further my ability to shade.

EDIT: Progress shots before it was finished

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by Tsukoyami

So I've featured this thread to hopefully make it easier to find. This doesn't pin the thread, but does put a nifty little star next to the title to make it stand out.

On 6/22/2017 at 10:13 AM, Royal-Tentacle said:

user posted image

I decided to practice my shading. It's probably not DC worthy, but I tried. Could use some crits on this practice sprite to help me further my ability to shade.

The anatomy is a little interesting, but the shading isn't half-bad! Not at all. I think the dark shades on the wing are a little stark and could use a bit more gradient and the lighter colored wing shading could use a bit of smoothing, as it has kind of a dithered effect in some areas, but all in all, I think you used a good range of shades and picked a good angle to start practicing with. =)

I keep forgetting this is a thing.

Does anyone still use this?