Dis

The sprite practice thread.

Whether I use it in a Dragon Request or not really depends on how it looks when I feel that it's done. I've got an idea that I might post there if I feel that it's good enough, but it's mostly just practice.

Once again, thank you so much for helping me! Your suggestions were extremely useful. biggrin.gif

I decided to color one of the practice sprites using one of the colors that always gives me a hard time.

user posted image

How does it look?

That sprite looks great! The only problem is the parts of solid red lines look strange, and the unshaded part. Amazing color though

Attempted shading my own dragon, the Squirrel Wyvern. Crit and Concrit, anyone?

user posted image

I think it's looking good so far. Giving it some darker shadows in some places could help give it more depth.

I decided to color one of the practice sprites using one of the colors that always gives me a hard time.

user posted image

How does it look?

The neck area is really gorgeous, but the rest seems pretty flat. Try more contrast between colors?

Attempted shading my own dragon, the Squirrel Wyvern. Crit and Concrit, anyone?

user posted image

A lot of places seem rather blobby or splotchy, the tail area especially, though it's also really noticeable on the neck and outer wing area. Try blending the colors better, rather than kind of randomly placing the colors.

The sprite is otherwise gorgeous, though!

>.< I've been working on the steampunk dragon since no one else was and since Umbreonage gave anyone permission to play with them... but the thread's so dead ppl probably think I'm just bumping it....

old --> new

user posted image --> user posted imageuser posted image

critics?

I made the thigh of the one on the right shiny because it matched the 2nd one... (I have no idea what the sketches looked like all the links are a bit broken...

How does it look now? I didn't really do much above the shoulder, but I'll probably go back and mess with that next.

user posted image--->user posted image

I think I may need to ad a bit more contrast between the darkest color and the second darkest color...

Are we allowed to post things that we haven't taken from donated sketches/incomplete sprites? If not, I'll remove this, I guess. Anyway, um, I've never touched spriting before, but decided to start out earlier today. Spent a few hours doing this, based on this quick sketch that I also did today.

user posted image

And then when I saved it, I forgot and accidentally saved it as a .jpg, so it lost any and all quality it might've had.

Anyway, can someone give me some pointers? Concrits, tips, advice, etc...? I'd really like to start practicing so I might be able to sprite my own concepts someday.

EDIT:

I was really ticked about accidentally saving that last thing as the wrong file type, so I decided to work on something else. I picked Gradient's sketch to work on, and here's what I ended up with:

Lines: user posted image Flat colors: user posted image Final: user posted image

Biggest complaint I have with my own work is that I tried resizing it AFTER I "finished." Apparently, Paint disagrees with that method and ate some of the lines. >.<

I admittedly could've worked a lot longer on the shading, and I've never been any good at highlighting, but for my second attempt at spriting...I'm not too upset with it, I guess.

Again, I would really love some crit and pointers.

Edited by OnABadBet

I was doing experiments with colors and shading, and came up with this!

user posted image

I'm quite proud of it, but let me know what you all think :3

@OnABadBet:

Those lines are very nice~

Edited by Elena

Are we allowed to post things that we haven't taken from donated sketches/incomplete sprites? If not, I'll remove this, I guess. Anyway, um, I've never touched spriting before, but decided to start out earlier today. Spent a few hours doing this, based on this quick sketch that I also did today.

user posted image

And then when I saved it, I forgot and accidentally saved it as a .jpg, so it lost any and all quality it might've had.

Anyway, can someone give me some pointers? Concrits, tips, advice, etc...? I'd really like to start practicing so I might be able to sprite my own concepts someday.

EDIT:

I was really ticked about accidentally saving that last thing as the wrong file type, so I decided to work on something else. I picked Gradient's sketch to work on, and here's what I ended up with:

Lines: user posted image Flat colors: user posted image Final: user posted image

Biggest complaint I have with my own work is that I tried resizing it AFTER I "finished." Apparently, Paint disagrees with that method and ate some of the lines. >.<

I admittedly could've worked a lot longer on the shading, and I've never been any good at highlighting, but for my second attempt at spriting...I'm not too upset with it, I guess.

