Dis

The sprite practice thread.

said wips is the Xylo dragon, with razor sharp scales covering most of their bodies and where there isnt, theres thick, tough skin. They have strong arms to capture prey [before curling around them, ripping off their flesh but keeping them alive] and help guide/pull themselves around trees [ripping off the bark, which they eat]

omnivorous, aggressive, etc.

the bumps on the arms are my attempts at thumbs |D i fixed up the hatchie and was working on an S1 when i had to go to bed :L the lines i posted here i didn't really look over for flaws/errors so theres a bunch of stuff i dont like ): hope i can get on the comp today and fix them.

btw, any comments on colors? since they're incredibly hard to kill they wouldn't really /need/ to hide... i made them brown because when i first sketched it i immediately thought 'DING, brown dragon'

---

Poked some line issues and shaded them; http://whitefire321.deviantart.com/art/Xyl...t-WIP-273619559

Oh and made a scratch S1 and threw an egg at them.

user posted image

How does she look?

Decided not to go with the Furryness xd.png

user posted image

Done some shaidng on him...

Crits please biggrin.gif

Bananas.

http://whitefire321.deviantart.com/art/Ban...y-Set-289430144

---

Nice, though she could use folds/creases/ripples in her wings and some more shades on the inner side, and some more muscle definition overall [and maybe add more of a knee o3o?]. The near foreleg is quite thick also. Not sure what is going on with the head and face... The far wing looks like it could be brought forward [to the right] a bit more... only a few pixels i'd think.

The male seems to be stepping/sitting on his tail... i'd put the foot behind the tail rather than in front of. Male has a bit of hangbutt also.

Pretty nice sprites otherwise~

I figured there was probably a reason for the large arms. xd.png

As for the thumbs, maybe move them up a bit? Right now they look oddly placed and I wasn't quite sure if they were intentional or not.

I love the colors, their scales look exactly like bark, you did a lovely job on that. Their description almost reminds me of a snake so it would be awesome to see one of these guys curled around a tree, almost invisible, and then just as their prey go waltzing by, completely unaware of their presence, they attack.

And an idea for the egg, maybe you should try that bark texture on that as well. You did such an amazing job on the scales, I would love to see that on an egg.

Oh, and that Banana Pygmy is adorable! <3

One small thing though. The tail seems to bend a little too sharp near the base. Almost looks painful. Might look a little better if you smooth out the bend and thin it out on the top.

user posted image

Fixed his hangbut, and he's flying!

Now to poke the female...

*pokes*

Is that supposed to be an egg for DC?

If so, it doesn't match the shape of the rest of the eggs. When making a DC Egg, it is best to take an existing egg (like the White or Silver) and just re-color it.

Oh and Whitefire, they are both much better! smile.gif

Edited by tikigurl91

Yay~~

... maybe i should work on some things i have actually posted in DR for...

... nah.....

Thanks Whitefire and Tikigurl91! ^^

@Nicoleong9:

Not they are looking better! Although I am still seeing a few straight and jagged lines on both of the sprites, particularly on the back of the neck of the second sprite. It seems like the sprite should have more of a flow to (more curves) it since it is a water... creature.

Thank you for pointing that out, I tried to improve on the first sprite, but I'm having trouble distinguishing which lines are OK and which are too straight, plus, I can't seem to get the lines to look naturally curved, they just seem like multiple straight lines >< Any tips?

user posted image --> user posted image

Honestly I gave up halfway, so there are still some lines in there that I would like to tweak, after I figure out how to sprite curved lines ><

There's not much change, I only touched the extra limb, and the tail in light blue. There's also a double/triple pixel at the tip of the tail that I haven't gotten rid of ...

Edited by Nicoleong9

Since these are sketches in the first post that are open to everyone and I am horrible at explaining myself, I decided to sprite them myself real quick just to show you what I mean by curves.

user posted image

See how I gave them more of a chest and shoulders. I extended the fins and defined the head more.

Also, don't be afraid to improve the sketch and add your own flair to it. If it looks better to you, that's all that matters.

I am by no means an expert and am still learning myself so my sprite is far from perfect. And this was pretty rushed so it may be a bit sloppy.

You can use my sprite as a guide though to help you figure out curves and help defining certain areas.

Edited by tikigurl91

Oh... I think I get what you mean now... My bad. Thanks so much for explaining and the sprite, I'll definitely use it as a guide ^^

Aww, cute!

