Dis

The sprite practice thread.

I would try some dithering to smooth the colors smile.gif

Also, user posted image crits?

The backwing looks a bit flat to me. And maybe try a shadow on top of the head? If the tail is the only light source than there would be no light from above to highlight the upper head.

Thanks for the dithering tip! I totally forgot about that, maybe because I don't like dithering that much. But I'll try it xd.png.

YEah, dithering can be a pain, but when there are large areas of one shade, it definitely helps a ton.

Thanks for the crits! I'm probably going to leave the head alone, because it's supposed to be lighter than the body a bit, but I'll poke the back wing ^^ It's supposed to be in almost all shadow though, so I may not be able to do anything about it >.>

Ah, MUCH better biggrin.gif

Also, i decided that thumbs must die:

user posted image

Edited by PieMaster

Maybe just make the end of the for wing even darker?

Now complete with dithering:

user posted image

Crits?

I actually wouldn't dither on this. Too much dithering doesn't look very nice.

Instead, try using muscles and skin texture to fill in the space.

user posted image

Is this better? Dithered a little bit, so it looks somewhat less flat.

Which brings me back to my problems. wink.gif

I have no clue what stomach/back muscles look like on a big feline. I used a foto for the sprite and you actually can't see any muscles on the foto. It is all under the fur.

I have no clue how to sprite something with short fur. Long fur is like hair (something I also have to practise) but short fur? How do you do it? Are there tutorials for that? The ones I know are all for long fur/hair. sad.gif

Help very much appreciated.

While dithering makes the sprite a bit 'messy' it is at least better than those lines I had before. (In fakt I think it looks better than I could imagine. Thanks again PieMaster!)

Basically shade it like this

user posted image

Only with much less detail and less contrast. Then you could dither a tiny bit for texture.

user posted image

Not a dragon sprite, haha, just something I'm working on. I'm using this ref image, and I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on how to add some whiskers without it looking really stupid?

Not done with the shading, but other crits would be good anyway, please :3

Maybe white whiskers will look fine? Not too much, though. Also try to make the yellow shadows darker.

Which brings me back to my problems. wink.gif

I have no clue what stomach/back muscles look like on a big feline. I used a foto for the sprite and you actually can't see any muscles on the foto. It is all under the fur.

I have no clue how to sprite something with short fur. Long fur is like hair (something I also have to practise) but short fur? How do you do it? Are there tutorials for that? The ones I know are all for long fur/hair. sad.gif

Help very much appreciated.

While dithering makes the sprite a bit 'messy' it is at least better than those lines I had before. (In fakt I think it looks better than I could imagine. Thanks again PieMaster!)

Try this: http://ostwyn.deviantart.com/art/TUTORIAL-...47433280&qo=394

Just awesome textures and how to make them with sprites. Also done by an artist of the Snow Angel.

user posted image

Does this little guy look any better?

Try this: http://ostwyn.deviantart.com/art/TUTORIAL-...47433280&qo=394

Just awesome textures and how to make them with sprites. Also done by an artist of the Snow Angel.

user posted image

Does this little guy look any better?

And here is it's baby:

user posted image

<3

Tail. I know, it looks cut off...

Edited:

user posted image

And a dragon spitting embers, as their name suggets:

user posted image

Edited by Shadowwolf6

So my question is I can draw but I have never put anything in pixels...

How would I go about transfering a drawing into a sprite? I can get any tools you guys reccomend (been drooling for a tablet for a while)

I would really love to get more into digital art so any advice/tutorials are welcome...

Edit to add: I minored in Art in college and I know shading etc... I just have never drawn or transfered any drawings on a computer.

Edited by Katty0

How would I go about transfering a drawing into a sprite? I can get any tools you guys reccomend (been drooling for a tablet for a while)

I would really love to get more into digital art so any advice/tutorials are welcome...

Edit to add: I minored in Art in college and I know shading etc... I just have never drawn or transfered any drawings on a computer.

A tablet is nice, but I usually don't use mine for spiriting, except maybe sketching out the base drawing, although you can draw and scan that too. You can even take a picture, because crappy quality doesn't matter as long as you can tell the proportions and stuff. I would suggest looking up tutorials since there are a lot of things you need to learn, because pixeling is WAY different from normal drawing. For programs, MS paint isn't actually that bad, since complicated programs can actually be hard to pixel with. I would suggest it as a beginner. Once you have the basics of pixeling, though, I'd switch to something like Photoshop or Gimp. Make sure you use the right paint tools so that your brushes aren't all weird and anti aliased, because that will totally not work for pixel art. In Gimp, use the pencil tool, and the eraser tool with the "hard edge" mode on, but IDK about photoshop.

It's kind of hard to get really good at, and you need a ton of practice, because it is so different from other kinds of drawing, but you sound like you know a lot I'm sure you'll pick it up pretty fast. Good luck biggrin.gif

^^

In photoshop you hold you're mouse down over the brush and it will give you the otion of brush, pencil or something else that I can't remember at the moment. Then you just need to scale it down.

The Ultimate Guide to Spriting is like my Bible. I love it. It will pretty much show you how to do anything you need to know about spriting. smile.gif

But basically it is just scanning or taking a picture of your drawing. Saving it on your computer and opening it up in Paint (which is what I use) or any art program of your choosing, and placing each pixel, one by one, over top of the picture until you have an outline. Then erase everything else.

Edit::

Would love to know if there is anymore crit for this guy. Especially shading-wise. biggrin.gif

user posted image

Edited by tikigurl91

The shoulder seems to meld with the wingarm.