Dis

The sprite practice thread.

Ashywolf:

The sprite itself is good, but it has a few anatomy issues smile.gif The thighs are quite thick compared to the rest of the body; or perhaps it's the waist that's too thing. The left arm (its left) seems to bend the wrong way.

And the head seems to be too small and too far to the back. The helmet-thing makes it look bigger, yes, but when you think about the actual head under it, it's too small smile.gif

Really liking the sword though, and I like the colours you chose happy.gif

I'm pretty sure its the thighs. TY for crits.

<<- Is lazy with human sprites. Dragons are so much easier.

Edited by Ashywolf

Been trying out some more dynamic poses, trying to get better at anatomy.

Any comments on this guy?

user posted image

Been trying out some more dynamic poses, trying to get better at anatomy.

Any comments on this guy?

user posted image

Straight diagonal line at the bottom curve of tail needs a little poke. Otherwise pretty good.

user posted image

Yey. ^^

Edit:: DX Just noticed it saved to a jpg. Grrr.

Edited by tikigurl91

Hm. The top of the tail seems to have a rather sharp angle; try smoothening it a little bit.

Where is the other front leg? It should be at least somewhat visible in that pose if you don't want the poor thing to look like it's falling over, haha.

I would also recommend using a few less shades in your shading, it looks a bit too smooth to me, if that's possible xd.png

added a leg and poked the shading

user posted image the hatchie goes with this --->user posted image

so smooth and shiny is good biggrin.gif (although it doesn't look shiny enough yet >:l )

I'll fix the tail smile.gif

user posted image

Yey. ^^

Edit:: DX Just noticed it saved to a jpg. Grrr.

Two other things I would personally change:

-Left hind leg could do with some smoothing maybe. See that farthest left line? It doesn't really match.

The wing on the right is not as rounded at the bit where the elbow connects with the wing finger as it should be (see left wing).

Edited by Ashywolf

user posted image

I has crits pl0x?

That's pretty good.

The nearest fore leg has a strange bend on the hand/paw/whatev. It kind of juts out strangely near the end. It should curve more like the far one.

Maybe add a bit more contrast to the wing shades. All those blues seem quite similar at the moment.

That is all I have for now, I might have another look at it later.

The wings were intended to have more of a matte texture.

Infi fixed the "blobfoot syndrome" as she calls it for me, and gave me some crits, in the IRC. Poked the ankle.

user posted image

Edited by PieMaster

user posted image

Newer version. Added more shades to the wings and one more to the body.

Had to redo the lines since all of them saved as jpg for some reason. My Paint likes doing that for some reason now so I've had to switch to Photoshop. >.<

user posted image > user posted image

Edit:: Started shading...

Edited by tikigurl91

I have virtually no experience in this sort of thing but wanted to take a shot at it anyway. x3

Hatchie lineart.

user posted image > user posted image

And then I decided to finish the adult before attempting to shade it. >.>

And random egg.

user posted image

Obviously I'm still learning. Advice would be awesome. biggrin.gif

Edited by ab613

^You're doing quite well for a first shot at it! For the hatchling, you might want to work on making some lines smoother/longer, such the front of its neck. Where the neck connects to the head, you have a short two-pixel line that makes it look awkward. Try making that line longer or possibly doing away with it wink.gif Yep, I have no idea how to explain lining other than a lot of trial and error. The egg is pretty good, but it looks like there are two sharp ends.. take a look at your everyday egg in the refrigerator or something, and you'll see that the 'bottom' is a lot more rounded than the top. It looks like you've rounded the top a little bit(Upside-down egg? biggrin.gif) but you can see the egg seems a bit tall. You're off to a great start, though!

And now for me.. a sharky. I did the lines very quickly, so there may be a few errors there rolleyes.gif Oops.

What I mostly want to know about is the shading.. I've never really done any decent shading on anything other than a sphere or egg, so I experimented on my sharky. Shading crit? :3 Oh, and I kept the lines black.. hm.. I'll go fix that later.

user posted image

Edited by Aquenee

A "dreamgem" egg. I saw in the dream only the circles on royal-blue-like egg.

user posted image

Thanks for help and tips to guys from art IRC wink.gif

So...No one has any constructive criticisms for my Turret egg? Because I would like some, especially on shading...

@ MinaraiAkira: Oh wow! That's a pretty egg! Do you have a dragon to go with that! It look like you were trying to make the gem in the middle glow and light up the egg... If that was your intent, it worked quite well! biggrin.gif

(Look below for the Portal Turret egg.)

post-25-1348592883.png

Edited by Shokomon

@Aquenee: Very nice! The flipper-fin-thingy (whatsitsname) looks very flat, almost like a sheet of paper. Try making the shading less flat, give it more mass.

The overall shading is kind of flat, actually. You sort of follow the shapes of the shark's body, but try curving your shadows some more. You're definitely on the right track there, just have to amplify it a bit smile.gif

I would also suggest toning down the dithering. It's giving the shark a look as if the skin is rough, which isn't generally what shark skin looks like. Add a mid-tone if needed smile.gif

@MinaraiAkira: very nice concept, I don't think I have any crits for you though xd.png

@Shokomon: sorry, I completely forgot to post my crits for you when you first posted the egg ohmy.gif

It's cool, but lacks contrast in the shading. That makes it look pretty flat. So try upping the contrast!

Lacking contrast? So, I need to darken the colors or something? (Beginner spriter...)