Dis

The sprite practice thread.

Looks fantastic, Whitefire. :3

Fantastic.

---

user posted image | user posted image | user posted image

Leftmost is arching its back/cowering. Middle is running. Rightmost is flying.

Legs of beta middle one will be fixed, and the tail fur will turn into the correct tail-feather-thingys

the eyes are gold, thats why you cant hardly see them.

pls no one bug me about sizes as these are not for DC.

What's it for, then?

The 2nd, 3rd poses look too static to be running/flying. The 2nd one just looks like it's got a broken leg. If you want to make it look like it's running, you'll probably want to extend the legs more - all of them. The 3rd one looks rather... suspended; perhaps extend two of the legs out rather than having the legs in the same position for both sides.

PN.

yes, the 2nd has a broken leg. it is speed-limping back to its mother to complain *shot* mk

on the 3rd one... which two legs? near hind and far fore?

EDIT: no wait i like the near hindleg too much... ima try the far hind :L

EDIT2: user posted image myu?

EDIT3: derpderp?

user posted image or user posted image

i like the second one, personally :L

Edited by Whitefire

Ooh. I'm so out of the loop. Haven't checked there in a while.

The front legs look like they're the same length still when the back one should look longer (being that it's extended), and I suggest moving the whole back hind leg back along the body towards the tail a bit and extending that leg out and to the back.

The 3rd one looks better imo but the second one is probably what you're shooting for (running and all), so... have the thigh lie more with the tail so that you can "afford" a little bend in the lower section of the leg denoting the calves from the feet (and so it doesn't look like one unbroken section - or broken, depending). Try to plant one of the feet on the ground (if only just the tippiest toe) so that it looks grounded rather than sort of... floaty.

lets call the running one 'Beta' and the flying one 'Delta' >.> i was confused for a bit which was which you were talking about :L

user posted imageuser posted image

looking at it now, beta's far foot is all weirdly. the whole far leg is weirdly...

tried to make a foot look more grounded.

delta seems to be lacking an elbow.

oh, and here's 'Alpha' shaded. user posted image

had to make nearly the whole face dark so you could see the eye :L

poke away :L

EDIT:

hopefully fixed the things i said bothered me :L [<- i make perfect sense, dont i :D]

probably stuff still wrong with them.

Edited by Whitefire

Thar. Not perfect, but the general idea.

Ohey that edited post. Uuh.

Edited by RheaZen

late reply iz L8

---

can has use delta lines[what be name on PN so i can give credit?]? and for the beta, maybe if the near paw was like how the far paw is now [arent i great at explaining?]?

---

EDIT: also, concrit on these? and which color is better?

post-25-1317686253.png

Edited by Whitefire

huh.gif This is my first sprite. I drew it and everything. Please kill me with critz on how to make it better?

post-25-1318682204.png

Alright, I know this isn't a dragon, but it's a sprite all the same.

user posted image

(Luls, my own downgrade to a certain shield of a certain favorite character...)

I think I did fine on the lines, but that's the first time I've ever done shading rather than flatcolor. I wanted it to look like the spiky top bit was curling over the blue part, and I think I've got that, but it somehow doesn't look right to me. You guys see anything wrong with it?

ETA: I see you, Switchykins.

Edited by Aquenee

It's very good for such an early attempt. For shading, just work more on contrast and you'll get it sooner or later.

It's been like a year since I've tried spriting again, but the halloween event here drew me back in and gave me the pixel bug again

I just made this tonight:

user posted image

and here are the better ones I made a while ago:

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

(the first one is an original character, the ones in the middle are random ones made for practice, and the last two were submitted here as the - i think it was flint? - dragon. The one on fire isn't shaded entirely, I'm pretty sure someone else finished it up for me because I don't have a more complete file)

Critique, both general and specific, is greatly appreciated. I'm the happiest with the flints; not really satisfied with any of the others, but I'm not sure why. I'm trying to get better at spriting and while I know the biggest thing I need is practice, tips on what I'm doing wrong would certainly help immensely. You can be merciless; as I said I'm not really fond of my work anyway, so I won't get offended.

(sorry to spam this thread with so many at once - should I make a separate thread for this?)

