Dis

The sprite practice thread.

Maybe a bit more contrast and a more obvious difference between branch and creature. Little bit darker of an outline on both.

@leavesofatree I absolutely LOVE the tail! very nice and wavy texture! <3

look, an egg --> user posted image

Btw, i didn't use the DC egg template.

xd.png crits? and ummm, can I have some advice as to how I should go about getting the different shades of colors? coz I am randomly applying them onto the sprite. *shrug*

Edited by Silverlight138

@leavesofatree I absolutely LOVE the tail! very nice and wavy texture! <3

look, an egg --> user posted image

Btw, i didn't use the DC egg template.

xd.png crits? and ummm, can I have some advice as to how I should go about getting the different shades of colors? coz I am randomly applying them onto the sprite. *shrug*

I think one of the first things is to have a definite source of light.

Also, the black outline that you used is usually changed to the darkest color of your sprite (from what I've seen anyway). It looks like the source of light is coming from the bottom of your egg, right now.

*Where are the professionals? happy.gif*

I believe so, but that's based on sprites I've seen around the cave

Like this ~> user posted image or user posted image where the outlying pixels are not as dark, even when used dark colors for the sprite.

is this better? user posted image like, I don't even know if theres a difference xd.pngD

EDIT: hows this? user posted image --> shaded it user posted image

Edited by Silverlight138

@Shadow, the feet could use toe definition. Also, check the sprite thread, I needs your help. ^^

Yeah, going to work on those after I've got the legs right...

is this better? user posted image like, I don't even know if theres a difference xd.pngD

EDIT: hows this? user posted image --> shaded it user posted image

Well, your biggest problem as of now is pillow-shading.

In other words, you need a recognizable light source. Top-left is common.

user posted image

I love it, but I need crits. I like the tail most! xd.png

@Shadow, the feet could use toe definition. Also, check the sprite thread, I needs your help. ^^

Straight back is straight. Try and round it a bit more.

Love it.

Edited by Ashywolf

Are you... Supposed to see the shadows/highlights when you put the pic in paint then zoom to 100? (The middle number)

I can't make out any split between the wing shoulder and the foreleg shoulder.

Wow, nice sprite! As Pie said, the division could be a little clearer. If you want any other crits, back thigh looks kinda lumpy and the wing arm could be thicker.

Now gonna seek crits for this concept I'm working on. Mainly I'm worrying about male shading and if the male and female's front wings match.

male - female

user posted image - user posted image

Well I don't know much about sprinting but it looks weird how the female's front wings point straight up and the back wings point straight down.

Nice, very nice. I like the blue-purple color combo. Hmm the female's wings/fin thing needs to be bigger though, coz it currently doesn't match the male's, which wings look rather big and "flappy". Perhaps you could make it such that the top of the wings of the female sort of flop down. eh, am I making sense? xd.png

EDIT: *points to post above* Ninja'd

Edited by Silverlight138

Thanks guys! I guess my suspicions were confirmed, I'll change the female's wings later.

tigerra, I guess it looks weird but the back wings also function as back legs. I can excuse the wide range of movement as ball-and-socket joints in the hips or something, hopefully.

Lightened the shading of the body so that the dark and light shades go together smoothly. though I still don't know how to fix the pillow shading.

user posted imageuser posted image

That looks nice. Is the light source directly in front of it? I think it'd be better for the light source to be somewhat above it, and take out some of the darkest shades on the top of the back as well as the top of the tail fin.

Fixed female's wing - does it match better?

same male - fixed female

That looks nice. Is the light source directly in front of it? I think it'd be better for the light source to be somewhat above it, and take out some of the darkest shades on the top of the back as well as the top of the tail fin.

Fixed female's wing - does it match better?

same male - fixed female

Here's my two cents. The female's back wings should be at a midpoint, as if helping the body glide, as well as steer, while the top wings stay the same position as if flapping. The female's body seems very short in comparison to the males. If the torso were elongated (The tail would need to be moved to fit restrictions), then the front wings' membrane could be lengthened to resemble the male's more closely. Beautiful sprites as always, Shaydra ^^

She's not flying though. She's 'hopping' - these move around on ground by walking with their front legs and hopping with the back wings, I believe. That's not really clear though, so I'll either make her be flying or make the front legs look like they're walking. Second is easier since drawing wings 'at midpoint' is hard. :C

As for body length, they're actually about the same length, her body's just more curved up and that's hidden by the wings. I'll poke that, probably mess with the wing membrane. I've already changed the tail once to fit the bigger wings.

Thanks so much for the crits though, Pie <3 Also on all of my concepts, the male ends up good while I have to butcher the female repeatedly Dx

Well I must say, I really LOVE those crown-looking things you put on their heads. If this dragon makes it in-cave, il hoard them forever xd.png

The bottom half is too shiny and I don't this really know how to fix it... user posted image

Edited by Silverlight138

can i get some critique on this?

i tried to make a dragon thats formed out of this stuf

user posted image

something about it just doesnt look right. thoughts?

its for my adoptable site

post-25-1337521430.png

Edited by Steamrider

can i get some critique on this?

i tried to make a dragon thats formed out of this stuf

user posted image

something about it just doesnt look right. thoughts?

its for my adoptable site

Neck is too thin and Head is too big.

^^

Ahh well, you could have said xd.png

Shading... All of the different sides loko flat, I know what you where trying, but it would help it there was at least two shades per side