Dis

The sprite practice thread.

user posted image

This whole part confuses me. I think I can make out the head but I not too sure. I think it's the random splotches of color that is throwing me off. The rest of the body is pretty good. Could use some smoothing in a few places and the legs need to be evened out (the far back leg looks a lot thinner than the front and the far front arm looks longer).

But there are some parts that are rather confusing to me. Maybe if I could see the original sketch I could be of more help.

Also, I've been working on this little bugger for a long time now. He's my practice sprite. Decided to add some wings on him and I'm wondering if I could get some further crits on his shading and overall appearance?

(Note: I did not shade his wing membrane or the far wing yet.)

user posted image

Edit:: Decided to shade the wings and do a few more edits. Man this guy looks bad. >.<

user posted image

Edited by tikigurl91

The art here looks so good, I'm embarrassed to post this here >< But if I don't, I won't improve, so...

user posted image

I sprited Slaskia's sketch, and the wings, fins, tail, the thing at it's chin looks a bit weird to me, but this being my first attempt at spriting, I guess it's not bad?

Comments, concrit and suggestions greatly appreciated, be as harsh as you need to be, I need to learn to handle being criticized.

I have a question though. Sprite lines are supposed to be 1 pixel thick right? But is that a whatever-you-do-you-have-to-abide-by-it rule or are there certain exceptions? I know I have some thicker lines around the wings and fins, because I just couldn't figure out how to sprite those areas using only 1 pixel lines. Any tips on that?

(On previewing this post, the image looks a bit fuzzy, is it just me though?)

It's fuzzy because you saved it as a JPG/JPEG. You don't do that to sprites; it blurs them. Either save them as GIF or PNG.

So... I gave myself another project... I did these all in one day; http://whitefire321.deviantart.com/gallery/34138586#/d4iwl4c

crits/comments either here or on the image is fine, would like opinions/votes on which egg I should use. I think i'm gonna poke the adult's tail fur some more...

It's fuzzy because you saved it as a JPG/JPEG. You don't do that to sprites; it blurs them. Either save them as GIF or PNG.

Oh, I didn't even notice that I had saved it as a JPEG file. Thanks for telling me that ^^

I saved it as a PNG file this time.

user posted image

Concrit and suggestions? Also, so does the 1 pixel line rule have exceptions? How do I go about spriting the parts like the wings and the thing underneath its chin without having any 2 pixel thick lines?

EDIT:

Did the other one during my break from homework:

user posted image

(Colors were just so that I could distinguish the parts, pink parts are further away)

I'm really not happy with the far fin, but I don't know how to get around it >< Also, I still can't figure it out, but what's the long limb(?) below the tail (in dark blue for both sprites)

Edited by Nicoleong9

So... I gave myself another project... I did these all in one day; http://whitefire321.deviantart.com/gallery/34138586#/d4iwl4c

crits/comments either here or on the image is fine, would like opinions/votes on which egg I should use. I think i'm gonna poke the adult's tail fur some more...

Quoting for new page.

Would crit but it's like almost midnight here o_e

user posted image

Started some furry shading... Wondering what people thought...

@Nicoleong9:

That is fantastic, especially considering it is your first spriting attempt.

As for the 1 pixel thick rule, I don't see any problems with your sprites. If it is two parts that are overlapping and are too small, it should be fine, like the fins under the chin (on the first one). Although you could probably extend the fin a little and make it bigger so it looks a little better.

Also, on the first sprite, the line on the back looks really straight. It should have a curve to it for the shoulders, like in the sketch. But most of your lines are nice and smooth, which is nice. smile.gif

Oh and I'm not 100% sure what that extra limb is in the front but I'm assuming it is another fin maybe?

@Whitefire:

They are lovely! <3

The adult's head is kind of hard to make out though and it doesn't look like the horns are shaded, they just look completely black. I feel like all of the blacks parts (on the adult and the hatchies) could use some stronger highlights.

Also, the front legs and tail on the hatchies kind of get lost in each other. Would it be possible to reposition the tail somewhere else so it doesn't look like a really curvy extra arm?

@Shadowwolf6:

The two nearest legs (front and back) are looking a bit blocky. The far back leg looks nice but the near back leg doesn't match it at all.

And it's supposed to be furry yeah? It's not really looking furry to me but you just started shading it so I can't really crit on that until you've gotten a bit further. I can't do fur though so I probably wouldn't be much help. I know there is a tutorial somewhere one fur. I'll see if I can find it if you don't know where it is. happy.gif

Edit:: Gonna throw this guy up here again. Would love some comments. <3

user posted image

Edited by tikigurl91

@Shadowwolf6:

The two nearest legs (front and back) are looking a bit blocky. The far back leg looks nice but the near back leg doesn't match it at all.

And it's supposed to be furry yeah? It's not really looking furry to me but you just started shading it so I can't really crit on that until you've gotten a bit further. I can't do fur though so I probably wouldn't be much help. I know there is a tutorial somewhere one fur. I'll see if I can find it if you don't know where it is. happy.gif

Thank you biggrin.gif

I'll see if I can correct it...

user posted image

I know it's not a dragon, but it's my first attempt at spriting. Can anyone give me any tips on how to improve? I'd love to sprite dragons, but I just couldn't get the lines right, so I started with something more simple. I'd love some critique. Thanks!