Edited by Akrona

It's been like a year since I've tried spriting again, but the halloween event here drew me back in and gave me the pixel bug again

I just made this tonight:

user posted image

and here are the better ones I made a while ago:

(the first one is an original character, the ones in the middle are random ones made for practice, and the last two were submitted here as the - i think it was flint? - dragon. The one on fire isn't shaded entirely, I'm pretty sure someone else finished it up for me because I don't have a more complete file)

Critique, both general and specific, is greatly appreciated. I'm the happiest with the flints; not really satisfied with any of the others, but I'm not sure why. I'm trying to get better at spriting and while I know the biggest thing I need is practice, tips on what I'm doing wrong would certainly help immensely. You can be merciless; as I said I'm not really fond of my work anyway, so I won't get offended.

(sorry to spam this thread with so many at once - should I make a separate thread for this?)

The last two are the Flintscale Terrors and they were never finished. I loved those dragons but nobody worked on them. </3

Anyway, I think all the sprites look pretty good but there are some spots that look flat to me. I'm not really good at crit though so maybe someone else can help more.

Blessed Be! ~Rain

i'd crit those but its midnight here [again. si, twice midnight in one day. 'fall-back' thing ya know], but i might later :L

user posted image

in the meantime of idk what i made this for no reason. the colors are just kinda placeholders so i could shade [kinda hard to shade nothing, ya know].

EDIT: posting just so i can see it from my dsi

user posted image

Edited by Whitefire

Oh do we post here to practice? Kk, i'll post a few eggs that I made before. Some people think that they are a bit....well bad >.>

Egg 1. (my favourite out of mine :3)user posted image

Egg 2. user posted image

Egg 3. (maybe the wrost one I made so far DX) user posted image

Edited by Tiffashy

user posted image

Ooooh, I love this one, especially the colors! Only crit is that I'm not sure the wings are big enough to carry it. Make them wider? (Also note I'm terrible with wing anatomy. x3 )

user posted image

Oooh, love the fiery underwing! Tough pose, though. I'm really unsure on the legs. The front legs are kind of at awkward angles and the back legs should maybe be in more similar positions. The stomach curve is also a bit exaggerated inwards, I believe, and should be straightened a tad.

user posted image

This is just gorgeous! I love it! I'd say mainly work on smoothing the bottom of the tail so it's more of a curve instead of a jagged line.

user posted image

Cute! Both very glomped together and hard to make out, though. I'd say define them more and use some brighter/more highlights.

user posted image

This one is also very neat. Upper body looks great. However, everything really gets lost in the lower body. I see what is maybe one leg and if I stare for long enough I think I found the other. However, they're really lost in the tail and the 'melting'. Darker outlines and more shading may help.

user posted image

Very neat but another really tough one. The fire makes everything look kind of messy. I think it would be best to go through and clearly define the body, then add the fire, maybe using duller colors.

user posted image

You choose really pretty colors! However, the body itself, while cute, is very...put together, kind of like a barbie, if you get what I mean. Front leg connection should be made shorter and maybe use a lighter outline overall.

Nice job! You've made it far in a short amount of time. :3

Did you use the default outline? These look a little...exaggerated from normal DC eggs. The outline should also be a darker color of whatever color is touching it. The black outline stands out and doesn't look as nice. (Balloons have a pink outline, daydreams a blue, canopies and pebbles a green, for example.) They also all seem a bit...pillow shaded, I think. Try adding some more contrast in a more natural round pattern that follows the egg. You can copy eggs from the wiki or the cave and paste them into gimp and zoom in to study some different shading patterns. That may help. :3

Ahhh, stupid outlines

Well rather stupid me...but okay x]

Well I always coby the eggs from the wiki website and study closely but then I get lazy and guess the rest of the work.

I'll try and remake the eggs again :3

EDITED: Okay, I made a few new eggs. They look heaps better :] (I think)

user posted image

user posted image

I love the pink one, it looks like it is made from crystals.

EDITED: So is anyone going to comment on my eggs....? Been like 2-3 days xd.png

-Some days later-

Okay, this is my first ever dragon sprite

user posted image

I know that it needs shading but how do I shade? the turtoals are not helping much >.< maybe you guys can give me a hand :3

Edited by Tiffashy

Well first you need to make it a sprite. happy.gif Right now it just looks like a shrunken picture.

user posted image

Here's my very first attempt using waterspirit07's sprite.

Questions? Comments? Concerns about how bad it is?

Okay, this is my very first time shading a dragon.

user posted image

Any comments on how bad it is? What do I need to change and what should I do differently next time I shade and sprite a dragon?

Oh Red Rose. Its pretty good for a first time. Maybe you should give it spines or maybe even add something to the tail so the tail doesn't look plain? Maybe even add shading to it and also you can look at other dragon sprites and see how they use shading and ect.

I decided to go a bit further and make a little animation... critz please?

user posted image Thanks! >.<