Dis

The sprite practice thread.

about the near paw, white suggested to have it face towards us thus I changed the angle to make it face us xd.png

as for the head... the male looks like this:

user posted image

so I guess it wouldn't hurt to make the head longer

The highlights on the knees look a little sharp to me. The tail also looks kind of flat. I think you should use a darker purple to outline with. :3

Thanks for the crits, I'll work on it a bit :3

More of a practice thing than anything Cx

The highlights on the knees look a little sharp to me. The tail also looks kind of flat. I think you should use a darker purple to outline with. :3

that's for me I guess??? tongue.gif

If so thanks happy.gif

The lines need to be smoothed because you have "stairsteps" where each of your lines meet which need to be cleaned.

Lines should not connect to eachother. It should be like this: ----___ with no overlap.

user posted image

Oh! Okay! Thanks... I though it meant straighten the lines... Here is my updated sprite lines. Any other crits?

user posted image

how did i not find this thread sooner D= im so going to practice here goodness knows i need it xd.png now to pic out a sketch from the first page and try and see how well i do =3

Oh! Okay! Thanks... I though it meant straighten the lines... Here is my updated sprite lines. Any other crits?

user posted image

The feet need more structure, like toes. The front legs also need to be longer. They should connect a bit below where the wings begin. The back legs look kinda weak and are kind of lumpy, so those need smoothing out. Tail's too thin at the base. I also think it needs more of a neck instead of shooting chin to chest. That help at all? :3

Oh! Okay!  Thanks... I though it meant straighten the lines... Here is my updated sprite lines. Any other crits?

user posted image

Overall leg anatomy is probably the biggest thing at the moment. It has no heel in either of the back legs. The knee is pretty much absent.

Try using this as a reference:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...x-Timba%2B1.jpg

user posted image

Edited by Ashywolf

alright heres my attempt at a spriteline user posted image spritelined from http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k13/Koor.../untamed_-1.jpg from the first post

I know it needs work i just cant for the life of my figure out where or if i know where how to fix it D= the wings and legs specifically i know are bad. anything you guys can tell me will help =D

edit: realized i saved it as an jpeg.... fixed it and now it doesnt look blurry ^^;

Edited by dragonsroc989

aren't his/her arms a bit..... skinny?? xd.png

also cause I made this at 6 am (yes it's 6 am xd.png)

user posted image

lines in the wing are still black I know, but I kept those black in the male sprite also cause the darkest shade somewhat comes near black tongue.gif

aren't his/her arms a bit..... skinny?? xd.png

also cause I made this at 6 am (yes it's 6 am xd.png)

user posted image

lines in the wing are still black I know, but I kept those black in the male sprite also cause the darkest shade somewhat comes near black tongue.gif

This is much better. The back legs need to be a bit further forward. I would also make the belly a little larger to match the chest. One or two pixels should do it.

Thanks happy.gif

user posted image

I gave 1 extra pixel to the far leg and a pixel row to the chest :3

Also...

yes/no on the shades and highlights?? :3

*claps hands deliriously* I'm so happy to find this thread!

I've just done the lines and colors so far, no real shading.

user posted image

It needs some work and color smoothing.. but I'm just not sure where to go with it. =\

Original art

Update:

user posted image

Edited by Valkiepoo

welll the picture had skinny arms and i didnt draw it o.o was just using one of the available pics on the first page to practice on.

ill work on making the arms a bit wider though thanks.

Thanks happy.gif

user posted image

I gave 1 extra pixel to the far leg and a pixel row to the chest :3

Also...

yes/no on the shades and highlights?? :3

No, don't add a pixel row to the chest. You need to smooth out that dip between the chest and the lower part of the body.

Shading is ok. The highlights on the knee should be more to the left though. You could probably do with some more dark shades.

With the tail you need a median colour to break that sharp contrast between the light pink and the dark.

user posted image

I has crits for this?

It's meant to be wolfish, no matter how much it's a dragon xd.png

No, don't add a pixel row to the chest. You need to smooth out that dip between the chest and the lower part of the body.

Shading is ok. The highlights on the knee should be more to the left though. You could probably do with some more dark shades.

With the tail you need a median colour to break that sharp contrast between the light pink and the dark.

aaah okay thanks I'll take out a pixel row of the chest so it will not be so sticking out :3

user posted image > user posted image

Edited by Saruwatari

user posted image

I has crits for this?

It's meant to be wolfish, no matter how much it's a dragon xd.png

Front legs seem awfully straight and rigid to me.

Yes.... not too sure how to fix them... The... dragon.... thing... is facing forward, I've done a bit of playing with them, trying to sort out the feet...

user posted image

How to fix those legs...

maybe the legs look a bit awkward cause they are 1 straight line???

there's no telling for example where the paw starts so it looks as if it's standing on it's toes then happy.gif

May I suggest an image search? If you google "running wolf" you get quite a few photos showing wolves running towards the viewer which should help you get an idea of how to angle the legs differently.

Another image search I´d suggest is wings, the grouping of the feathers and the overall shape of the wings could use some work.

Edited by Munin

^^ Thank you for the help you two, I'll post progress soon biggrin.gif

user posted image

trying to get the shades and highlights right...

not really sure how to proceed from here tho >.<

user posted image

trying to get the shades and highlights right...

not really sure how to proceed from here tho >.<

Firstly you need to reverse the wing shading. In your sprite the highlights are underneath the wing fingers and the shades are above. The direction of your light source would suggest otherwise.

Light

____________Wing finger

Dark

aaaah thanks :3

I'll do that right away!!

user posted image :3

Edited by Saruwatari