@Whitefire:

They are lovely! <3

The adult's head is kind of hard to make out though and it doesn't look like the horns are shaded, they just look completely black. I feel like all of the blacks parts (on the adult and the hatchies) could use some stronger highlights.

Also, the front legs and tail on the hatchies kind of get lost in each other. Would it be possible to reposition the tail somewhere else so it doesn't look like a really curvy extra arm?

They aren't horns; fuzzy antenae.

Yeah i'm gonna up the contrast on the black when I get the chance, as well as fix the hatchlings. I was thinking about giving them black socks to help with the feet issue, and socks were in the original art, would that help?

Ah OK, sorry. Either way, they need some more contrast so they aren't completely black. happy.gif

And yes, I think black socks would help.

@Heart_of_the_Wind:

That is a wonderful first sprite! Very cute too. =3

It looks a bit pillow shaded in some spots, especially the back leg. I'm also seeing random spots of highlights and it is hard to tell where the light source is by looking at the whole sprite. I see the head and wings have a definite light source, but the rest of the body just has random spots of light on it. The back part of the body doesn't seem too shaded either.

The lines on the back leg and belly are also looking a bit thick, are they 1 px thick?

Some of the lines could use smoothing and shaping, like on the head I see a very straight line on the top and the neck is rather straight as well.

Keep up the good work though, it's off to a wonderful start! ^__^

Decided to upload these before I went overseas...

So I tried to improve on my sprites, mainly the fins, and this is what I came up with:

Before --> After

user posted image --> user posted image

Concrit? Suggestions?

(I thought I improved a lot when I looked back just now, but comparing the two side by side now, it doesn't look much different, and almost looks worst >< I don't know, but the second one seems messier >< On second thought, maybe the first drafts were better?)

Okay, thanks! I'm still struggling a bit with getting the lines looking like I want them too. I'll try to work on getting a more direct light source as well. Hopefully it will get better with practice! ^^ Thanks for the feedback, though!

@Nicoleong9:

Not they are looking better! Although I am still seeing a few straight and jagged lines on both of the sprites, particularly on the back of the neck of the second sprite. It seems like the sprite should have more of a flow to (more curves) it since it is a water... creature.

@Whitefire:

Looks much better, although the antenna are still looking a little dark.

And now that I've looked at it some more, the back leg seems pretty short. It could just be the perspective, but the front legs look much longer than the back leg.

But I have to say, those wings are gorgeous. I am terrible at wing shading and could never figure out how to give them texture, but yours are lovely. <3

Edit::

Also, decided to work on an abandoned project of mine. Haven't gotten around to shading it but would like some comments on the lines.

user posted image

Would also still love some crits for my dragon, posted a few posts back.

Edited by tikigurl91

The back legs look small because they're folded, at an angle, and a bit covered by the wing. And lengthened out they're about the same length as the front legs. Let me make an excuse for everything

Guess i'll poke the antennae tomorrow... getting late here :L

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

My spritelines for the Antarian dragon. I've pretty much given up spriting for that thread, because my sprite was too small for feathery wings and fur (this is my first spriting attempt, ever.), at least with my skill level. I have NO experience coloring and shading, and also if there is anything I need to fix with the sprite (most recent one is on the bottom), please tell me.

Edited by TVTD

i've been spriting for the wolven dragon, here are the sprites so far

S1 hatchieuser posted image

S2 Female hatchieuser posted image

adult maleuser posted image

they have been turning out pretty good!

but when i tried to do the S2 Male hatchie it turned out like this

user posted image

terible isnt it? and its my second try!

i don't know why but im having trouble outlining this, can anyone tell me whats wrong or redline it?

oh and any critique on the other sprites would be nice too.

i've been spriting for the wolven dragon, here are the sprites so far

S1 hatchieuser posted image

S2 Female hatchieuser posted image

adult maleuser posted image

they have been turning out pretty good!

but when i tried to do the S2 Male hatchie it turned out like this

user posted image

terible isnt it? and its my second try!

i don't know why but im having trouble outlining this, can anyone tell me whats wrong or redline it?

oh and any critique on the other sprites would be nice too.

I redlined the S2 hatchie

olduser posted image--->newuser posted image

P.S how do you make the background transparent?

Redlines mehbeh?

The only thing I didn't touch is the left leg (facing front) because I am horrible with perspective and wasn't sure what to do with it.

Edited by tikigurl91

thanks tikigurl91!

also

user posted image

how does this look to everyone?

its my first sprite 100% mine including the sketch!

the wierd headshape was partially on purpase. its sopposed to be horselike.

oh yeah and its animated

The Moth Dragon looks great Whitefire! Can't find anything else wrong with it. happy.gif

The other (WIP) is gorgeous!

The only thing that bothers me is the arms. They seem kind of thick for the body type. And I'm seeing a few straight and jagged lines on the closest arm, near the hand. And the far arm seems to be a bit thick near the elbow. And what is that bump under the hand (on the far arm)?

I'm sorry if I sound confusing, I just got done a 10 hour shift and I'm pretty tired. Can't seem to find the words I'm looking for right now. >.<

Oh, and Steamrider. That is awesome looking. The head looks pretty big though. Doesn't look like he'd be able to hold it up without a lot of effort. xd.png

It also looks like he should have bigger hips. The base of his tail is rather thick but it gets pretty thin around the waist area.

Kind of hard to crit on a moving sprite though so I could be wrong...