For shading, my only thing is that the shading is mostly just basic. You need a bit of a variety, from shadows to shades to highlights. If you check out in cave dragons, you'll see a lot of the colors mixed in and blending with each other, rather than straight lines where they're separated and one color ends and the next begins.

http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=225

It is very good overall and I am impressed. <3

Okay, thanks for the tip off there. <^-^>

And now I'm working on on a real concept... The chest/muscles/details are being difficult. Any tips for a newbie? xd.png

Started With/Attempt 1/Attempt 2

user posted image/user posted image/user posted image

Edited by AlternateMew

Sooo, I figured I should probably practice shading some more since I suck at it and decided to shade that little water creature. I know the lines are still a bit wonky, I don't really care about that, I'm more focused on the shading.

I started out like this: user posted image

And realized it looked horrible. So after studying a few guides and in cave sprites, I came up with this: user posted image

It's obviously not finished but I would love some comments. Am I going in the right direction? I'm pretty happy with it so far. It's one of my best shading attempts.

I realized my biggest problem was finding the right pallet. I'm horrible with colors and figuring out hues and highlights so I borrowed a pallet from a random sprite I found online, which is probably why it looks much better now... >.<

Another big issue I have with shading is the body. I have no problem shading arms, and few problems with the head, but when it comes to the body, I have no idea what I am doing...

Sooo, I figured I should probably practice shading some more since I suck at it and decided to shade that little water creature. I know the lines are still a bit wonky, I don't really care about that, I'm more focused on the shading.

I started out like this: user posted image

And realized it looked horrible. So after studying a few guides and in cave sprites, I came up with this: user posted image

It's obviously not finished but I would love some comments. Am I going in the right direction? I'm pretty happy with it so far. It's one of my best shading attempts.

I realized my biggest problem was finding the right pallet. I'm horrible with colors and figuring out hues and highlights so I borrowed a pallet from a random sprite I found online, which is probably why it looks much better now... >.<

Another big issue I have with shading is the body. I have no problem shading arms, and few problems with the head, but when it comes to the body, I have no idea what I am doing...

Wow, great minds think alike? I just started shading my sprite last night to get 'the feel of it', even though I know my spritelines still need improvement. Maybe I'll post it here later, but it's gonna look really bad compared to yours ><

I'm gonna try the one from Dracchan and the one from Gradient. I hope I do good! Then I might try some other dragons I made myself, but I'm not sure... I'm just going to keep editing this post with my progress.

I've decided to post this here to try and get crits so I can improve, even though there's probably a thousand things I need to improve on >< At first I chose really dull colors, and it was kinda difficult to look at, so I increased the saturation. So:

Before --> After

(On second thought, maybe I upped the saturation too much, or is it just my screen?)

It looks horrible, I know >< But I had no idea what I was doing, and it just turned out looking kinda weird and plastic-y? (When I first saw it the next day, I thought it was supposed to be made out of Plasticine ><) Oh, and ignore the blue parts, pretend I didn't even attempt to shade them... After a while I kinda forgot about the light source, so the shading is probably un-even. unsure.gif

I've decided to post this here to try and get crits so I can improve, even though there's probably a thousand things I need to improve on >< At first I chose really dull colors, and it was kinda difficult to look at, so I increased the saturation. So:

Before --> After

(On second thought, maybe I upped the saturation too much, or is it just my screen?)

It looks horrible, I know >< But I had no idea what I was doing, and it just turned out looking kinda weird and plastic-y? (When I first saw it the next day, I thought it was supposed to be made out of Plasticine ><) Oh, and ignore the blue parts, pretend I didn't even attempt to shade them... After a while I kinda forgot about the light source, so the shading is probably un-even. unsure.gif

Did you use a brush tool?Because it's not pixel art if it's not pixels (Not trying to be rude)

Did you use a brush tool?Because it's not pixel art if it's not pixels (Not trying to be rude)

ohmy.gif Aaah, with my noob-ness and half-asleepness I totally forgot that it had to be done using the pencil tool instead >< Thanks for pointing that out ^^ Guess I'm back to square one again ><

^^ No your not, you just need to do shading again biggrin.gif

*BTW, It's harder if your dragon has legs or wings xd.png*

user posted image Still need to edit her

user posted image Shading needs to be finished

What do you think?

Thoughts on my new dragon?

user posted image

Where's teh light source coming from???