Dis

The sprite practice thread.

user posted image

Lined from one of my sketches. Looking for anatomy crits as well as spriting crits.

Edited by RubyRed74

rainpeltstar - are you practicing shading? Good start! But try using more contrasts. In pixel art like this, you'll need to go pixel by pixel. Zoom is your friend. :3

http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=225

RubyRed74 - wowzers, that's good! Really smooth. Well done. :3

The main thing that jumps out at me is the legs. They seem rather small and flat for the dragon. I'd try making the whole leg a little longer, maybe, and trying to make the upper leg lines more sharp. The legs connect really smoothly, but you can't really tell they're muscular. The other thing that jumps out at me is the wing connection to the body. It's just kind of...too obvious. Take a look at our in cave dragons - the connection just kind of glides into the body, rather than having a really prominent joint. :3

What a world of difference! I think the only thing left is some parts just need smoothed a teeny, tiny bit (like the bottom line of the tail, the top of the close wing, and the wing connection). Otherwise gorgeous, though!

I was permitted to use the llama dragon spritelines for shading practise happy.gif thanks to Infinis and RuthlessWolves

user posted image (male) user posted image (female)

Personally, I don't think I did too badly on the male, considering I decided to throw myself right in at the deep end and let the first thing I attempt to shade be covered in fur... I can't work out whether I like the fact that he ended up almost stripy or not xd.png The female, however... more contrast is needed, but apart from that I have no clue. (And she is ever so slightly too purple, as well happy.gif)

(I accidentally used the slightly outdated spritelines for the male, hence why he only has one wing happy.gif And I'm only practising shading, so no line changing.)

So yes. I would like general crits, and also advice on the wings!

EDIT: I changed the colour of the female one.

user posted image

Still doesn't look right to me, but I don't know what else is off...

Edited by Seoldraca

The sprites look a bit flat. It has a monotone look to it, which is very hard for me to describe. You may want to use an already in-cave dragon as reference and I'd say that the pillow dragon would be great for you to study.

The sprites do not really depict any shading and a light source. You're just showing three different tones of a color and leaving it at that.

Practice will truly help <3

Edited by RuthlessWolves

user posted image

Will someone be kind enough to redline? It turned out better than I thought, but it took a long time and there's still rough spots. Oh I didn't do the scythe things on his front feet because I was just like no. So I'd rather not have those redlined in. It's Faeryl's sketch.

Edited by Lila

The sprites look a bit flat. It has a monotone look to it, which is very hard for me to describe. You may want to use an already in-cave dragon as reference and I'd say that the pillow dragon would be great for you to study.

The sprites do not really depict any shading and a light source. You're just showing three different tones of a color and leaving it at that.

Practice will truly help <3

*steals picture of a pillow dragon* Thanks happy.gif

ETA attempt number 2 (ignore the random addition of the pillow dragon):

user posted image

Edited by Seoldraca

Thanks for the advice, Sock <^_^>

Revision attempt:

user posted image

I'm thinking the right one's closer forepaw still needs work, and I think I need to thin out the other's arm... Anyone see anything else?

... the tadpole dragon I was attempting to sprite got ate...

guess i'm bad luck I've only been trying like a few hours...

Needs some help with lines and shading. It's a toy dragon made out of rubber(the reason it's so uber shiny.)Advice would help. Main light source is at the bottom left.

post-25-1308952243.png

Edited by dragonfreak6132

Would I be able to post one of my own scratch sprites here for opinions and help? It's not DC related but its my first attempt at proper scratch spriting outside of scratching bits onto pokemon sprites and I'd like some guidance.

Here it is: If this is not allowed, I'll delete the post.

This is Giegue from Mother for the NES/Famicom. You may know it better when I say EarthBound is its sequel

user posted image

this is official sprite/art of him:

user posted imageuser posted image

Here is my outline sprite of Gradient's sketch. This is my first try at spriting. Constructive criticism would be appreciated.

user posted image

@DMDx3: That's not actually a sprite. That's just a small image. A sprite has a nice, crisp outline.

@Starbit-Plushie: Looks alright to be, as far as your spiriting techniques go. o3o)b

@dragonfreak6132: You have to remember that light comes from everywhere, and where there's a light, there's a shadow to contrast it. So you need to shade the whole body accordingly, not just the really bright parts. Also, try hue variation (and by that, I mean the light becomes more yellow as it gets brighter/the shadows get bluer as they get darker, etc).

@AlternateMew: The one on the right's far paw and back leg seem a little strange. Very good besides that.

@Seoldraca: Try going for more of chunks of light and dark fur, rather than just small specks.

@Lila: I cleaned up the lines a little. Not all of it. Just to show you what you need to do. But I haven't sprited in a long time, so... user posted image

Aww poop lol. I thought something looked off but I couldn't figure out what... But now I realize that I traced the sketch full size then shrank the resulting picture down. I guess I should have shrank the sketch first then traced over that. Wow... I feel dumb wacko.gifblink.gif Ah well. I guess it's not that bad considering this is my first time attempting spriting and I'm also known for being very dumb/ditsy.

Edited by DMDx3

The problem is that it now looks 2D. You have to remember that these are 3D creatures, so their arms have bulges where the shoulder joint connects, the jaw makes a small shadow on the neck, etc. But a very nice choice with colours, now. :3

Looks pretty good! It has some straight lines (like the left whisker), and the face has no shading, though. Oh, and coloured lines, rather than black, can help a lot. =D

user posted image Version two

user posted image Version three

I personally like version three better than two because of the pwetty colors. But that's just me. What one do you think is better?

Also, I smoothed out the lines I could find and made the whiskers more pretty-full.

Edit: Do you think the left fin needs fixing up?

Edited by CYDA LUVA83

At this point, it's more of personal preference than anything. :3 Looks much better now.

Yeah, the left and right fin are not on the same level. They need to be balanced out.

I added a few more shadows and defined the joints where the arm and leg are connected a bit.

user posted image

I would also like a few crits on these sprites.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

And yes. I do know that the wings are wrong. I made these BEFORE I knew to not make wings like that.