Dis

The sprite practice thread.

With sprites, it doesn't matter as much whether you use a mouse, tablet, or trackpad. I'm unable to redline at the moment because opening PS really slows my computer down and I have some other things running, don't want it to crash >.>

There's a channel in the DC IRC, #arts, where you can get additional crit and help.

With sprites, it doesn't matter as much whether you use a mouse, tablet, or trackpad. I'm unable to redline at the moment because opening PS really slows my computer down and I have some other things running, don't want it to crash >.>

There's a channel in the DC IRC, #arts, where you can get additional crit and help.

I never knew there was an art channel on the IRC! I'll go check it out. smile.gif

crits on this newly shaped sprite?

user posted image

i think i might add some sort of like arm, not quite sure yet.

Edited by Sandface

Yes, it's a bit better, though you still have a lot of straight lines. Also, the head's a bit large for the body.

I feel awkward by keep asking if its better lol :x

crits:?

user posted image

Wow, lots of improvement! What you have now mostly just needs a bit of smoothing (the bottommost scale for example, is a little off). This guide may help with that. I'm working on curves, myself. X_X Advice someone else gave me is to change a few pixels, zoom out, see how it looks, zoom in again, change a few more pixels, zoom out, etc. It does take a while, but it helps. ^^

Although the body may need re-worked a bit, too. Take a look at the Sunsongs: user posted imageuser posted image and the ratio of body to neck and tail and wings. The head on yours is also a little big compared to the thinness of the neck.

Great start, though. ^^

Fireball - not bad at all. :3

The major thing that sticks out at me is the head to neck size. Probably a combination of making the head smaller and thickening up the neck is how it's going to need fixed. The butt & legs also seem a little wonky, but it may just be the pose throwing me off. I'd say the feet and legs will need to be made a bit bigger/thicker, though. There's also a spot near the end of the tail where it seems to be dented in a bit.

For curves, making sure your lines are one pixel thick, etc. I'd suggest taking a look at the guide I linked for Sandface. ^^

okay i used that line tutorial, and i think it looks pretty good...considering what i had first,, aha

user posted image

crits please?

thanks for all the help so far !!

Edited by Sandface

I need a bit help with this sprite, the lines are not really good, it is a really difficult picture, may somebody can give me some tips and/or redline my mistakes.

Orginal picture (NOT FROM ME!)

Male

My sprite

user posted image

(I know not really good)

Here's a new sprite that I made just now. I'm giving up on the other one because I didn't like it. rolleyes.gif

user posted image

Any crits (I know the feet are bad)? I tried to make the lines and curves as smooth as possible. It's supposed to be a pygmy dragon of some sort. smile.gif

Edited by fireball225

okay i used that line tutorial, and i think it looks pretty good...considering what i had first,, aha

user posted image

crits please?

thanks for all the help so far !!

bump

still need crits on this please smile.gif

Hey people~ :3 I'm a complete newbie when it comes to spriting, but I tried it out using one of my own sketches. I'm not sure if we can post entirely original sprites here, but I figured that since this is the practice thread, we post our practice, right? |D

Anyway, this is my first ever attempt at a sprite from start to finish. I did this in Photoshop Elements 6.0 and took about... two hours, roughly? Give or take half an hour or so.

user posted image

Is this decent for a first sprite? I know its a bit big, but hey, its my first try and was just for practice. It's not like it'll ever get put on the site, and I wanted to get as detailed as I could, and with my sketch's awkward proportions it was a tad difficult to shrink it much more than this.

The dragon depicted in the sprite and the sprite itself are both © to me and please don't reuse. Anywhere. Period. :| I'm rather annoyed with my art always getting stolen, hence the ugly watermark.

I'd really appreciate some good, helpful critiques and feedback! After all I can't get any better without knowing what's wrong!! :3

Hihihi! It's youuuuuu.

That's very good for a first sprite. What's the color count?

Btw, I made my own little thread in here ;3

@ZheaZen- honestly, I can't remember it off the top of my head and my photoshop is closed currently. My computer throws a hissy fit if I open it too much, so I'll have to get back to you on that. For the body and wings there were four gradients each, and the other added colors either had one or no gradients.

Oh really? Where can I get to that? I'm still having a tad bit of difficulty navigating all the pages and pages of threads and posts. It's a tad overwhelming. |D

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=111009&st=0

Thar. I feel a bit more free to talk in there than in here, really. And you'll get used to navigation quickly... or die.

Anyways, tha's alright. Hm. The body anatomy is off by a little in the chest and belly area - skinny it up a bit, right now it looks likes it's on steroids. Maybe define the chest a little more as well. And the head, er, kinda looks like it has a buttcrack. lol

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=111009&st=0

Thar. I feel a bit more free to talk in there than in here, really. And you'll get used to navigation quickly... or die.

Anyways, tha's alright. Hm. The body anatomy is off by a little in the chest and belly area - skinny it up a bit, right now it looks likes it's on steroids. Maybe define the chest a little more as well. And the head, er, kinda looks like it has a buttcrack. lol

Well, I don't think I mentioned in my first post the sprite is of a chibi sketch I did of a dragon hatchling, and baby anythings have rather weird anatomy. |D But yeah, I didn't do too well shading her brows on her forehead, so I can see what you mean. I need to reposition the belly scales a bit and hopefully that'd help. Her chest is rather puffed out... |D

bump

still need crits on this please smile.gif

There's a bloopy spot near the end of the tail where it gets thicker than the rest and then thins out again. That should be made a bit thinner. If you can't see it, I can go circle it and show you. owo

sapphiredragon73 - nice! I feel the legs are probably too small/short for that body, though. Also, what's the line separating the neck from the body? Other than that, mostly just general smoothing, mostly on the back and stomach.

http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=221

Simple advice, but very helpful. And as another spriter told me, it's also helpful to zoom in, change a few pixels, zoom out, see how it looks, zoom back in, change a few more, etc. :3

user posted image

one of my better sprites. crits, pl0x?

The front legs are too short for the back, yes. Other than that, looks fine to me, though I think the grey line on the neck should be further up, since it looks like you're going for a "horse neck" look. Oh, and some smoothing is needed. <3 I love it, though.

i fixed most of it, its the cloud dragon, so the roughness is purposely for texture.

user posted image

sps- that bump is where the "cloud" part ends. the neck line is just there, not really going for a horse neck... but um how is it now?

That line on the neck isn't actually there. It's on horse necks, though, but not really any other animal that I've seen.

Also, the roughness may be fore texture, but it still looks awkward. =/

Theres a spot near the shoulder that could be smoothed out a little more

Edited by Sandface

Ooooh, okay, that explains it.

Agreed about the texture. You can do little bumps for texture (like the ones on the rump), if you want, but the bumpiness (like the back and stomach) now makes the sprite look rough. :3

Oh! Also, what's that gray line on the stomach for? o3o