Dis

The sprite practice thread.

Give them a slightly darker shade as they get further from the light source

I am starting to get into spriting, and I just completed one I really like. Is it okay if I put it down here and get some critique? I don't mind at all if you tell me "It's not very good" because I am not very good at this yet, but I want to know what I should change to I can make a better sprite. Here it goes:

user posted image

It's supposed to be Neku Sakuraba. I tried to keep a definite shading angel (top left corner) and I avoided using black outlines. Now I would appreciate knowing if I should shade it darker near the edge of the sprite away from the light source? did I even do it correctly? What can I improve so I can make it better? etc.

Just gimme what you got. Also as reference, here is what Neku normally looks like: Neku~ ^^

neku <3

I would give him a little more waist tongue.gif

he's unnatural thin :3

I am starting to get into spriting, and I just completed one I really like.  Is it okay if I put it down here and get some critique?  I don't mind at all if you tell me "It's not very good" because I am not very good at this yet, but I want to know what I should change to I can make a better sprite.  Here it goes:

user posted image 

It's supposed to be Neku Sakuraba. I tried to keep a definite shading angel (top left corner) and I avoided using black outlines. Now I would appreciate knowing if I should shade it darker near the edge of the sprite away from the light source?  did I even do it correctly?  What can I improve so I can make it better?  etc.

Just gimme what you got.  Also as reference, here is what Neku normally looks like: Neku~ ^^

Ok, here are my thoughts:

-Pose is very awkward. He seems to be falling backwards. Move the legs back one or two pixels.

-Try and avoid too many straight lines. The arms and legs would benefit from some...curviness.

-Careful with your markings. The yellow stripes on the right shoe suggest there is one on each side, yet the left shoe suggests both stripes are on one side (making it seem like he has four stripes in total). Try and imagine how a real life shoe would be.

Edited by Ashywolf

Ok, here are my thoughts:

-Pose is very awkward. He seems to be falling backwards. Move the legs back one or two pixels.

-Try and avoid too many straight lines. The arms and legs would benefit from some...curviness.

-Careful with your markings. The yellow stripes on the right shoe suggest there is one on each side, yet the left shoe suggests both stripes are on one side (making it seem like he has four stripes in total). Try and imagine how a real life shoe would be.

Shoes! Always a weakness of mine. But thanks a lot for your critique. It makes a lot of sense so it will be very helpful, for both this sprite and future ones.

I would give him a little more waist 

he's unnatural thin :3

B-but he's unnaturally thin in every other picture too, no?

Shoes!  Always a weakness of mine.  But thanks a lot for your critique.  It makes a lot of sense so it will be very helpful, for both this sprite and future ones.

I'm not familiar with the character, so I can't comment on this. If this is a physique of his, then it would be perfectly acceptable.

Edited by Ashywolf

Okk, so other than that silly egg i posted before, this is my first *real* sprite.

user posted image

I would prefer some crits via PM 'coz i don't come here often, but i guess it's ok ;P

A user shared these pixel shading palettes with me, which I think some people may be interested in if you're trying to figure out how different colors should be for shading or such. ^^

These are quite useful, though he needs some contrast between most of his shades :3.

Hello, back with another sprite :X

user posted image

I need suggestions for the horn color if possible, because I don't really think white suits.. maybe …

and I need crits on the shading, coz I always cant spot errors in my own artwork. And the wings, I swear I had no idea how to shade it >< ive always been avoiding shading dragons with wings, but ive given it a try this time.

Edited by Silverlight138

There's a black line on the underside of the back of the front wing.....waitwut.

Also, it appears that the wing connects to the tail area but the far wing seems to connect to the hip of the dragon. The close front leg looks a bit like a hind leg to me. (Not sure about these ones, super bad with anatomy.)

The horn looks good to me; a bit more shading contrast would be good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got something too, my Grapevine dragon here. Sketch by Nectaris, spritework by yours truly. user posted image

Silverlight i think the top of where the tail begins is a bit oo thick near the top

Shoes! Always a weakness of mine. But thanks a lot for your critique. It makes a lot of sense so it will be very helpful, for both this sprite and future ones.

in the games he sure is thin that's for sure,

however that is also the main thing bugging me about it...

he doesn't need much just a pixel or 2 smile.gif

There's a black line on the underside of the back of the front wing.....waitwut.

Also, it appears that the wing connects to the tail area but the far wing seems to connect to the hip of the dragon. The close front leg looks a bit like a hind leg to me. (Not sure about these ones, super bad with anatomy.)

The horn looks good to me; a bit more shading contrast would be good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got something too, my Grapevine dragon here. Sketch by Nectaris, spritework by yours truly. user posted image

That is a BEAUTIFUL sprite! <3 I love it. The colors are just so pretty <3

@kittygrl ahhh yes, alright il fix that happy.gif

Edited by Silverlight138

too much straight lines on the far front paw/leg tongue.gif

Edited by Saruwatari

Well can I have ideas to make it less straight? People have been saying it's too straight, but no one has given any solutions!

Well, it's a walking pose, so why not put the left foreleg in a position similar to the right hindleg to balance it? Every action needs a reaction.

It's running xd.png

Well, it was meant to be in that position already xd.png

I think I should shorten it a bit to make it look more... bent...

Need crits on this:

user posted image

Are the wings too small? And are there too many colors involved? ><

Edited by Silverlight138

colors are okay smile.gif

I'm not sure about the wings, looks to me as if it needs a bit more but since I'm not experienced myself I don't dare to say for sure >3

Alright thanks for the crits, il extend the red part of the Wing further down so that it doesn't have hangbutt happy.gif

personally i would bring the neck more forward, like a tad more under the chin but my main issue besides the wings silverlight is that the tail seems to be a bit awkward,

i would suggest either it go down more and then curve around the legs or just curl it back like the way the black dragon has it.