Dis

The sprite practice thread.

Ponystar, yours looks very flat all around. Rather than looking like a 3-D animal, it looks more like someone took some clay, cut it out in that shape, and put it on paper. Sort of halfway between 2-D and 3-D. Bodies aren't just dark, medium, highlight. Also there's almost no shading on the body or front legs. Most likely they should have a little highlight to make a 2-D shape more rounded. Some muscle definition wouldn't hurt either, but that comes with anatomy.

Piemaster, I'd say the wings look too much like a series of gradients. It just bothers me that the far section of the wing membrane has as much highlight (if not more than) the wing membrane closest to the light.

Thanks for the crit! I'll work on it tomorrow smile.gif

EDIT: Better? user posted image

Edited by PieMaster

So I have some spritelines and would really like some crits on them:

user posted image

Should the colors make trouble I'll erase them.

To clarify: this creature has clawed feet and 'hands'.

I know the tail and body look unnatural, but I am not sure what I have to do to change that. I'm not sure about the head either.

Help please.

meh,this is an attempt at my own dragon,it's a hatchling

i fail at shading dry.gif

user posted image

It looks better, PieMaster, although I'm not really good at shading so I can't help you finetune it more. Sorry.

IsmaielDeath, your lines look pretty good to me. Unfortunately I'm not good at anatomy either. tongue.gif

invi, your hatchie isn't hatchie size; it's almost the size of an adult dragon sprite. Your shading needs much more contrast to be visible and all DC dragons have an outline around the sprite. What's that yellow circle above the tail?

user posted image

Could I have crits on this guy?

Yep, I know it's confusing...

It's a drakenlitch from Dragon requests. Blue is bone, black is muscly stuff...

Back leg has skin.

user posted image

Crits? It uses 36 colors including the semi-transparent areas and transparent background.

user posted image

Sprite from Gradient's sketch. I might color it. Crits?

Yeah I know the feet are horrible. Eventually I'll get around to fixing them.

So I've been on an art kick the past few hours. I think I'm finally worn out.

Would love some crit on this guy. > user posted image

There are a few things I see that I will definitely fix up later on but I want to see if there is anything I was missing before I start... shading. Dx

*note:: They are supposed to have teeny wings which are useless for flight.

It started out as a quick sketch in between T.V. Shows, which turned into an hour long sketch, which turned into a 2 hour long sprite. Which will now probably turn into a concept. >.<

@Shadowwolf6, uum, uum, IDK.

@PieMaster, looks great but the pose seems weird to me.

@Mistshadow, flat color, fix feet, post.

@tikigurl91, shade/shape and your good.

P.S

I am not the most experienced spriter.

Edited by Wantdew

Was bored so I decided to shade the bugger.

user posted image > user posted image

*note:: They are supposed to have teeny wings which are useless for flight.

I'll work on the leg though, thanks! happy.gif

Edit:: Actually I'll be working on all of the legs as they have been bothering me for a while. I have another leg pose idea in mind anyway.

Edit2:: user posted image > user posted image

Edited by tikigurl91

First ever attempt at a non-egg sprite. Any crits before I add more details and start shading?

user posted image

Moonbeam22, there are several things wrong with your sprite. First, the maximum size of a sprite is about 100x100, although the very max is 100x120 or 120x100. Second, your lines are 2px wide. I suggest you read this guide.

Edited by Mistshadow

Well, the maximum size for a DragCave sprite is 100 x 100; going even a bit over that will make a sprite unlikely to be used. Moonbeam's sprite, only the dragon, is about 120X140. It has lots of jagged, rough lines and the lines need to be cleaned up.

Mistshadow, usually people don't see all the toes on the far foot.

Tikigurl, maybe you could tilt the part between the foot and the ankle.

Shadowwolf, some of your lines look too straight. Maybe you could add more curves, like at the horns and tip of the tail.

Shadowdrake, when I try to fix that it just looks really weird, it looks better showing xd.png

Edited by Mistshadow

I edited Dracchan's sprite a bit for practice and shaded it (I've done Pokemon sprites, but to me shading from scratch is hard).

user posted image

Edited by dragonstar32

@Whitefire: That is adorable!

I was going to say I have no crits but I realized that his wing membrane (the one in the front (the sprite's left)) is a little too short. I would move it down a bit further, like the one in the back.

@dragonstar: I see little to no shading at all. It definitely needs more highlights and shadows.

Edit::

@Shadowdrake: user posted image > user posted image

It is already tilted a bit but I tilted it some more. Is this better?

Also, any comments on the shading?

Edit2:: Actually, I feel this looks a bit better: user posted image

Edited by tikigurl91

Dragonstar, there need to be more shadows, more highlights, and more contrast between midtone and shadow.

tikigurl, I meant the hind leg closer to us (the dragon's left back leg). Although your edit does look better.

Shadowwolf, your sprite's looking good.