Again, I would really love some crit and pointers.

The one that your working on:

It's too big, only by a few pixels though (needs to be 100X100)

It needs more contrast with the shading

The muscles need more definiton(Spelling Fail...)

They're the biggest things I can see, There are probrably more things.

The one that your working on:

It's too big, only by a few pixels though (needs to be 100X100)

It needs more contrast with the shading

The muscles need more definiton(Spelling Fail...)

They're the biggest things I can see, There are probrably more things.

Yeah, I caught all that...hence the talk of resizing. I gave up resizing it when I realized it was literally cannibalizes the entire image. And like I said, I completely gave up on the shading, which I also mentioned.

Thanks for the advice. biggrin.gif

Well...I spent a bit more time working on my spritelines and getting critique from my mom. I started to shade it, but it looks really bad. I'm not great with shading or muscles, although I did spend some time looking at pictures of horses and watching the horses that my sister works with trot around.

user posted image

If there are still anatomy issues, feel free to comment on that. I know that the shading is awful, but I'm not sure what I should do about it...is it too dark, is there too much, or is it in the wrong places?

EDIT: It's not completely shaded because I figured that if I could get help in the areas that are currently shaded, I might be able to apply the same rules to the rest of it.

Edited by Snow Plow

So, I decided to stop being lazy and completely reshade/color/thing those lines I did based on Gradient's sketch.

Here were the lines I had originally:

user posted image

Then I did flats, then I did some really, really abysmal shading, which was further ruined by my trying to resize it:

user posted imageuser posted image

And here's what I just finished, which I'm actually pretty pleased with, considering it's only my third attempt at spriting anything:

user posted image

Of course, the image is 119 x 119, which is far too big, but I couldn't resize it without ruining it or redoing the lines entirely.

So, yeah. Concrit, tips, etc? Please? smile.gif

So, I decided to stop being lazy and completely reshade/color/thing those lines I did based on Gradient's sketch.

Here were the lines I had originally:

user posted image

Then I did flats, then I did some really, really abysmal shading, which was further ruined by my trying to resize it:

user posted imageuser posted image

And here's what I just finished, which I'm actually pretty pleased with, considering it's only my third attempt at spriting anything:

user posted image

Of course, the image is 119 x 119, which is far too big, but I couldn't resize it without ruining it or redoing the lines entirely.

So, yeah. Concrit, tips, etc? Please? smile.gif

I love the area around the wings, It's really well shaded!

It's just the neck and legs If you need help to find the muscles you cna use this: Anatomy Muscles

Thanks for the tips and the links. xd.png Retouched it again.

Old ---> New:

user posted image ---> user posted image

Thoughts, comments, critiques, advice? biggrin.gif

Thanks for the tips and the links. xd.png Retouched it again.

Old ---> New:

user posted image ---> user posted image

Thoughts, comments, critiques, advice? biggrin.gif

Wow, good job on this. One thing about the lines: the one for the top of the head is really flat, as if the dragon just smashed it into something. It'd look better if you curved it down towards the snout gradually. Also, the lines are kinda getting thick near the tip of the wing closest to us, you want to reduce it to one pixel thick.

And for the shading, that's looking really nice! I'm not good at shading, but perhaps you want to lighten it up on some of the darker lines outlining the muscles. The muscles look a wee bit too defined xP

Thank you very much for the tips! Worked it yet again (I'm glad I'm getting some practice under my belt, to be honest, and this is helping me learn some patience).

How does this look? smile.gif

Old: user posted image

New: user posted image

EDIT: Ack, I accidentally uploaded the wrong one. Replaced with the corrected wing.

Edited by OnABadBet

I decided to try some spriting, and wanted to just start from scratch. I ended up with this:

user posted image

http://i41.tinypic.com/bljyw.png

I can quite grasp the shading on the body and had a lot of difficulty with the lower part of the body... It also just doesn't look right. Could someone help and point out the things that are bad please? Its my first time spriting sooo its quite rubbish...

