Dis

The sprite practice thread.

aaaah thanks :3

I'll do that right away!!

user posted image :3

Yep, looking good.

Here are some other suggestions:

-Think of how the hind legs attach to the body, and now look at the furthest hind leg. How can highlights be underneath the top of the leg when it is covered?

-There is a pair of straight lines at the base of the tail/lower back. Try rounding it a bit.

-The curve of the furthest wing does not match the closest. You want the length of each wing arm "segment" to be similar.

user posted image

looks better???

I don't really dare touch the wing honestly xd.png I'm afraid that if I do that I'll sort of murder it completely :"]

user posted image

looks better???

I don't really dare touch the wing honestly xd.png I'm afraid that if I do that I'll sort of murder it completely :"]

Yes, but keep the highlights on the far leg's heel down. It's only the top 33% of the leg that should be dark.

okido thanks happy.gif

I now have the 2 shades there so if I make a part normal color it should be fine right? happy.gif

aaaah thanks :3

I'll do that right away!!

user posted image :3

Take the far hind leg in this one and just make it dark at the top and it should be fine.

x3

4 years after my first interest in spriting, when I should be working on a psychology paper, I try my very first one tongue.gif

~

Is this technically a sprite?

I kind of went free form... supposed to be 2 ball type things...

user posted image

x3

4 years after my first interest in spriting, when I should be working on a psychology paper, I try my very first one tongue.gif

~

Is this technically a sprite?

I kind of went free form... supposed to be 2 ball type things...

user posted image

When you sprite, you take a one-pixel solid brush and draw in each pixel.

Here I can see anti-aliasing around the edges of the spheres, which seems to indicate a brush with smoothing/feathering/aa-ing settings.

Of course if you did draw each individual pixel then yes it would be a sprite.

When you sprite, you take a one-pixel solid brush and draw in each pixel.

Here I can see anti-aliasing around the edges of the spheres, which seems to indicate a brush with smoothing/feathering/aa-ing settings.

Of course if you did draw each individual pixel then yes it would be a sprite.

blink.gif Anti-aliasing?

Each pixel was done individually with pencil ^^

~

Slightly larger

user posted image

I don't know if this makes it better, but you can probably see that I had no idea of what to do for shading as I went on o.0

Edited by DeathCry

blink.gif Anti-aliasing?

Each pixel was done individually with pencil ^^

~

Slightly larger

user posted image

I don't know if this makes it better, but you can probably see that I had no idea of what to do for shading as I went on o.0

Many people in Photoshop tend to use the 2-5 pixel brushes, which have this smoothing quality usually to try and skip most of the shading, but if you do it with the pixel brush/pencil then there is nothing wrong with it. ^^

Anti-aliasing has its uses in spriting (albeit sparsely), in this case your second set of sprites is better without it. As a general rule, you don't need to do that on the outlines. It may look good on a white background, but if you change the background colour it will look funny.

By looking back at your first sprites, did you resize them via transform tool or similar means? By doing this, the program adds in its own anti-aliasing, which technically stops it from being a sprite.

That smaller one in the second set is really pretty.

Edited by Ashywolf

Many people in Photoshop tend to use the 2-5 pixel brushes, which have this smoothing quality usually to try and skip most of the shading, but if you do it with the pixel brush/pencil then there is nothing wrong with it. ^^

Anti-aliasing has its uses in spriting (albeit sparsely), in this case your second set of sprites is better without it. As a general rule, you don't need to do that on the outlines. It may look good on a white background, but if you change the background colour it will look funny.

By looking back at your first sprites, did you resize them via transform tool or similar means? By doing this, the program adds in its own anti-aliasing, which technically stops it from being a sprite.

That smaller one in the second set is really pretty.

Ooh okay.

I started out with the scale seen with my first post. I only zoomed in all the way to work on it, so no resizing (until I uploaded it, that is, at 100x75). The second post is larger because I uploaded it resized at 1600x1200 on imageshack. I'm not sure which size I should be uploading it as ~

And thanks for that ^^

Edit: For the black outline, does that mean I should change it to the darkest blue that I used all the way around?

Edit2: The size of the larger circle, at its natural size is about 40x40

Edit3: The size of the full rectangle is about 170x125

Edit4: Is it fine asking helping for something as "simple" as this, or should I be posting work on a dragon? *deathly afraid of those things*

Edited by DeathCry

I tried my hand at spriting today for the very very very first time, and ummm well, I think the sprite is too small(is it?). How do I fix this?

user posted image

Its not completed yet, but some crits would be good :3 The legs have anatomy issues, but il fix them later xd.png

Edited by Silverlight138

I don't think it's small actually...

Think it could pass as a adult dragon on here..

may I ask how much pixels it is???

also... since I still fail at this:

user posted image

please do give critz, I'm trying my best to learn this properly but I'm kind of slow learning with stuff like this xd.png

Me thinks the front legs look a little glued on and the muscles are a little big.

I don't think it's small actually...

Think it could pass as a adult dragon on here..

may I ask how much pixels it is???

also... since I still fail at this:

user posted image

please do give critz, I'm trying my best to learn this properly but I'm kind of slow learning with stuff like this xd.png

Unmmmm I used 1. I'm not even sure if I'm answering the right thing coz in still rather new to spriting and all xd.png

@umbre really? Someone else told me it was too skinny xd.png

Unmmmm I used 1. I'm not even sure if I'm answering the right thing coz in still rather new to spriting and all xd.png

@umbre really? Someone else told me it was too skinny xd.png

I think UmbreWulf was referring to Saruwatari =3

~

Yours seems a pretty average size ^^

no the size darling tongue.gif

mine is 50 x 41 pixels happy.gif

which could go for a hatchling, adults are usually larger, my cherry for example is 75 x 77 pixels ^__^

@ umbre: thanks ^__^ I'll fix that :3

any critz on wing???

Ohh well, if its average sized then its fine then heheh xd.png

WELLL, Ive colored and shaded the sprite, with some help from Tiffashy with the sprite outline. The horns and legs were tweaked by her.

user posted image

here yer go, crits? :3

Definitely more contrast and a bigger pallet.

The wing shading looks a little bit off. Where is your light source?

At the top left hand corner. Soooo I need darker colors? And by contrast means making the shading more obvious? happy.gif

also what people always tell me is that the outlines shouldn't be black unless the dragon is really dark...

I believe that you have to take the darkest shade and tone it down a bit to make it even darker and that should be the outerlines :3

right umbrewolf??

OHH really? I didn't know that! xd.png

Hmmm so for example the darkest shade is uh, dark brown, so I make it even darker, then outline the entire dragon with the new darkened shade of brown?

EDIT: oh, I think I get what you mean, by analyzing the in-cave sprites. For example the body has a different brown then the wings. So for the outline for the wings, I darken the brown used for them, but for the body, I darken the specific brown used for it, right?

Edited by Silverlight138

yup :3 I always make 2 darker shades.. cause where the sun is shining at I use the lighter of the 2 and at the belly for example where is no sun I use the darker :3

Legs arn't working...

Found the picture I based it on, messed with one of the paws... How can I fix these feet?!

Refrence

user posted image

user posted image

I love it, but I need crits. I like the tail most! xd.png

@Shadow, the feet could use toe definition. Also, check the sprite thread, I needs your help. ^^