Dis

The sprite practice thread.

Is it just the red part of the tail you shaded, wonton? If you've added shading to the body pattern, I would try upping the contrast a bit, as I can't tell it's shaded. Red part of the tail looks pretty good, though. ^^

grayson - it looks like the wings are a little off. One side has a huge wing while the others' is tiny. From that perspective, I think they should be a little closer in size than they are.

The wing point on the far side, second closest to the outside is also really flat. I'd suggest curving that line a bit more. Tail is also a bit awkward; thinning it a bit might help. Besides that, there's a few spots - outside curves of the wings and the tail, where the outline is really dark and could do to be lightened a bit.

Really good start, though. Love the color choices. :3

As for this guy: user posted image

I think it's the shading, but the outline on the chest seems a little thick.

Is the darker blue supposed to be the shading? In some places (like the head/neck area) it comes off as more of a weird glow and in places like the chest, makes the outline look odd. Cute, though. :3

This is my first outline..and also my first time ever trying to make a sprite...and i made it kinda big blink.gif ...does anyone know how to make it smaller so that its not blurry??

user posted image

but besides the size..which will be next to fix...any crits on it??

Now that you've sprited it, making it smaller will make it blurry. You have to resize before spriting.

It's not bad for a first sprite, and I like how you paid attention to the "only one line" bit from the guide - most people (me included) end up with a double line or more. I'd say that currently you should work on consistency of width and smoothness of curvature.

No, contrast means a greater difference in the shades. The shading will be blacker; the highlights will be whiter.

Does it look any better? unsure.gif

user posted image

its still sucky i know.

You've got the size down, but you still need to work on consistancy of width and smoothness. Try to make it so that the body tapers smoothly and get rid of the straight lines on the twists and turns. The wings, are you going for anatomically correct or stylized?

You've got the size down, but you still need to work on consistancy of width and smoothness. Try to make it so that the body tapers smoothly and get rid of the straight lines on the twists and turns. The wings, are you going for anatomically correct or stylized?

Anatomically correct, to make it look more natural..if thats what your referring to..?

Alright then, in that case... you'll want to have a distinct shoulder as well as "arm" bones. See, wings are essentially modified arms, so you'll need to mimic an arm's anatomy to make it look natural.

user posted image

See what I mean?

oh ok i see it now ^

so how do you suppose i fix the anatomy in the wings?

Chances are you'll have to resprite the whole wing - it's currently in a bit of an awkward position, in terms of respriting to correct the anatomy.

Here is my first ever sprite! Please take this into consideration when critiquing it. (I know, it's really bad tongue.gif)

user posted image

If anyone wants to take it and revise it somehow, please do so. smile.gif

Edited by fireball225

Chances are you'll have to resprite the whole wing - it's currently in a bit of an awkward position, in terms of respriting to correct the anatomy.

Would it be better to take the wings off entirely, and just go with the shape around where they are?

fb, you should read the link I posted on page 26 ^^ Also, as with Sandface, your sprite needs work anatomically and in smoothing out curves.

Yeah, that sounds good, Sand.

fb, you should read the link I posted on page 26 ^^ Also, as with Sandface, your sprite needs work anatomically and in smoothing out curves.

Yeah, that sounds good, Sand.

I have read it, it's just that I wanted to just do something quick and simple and get critique on it. Like maybe some anatomy errors. I plan on cleaning it up in the future. smile.gif

Well... the head's a bit large, the wings lack anatomy (see the top post of this page), there's a few double-lines (everything should be only 1 pixel thick), the legs are awkwardly positioned, and the tail especially needs to be smoothed out. Edited by RheaZen

Well... the head's a bit large, the wings lack anatomy (see the top post of this page), there's a few double-lines (everything should be only 1 pixel thick), the legs are awkwardly positioned, and the tail especially needs to be smoothed out.

Thanks for the crit. I have a hard time with anatomy when using my computer because I use a trackpad (I have a mac). Could you try to edit or fix it in some way? I'll also try to fix it.