Dis

The sprite practice thread.

user posted image

So that is just something I did for deviantart, but I'm rather proud of the shading. From what little you might be able to see there, is it ok? (The beak of the bird/Gryphon thingy is a bit derpish xd.png)

I've been doing bits of shading and that lot recently, and I feel I have improved...

user posted image

So that is just something I did for deviantart, but I'm rather proud of the shading. From what little you might be able to see there, is it ok? (The beak of the bird/Gryphon thingy is a bit derpish xd.png)

I've been doing bits of shading and that lot recently, and I feel I have improved...

Before I get onto shading crits, there are 2 other things that need some poking.

1- text colour blends in way too much. Make it a lighter colour.

2- this grey background isn't good for your colours. Your bird/Gryphon thingy's colours blend in too much and it makes it look kind of dull.

I don't really use this kind of shading much so I don't have much to say here, but to me it seems you have too much texture and not enough depth. The texture itself is pretty good though.

Edited by Ashywolf

Well i did figure out a few issues biggrin.gif

not all are resolved but i fixed a few

user posted image -> user posted image

i am aware of the feathering issue in the wings, which will be fixed as soon as i figure that out..

The right wing is behind the left in the original picture, so that's as good as it is going to get for now.

I did fix the feet a bit but pardon the crest, i messed up on it and it's being fixed..

CRITS?

2. There is a flat line on the back of the neck and just above the tail, try rounding it.

*Slinks in*

user posted image

Crits on the shading?

The lines weren't done by me, so you can leave those alone...

That is lovely! <3

The white on the feet and head seem kind of flat and the large white part on the wing looks like it needs to be blended a bit more. I can see the lines where the different shades connect, if that makes sense...

Also, there are a few oddly places highlights on the front wing. One under the end of the last finger and another under the top curve.

Edited by tikigurl91

Much better. ^__^

I love the texture of the body. So glossy!

There is still that one highlight under the last wing finger though. The one that is closest to the body.

I can't find it O.o

Could you circle it?

I can find the wing finger, but not the highlight that looks off...

Gonna poke this again and ask for some crits on these two:

user posted image

Gonna poke this again and ask for some crits on these two:

user posted image

A somewhat personal opinion: I think the tail on the left could be improved quite a bit. It seems kind of stiff and straight. You have space to curve it.

I like them.

No, I agree. I just put the tail there because I got fed up with it. I'll move it eventually. X\

Updated sprites are in my DR thread.

just something I'm working on

user posted image

hoping I can get some crits on it

The wings - I'm guessing they're feathered? - look too shiny, if they were feathers, they wouldn't be as shiny as that. They also kinda dominate the sprite, draw attention away from the head and tail.

The paws look kinda weird, I think they have long fingers, but it's hard to tell.

The wings - I'm guessing they're feathered? - look too shiny, if they were feathers, they wouldn't be as shiny as that. They also kinda dominate the sprite, draw attention away from the head and tail.

The paws look kinda weird, I think they have long fingers, but it's hard to tell.

Feathers can be shiny. Lots of birds with shiny and/or iridescent feathers out there.

Feathers can be shiny. Lots of birds with shiny and/or iridescent feathers out there.

Like this one.

user posted image

I want to get into spriting

whats a good app, website for it?

This thread has some really helpful information.

I personally use MS Paint (the regular, boring thing that comes with all Microsoft computers) but I'm not really a professional spriter tongue.gif I do know that a lot of other amazing spriters use Paint as well though.

edited because Apple's autocorrect implies there are amazon spriters and no amazing spriters.

Edited by cfmtfm

ahmahgersh

user posted image

yellr

This is for a computer game and has 2 [maybe more] forms after it, this is like a base-form. Crits plox?

ahmahgersh

user posted image

yellr

This is for a computer game and has 2 [maybe more] forms after it, this is like a base-form. Crits plox?

Left side of face looks squashed a bit. Round the bottom left out a little.

Okay, so, this is, in fact, my first sprite ever, I do believe. >///>

user posted image

I used this drawing to make it. I realize that the anatomy/ pose is really bad, but it as just practice, so don't worry about that. Mostly about shading and linework which are just, well, awful, bleh. I think for a first sprite it's not bad but ti's also definately not good. So any advice/crits would be seriously welcome.

That is amazing for your first sprite! <3

Now let's see. First of all, your lines are great. The tail would probably benefit from being curved a bit more though. Right now it is a bit straight.

As for shading. You might want to change those straight black outlines to a dark green instead.

Also, the light source is a bit confusing for me. It looks, to me, like the chest and legs should be in shadow from the wing. By looking at the head, the light source seems to be coming from the top right, but the bottom of the chest and legs suggest left.

The bottom of the tail should have a bit more shadow near the bottom as well. Right now, it's mostly highlight. It's hard to tell that it's shaded.

I have a hard time with light sources myself so I could be mistaken.

But I must say again, that is a lovely sprite. You definitely have potential (especially if that is your first sprite.)