Dis

The sprite practice thread.

ha

Shading. My screen happens to show increased contrast/saturation so while this looks ok to me it might look like a colorful blob to others :L

user posted image

EDIT: as I post this I catch a plasma vein w/o any shine D: figures.

Back seems too flat to me. And as a general rule the legs seem a little short (okay for a Gecko but looks odd on a dragon :/).

Crits? This is a hatchie btw. If you want use it PM me or if you want to edit it PM me.

user posted image

Try using a darker red for the outline instead of black ;D

It could do with a bit more of a muzzle

It also look a bit chuby

All lines should be 1 pixel thick

It could do with some legs on the other side of it, but it looks ok as it is *just a suggestion*

Shading could do with more contrast

Other then that, shading is good and it's a good first go ;D

Edited by Shadowwolf6

I'll poke the back later. I really don't feel like making the legs longer, because then it would look 'odd', IMO.

user posted image

is it eye-burning yet?

Hey Guys

Im kinda stuck

user posted image what Should I do next or fix?

I would suggest more contrast, definition, and texture; it took me a bit to find the head and the tail looks quite flat. It is cute, though~

poked the male about his back problem, he decided to visit the chiropractor

user posted image

EDIT: new page. added quote to who i was directing my comments to :L

Edited by Whitefire

@white: i havent shaded it yet maybe thats why its flat and as the contrast I pulled the colors from the adult

My thread hasn't got a lot of notice, so I'm bringing it here.

Comments?

user posted image

user posted image

I find the heads a bit small for their bodys, it might just be me but...

The female's head looks longer and narrower than the male's, i'd think it should also be looking more 'up' in that pose. Wings could use some more texture/folds.

Does this look better? (Bigger head on right)

user posted imageuser posted image

I'm paranoid about the legs being too pillowy, but...?

And also, which of these eggs is the best?

user posted image

Edited by Ashywolf

Does this look better? (Bigger head on right)

I'm paranoid about the legs being too pillowy, but...?

And also, which of these eggs is the best?

user posted image

Dragon lying on its back: I'm not sure about the tail. It is quite tapered, so I'm not sure how well the petal things would sit on the dragon. The texture on the legs seems a bit like plastic and it looks glossy and a bit funny because of the contrast. The joining of the wings to the body seems a bit abrupt.

The other dragon: The parallel position of the forelimbs looks funny and I'm not sure that it's a very natural position. If I hold both my hands out and am moving my torso to one side, one of my forelimbs would be dipped up or down.

The eggs are incredibly gorgeous. I am unable to distinguish the eggs from each other by sight. They all look the same from my monitor.

Edited by DarkEternity

user posted image

Halp? I know he's simple (an not a dragon), but he's my first true attempt at a sprite all my own. I put him aside for a while, but I'd like to start practicing again.

Does he look finished, or are there shading/anatomy problems? I can back up to any step. Any little fix needed appreciated. I would rather be told rather than shown, however, so I can get the practice.

Dragon lying on its back: I'm not sure about the tail.  It is quite tapered, so I'm not sure how well the petal things would sit on the dragon. The texture on the legs seems a bit like plastic and it looks glossy and a bit funny because of the contrast. The joining of the wings to the body seems a bit abrupt.

The eggs are incredibly gorgeous. I am unable to distinguish the eggs from each other by sight.  They all look the same from my monitor.

Woot, comments. Thank you ^^.

They are both supposed to be in midair if you hadn't gathered this already. I will see what I can do with your words of wisdom.

EDIT: Better? Worse? Indifferent?

user posted image

Edited by Ashywolf

Woot, comments. Thank you ^^.

They are both supposed to be in midair if you hadn't gathered this already. I will see what I can do with your words of wisdom.

EDIT: Better? Worse? Indifferent?

user posted image

Yeah, I did get they were in midair, but was too lazy to mention it :'x

user posted image is much better :3

With user posted image I kinda meant to say that the shading which joins the wing to the side of the body might need to be lightened a tad, because the light seems to be shining from straight above and downwards. I just noticed something odd about the shading with the arms as well; if the light is coming from above, I think the elbows and along the front of the forearm should probably be lighter as well, while the back of the fore arm should be darker, in my opinion. The same would probably go with the dark shading on the top of the 'knees' (I mean to say the large bit of the leg just before it goes into the joint and the foreleg), personally I think they'd be lighter. ^^;;

user posted image

Halp? I know he's simple (an not a dragon), but he's my first true attempt at a sprite all my own. I put him aside for a while, but I'd like to start practicing again.

Does he look finished, or are there shading/anatomy problems? I can back up to any step. Any little fix needed appreciated. I would rather be told rather than shown, however, so I can get the practice.

Aww, cute!

For shading, my only thing is that the shading is mostly just basic. You need a bit of a variety, from shadows to shades to highlights. If you check out in cave dragons, you'll see a lot of the colors mixed in and blending with each other, rather than straight lines where they're separated and one color ends and the next begins.

http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=225

It is very good overall and I am impressed. <3

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Wings are better?

user posted image

Hugely. It's a bit pointy on the wing joint, though. :3

Right, that's fixed.

I'm thinking about rotating the poses because the male doesn't look as good on his back. Thoughts?

user posted image

i need help with this sprite

user posted image

the wings are driving me nutz and the legs look funny according to everyone that looks at it, i wanna turn the head but i'm not sure how to do it without it looking weird

any ideas?

user posted image

i want to be a good spriter so i'm practicing a lot! this is the S2 hatchie to my dragon request, i just sprited it for practise and i'm probobly not going to use it.

how is it?

user posted image

i want to be a good spriter so i'm practicing a lot! this is the S2 hatchie to my dragon request, i just sprited it for practise and i'm probobly not going to use it.

how is it?

Here are some suggestions:

1- The far wing appears to show no wing fingers, yet the nearest one does.

2- The forearms are very straight. The nearest one is ok, but I would recommend making the furthest one angled a little.

3-Horns could benefit from being a different colour so they stand out more? Horns are scarcely the same colour as the scales.

4-Far knee on hind leg is straight. Add 3-4 pixels so it better matches the nearest hind leg and it should be fine.

5- The front of the neck has a bit where the outline has gone poof.

6- The tip of tail could maybe be a little thinner.

Overall not a bad creation. Bare in mind I am more-or-less a perfectonist xd.png.

Edited by Ashywolf

ok cool! i kinda knew about those outline things, i'm mostly trying to get critique on my shading

user posted image

heres another one, its the female goblin dragon (not my request) someone else did the outline and gave permission to edit. hows the shading?

the eyes took me FOREVER and they STILL dont look good blink.gif

user posted image

did some edits

Edited by Steamrider

Right, that's fixed.

I'm thinking about rotating the poses because the male doesn't look as good on his back. Thoughts?

user posted image

To me, it looks fine either way :3

Peach coloured fem is done.

user posted image

All of them on the scroll background:

user posted image

Any further comments?

Edited by Ashywolf