Okay, I realize this thread is generally related to the sketches in the first post but I couldn't find a better place.

Drew this about a minute ago and am really looking for advice (anatomy wise):

user posted image

There are some things I know are wrong (didn't have much time to edit it) so it will be interesting to see if anyone else picks up on it.

EDIT: Oh gosh Sock is watching me blink.gif *vanishes*

Edited by Ashywolf

user posted image

I did this 103% on my own. How U liek? Can U recognize this lovely YGO character? (His name means "dark" in Japanese.)

I decided to try some spriting, and wanted to just start from scratch. I ended up with this:

user posted image

http://i41.tinypic.com/bljyw.png

I can quite grasp the shading on the body and had a lot of difficulty with the lower part of the body... It also just doesn't look right. Could someone help and point out the things that are bad please? Its my first time spriting sooo its quite rubbish...

Pretty good for a first-time sprite, and you made this from scratch? Awesome. Though, the lines need smoothing, especially on the far wing and tail. And where is your light source? I see highlights at the top of the neck, the inside of the wing, the edge of the outer wing, and the undertail and knees [which are anatomically incorrect, btw; poor thing doesn't have any thighs D: the actual knee [kneecap] should come down and a bit to the left more. I had a dragon anatomy picture but i can't find it D:], it's best if you pick one and stick with it. The wing-arm either has two elbows or doesn't have any, and the arm as a whole is rather thin for a dragon of that size and mass. For the membrane, try adding wing folds, makes it more realistic. For the coloring as a whole, be sure not to have many duplicate colors, and you should probably add some more contrast.

Okay, I realize this thread is generally related to the sketches in the first post but I couldn't find a better place.

Drew this about a minute ago and am really looking for advice (anatomy wise):

user posted image

There are some things I know are wrong (didn't have much time to edit it) so it will be interesting to see if anyone else picks up on it.

EDIT: Oh gosh Sock is watching me  :blink: *vanishes*

Transparent/Translucent wings, cool [though one seems to be missing or incomplete]. The tail [through the wing] has some small kinks [see between the first and second wing-finger, where the vertical 2px line meets the horizontal 2px line, for one], and the tail as a whole needs some refining. The head looks like it's in a rather painful position; a more natural pose would be to have it face more towards the screen. Antlers look like they're right next to eachother and not on either side of the head, i'd think the near one would be a bit lower. The hind legs look a bit odd, mostly the near one. Not too sure what to do about that though. Probably some other things, but i'll leave it at this for now.

user posted image

I did this 103% on my own. How U liek? Can U recognize this lovely YGO character? (His name means "dark" in Japanese.)

The shading makes it look flat, and the tail kindof looks like it's been run over by a car o_0 judging by its body type i'd suggest thinning and smoothing it [the tail]. Overall outlines need to be darker, and it needs more contrast in general. It doesn't appear to have a chest, either. I can't really figure out what's going on with the head? (And it looks like it stole Yugi's millennium puzzle) It's hard to make out the face, too. Should probably add more definition everywhere.

Yay my turn now :L all I have is this WIP thing for the Plasma dragon in DR, though if it isn't chosen then I could use it for something else or abandon it. Only flatcolored, since I just made it.

user posted image

101x66

Yay my turn now :L all I have is this WIP thing for the Plasma dragon in DR, though if it isn't chosen then I could use it for something else or abandon it. Only flatcolored, since I just made it.

user posted image

101x66

Do I see a Sock Dragon's tail there tongue.gif?

Anyway, appreciate advice, though most of it I have already covered. Yeah the back wing isn't drawn in yet.

ha

Shading. My screen happens to show increased contrast/saturation so while this looks ok to me it might look like a colorful blob to others :L

user posted image

EDIT: as I post this I catch a plasma vein w/o any shine D: figures.

Edited by Whitefire