Dis

The sprite practice thread.

user posted image

How's this? Still want to keep a lot of the tears, as I really like the way they look. As such, I came up with an idea I posted in their thread so it makes sense.

Also, here's the male flats/lines. Only line differences between his lines and flats are the markings on the neck (redid them on the flats):

user posted imageuser posted image

With the tears they have in their wings, it would be best to give them a lot of membrane, if it's a dragon that's expecting to get a few tears, I would give it a lot of bembrane, not all the way, but more then there is already....

I think the amount of membrane is fine as is; Anubites are aggressive, but only when threatened, so I assume they are constantly threatened while guiding dragons. As such, they would get in many fights, and their membrane would be torn. Thanks for the crits; they've helped smile.gif

Just noticed I forgot to clean up lines near the area the male's membrane joins his hip. Easy fix there tongue.gif

Sprite for learning:

user posted image

critz??

The close hind leg needs a bit more defining on it's underside; it melds with the tail as of now. The far foreleg looks a bit odd coming from in front of the near one; I'd move it to behind the near foreleg because of the perspective. Also, minor hangbutt.

Seeing as how my hand art is seriously pitiful and I have no way of transferring paper medium to my computer anyway, I decided to try free-lining an idea I had for my male Arbor/Dryad Drake - primarily using references of Bambi's father... You know, the Prince of the Forest. You know!

Well... anyway, this handsome little (Arbor) Dryad Drake has a question for you more experienced artists. You see, apparently he agrees that I kinda failed. The orange and green lines were roughed out just so I wouldn't feel like the rest of him was randomly floating there. The hind leg is killing me. And I didn't leave enough room for wings. I haven't even figured out what pose I want the wings to BE in. I do like the fringe down his chest. For the most part. His neck itself, though, seems a little too thick, though. The three legs I've done properly in purple I'm kinda in between on all of them. Eh. His butts kinda flat, shoulder's a little awkward, his head is far too small for that neck. Gaaah... THAT NECK. T_T I'm not sure how I feel about the antler(s) at all. Wings? Wat? Oh hai, yeah. No, I hadn't gotten that far. But I'm pretty sure I've already mentioned that. >.>

Any advice on how to go about correcting some of his anatomical deficiencies would be very much appreciates. Redlines aren't necessary, despite what the sprite says; it's merely the same image used in my dragon request thread.

user posted image -> user posted image

Edited by garnetrising

Hmm.. I drew an egg:3

Well.. I drew 3 eggs:333

I used the outer template thing from the question mark eggs in the cave and just tried a bunch of shading. I only /just/ know what spriting is.. so i just wanna know if this is a good attempt tongue.gif

After loadsa editing (>_<) here they are:

user posted image

Critz? smile.gif

What I do with my eggs is this:

I use the base of the silver egg...

follow that shade/highlight lines and then take the darkest shade and make it a bit darker for outer lines smile.gif

that way you're ALWAYS sure that you have the shades and highlights right wink.gif

user posted image

just save the image to your computer then open it in paint (or whatever you use) happy.gif

you're welcome happy.gif

I would love to see your eggs finished with this :3

thanks!!!!

user posted image

Any better? happy.gif

I don't see that anyone has commented on your wings yet:

They look really flat, kind of like a piece of plastic. Try giving it some shadows and highlights where the wing membrane would be bent. :>

Modly note: Please keep the chatter down. Keep this thread for talking about sprites, not for random chat.

Edited by kiffren

yeah I don't really know how to do the wings properly yet tongue.gif

I didn't really think about where the wing fingers should go also when I made it...

and sorry about that tongue.gif

A good way to figure out how to shade wings is to look at lots and lots of references of bats. Looking through the completed list and studying other sprites is a good method as well.

I generally stick some shadows and highlights in random spots and hope that it turns out right.

thanks happy.gif

I mostly learn by doing :"]

if I see something being done I'm not able to use that to my own situation *bloody autism*

will look at bats and the completed list tho smile.gif

Umbredurr has sprite. Critiques are welcome. The highlights are kinda... meh.

post-25-1335399433.png

Edited by UmbreWulf

Umbredurr has sprite. Critiques are welcome. The highlights are kinda... meh.

Wow, the line of the back is really straight! So is the top of the neck. It would look a lot less painful if you rounded 'em out some. The front legs are also pretty noodly and look like they have too many joints, you want to define the joints more. The shading looks nice but you should try and fix the anatomy first.

Halp please. My thread lacks attention (as usual).

Anatomy crits needed.

user posted image

Ashywolf: The head looks a little heavy for the body but I know nothing 'bout spriting.

I also defined his noodle arms and gave his back some curves. I was so scared of

-making the mane too big and fluffy

-the shading. Just everything about the shading.

But... I guess Umbre the spriting newb did a halfway decent-ish job.

post-25-1335434732.png

Just a quick crit on the anatomy. The legs still seem very noodly, as if they don't have bones or the bones are in the wrong place. Try looking at pictures of dogs or horses jumping to help you understand the anatomy a bit better. It's helped me a lot; looking at pictures of animals to get my poses correct.

I'll try to stop in later to give more crit. It's a lovely start though! I love the colors! smile.gif

...I think I just made it worse. Feel free to redline the noodle arms.

post-25-1335437180.png

Really quick redline. The body position doesn't seem quite right to me and the leg anatomy is far from perfect; but this is just to give you an idea how to give the legs some structure.

user posted image