Dis

The sprite practice thread.

the gray line on the neck isn't like a horse thing, its just to keep track of where to shade.

the one on the stomach is basically again where the cloud ends.

Zovesta gave me permission to use her Maned Drake sketch as spriting practice.

user posted image

Crit?

The lines on the feet and around the tail could be more smoothed out. And also the back could be smoothed also. Try looking at this guide for help on smoothing out lines.

user posted image

Smoothed out the hips and tail, edited the head a tad, also to the 'furry' look away from the mane. Smoothed out the feet/legs, and made the back a little more curved.

Any better?

There's a spot on the shoulder thats' at a point. And the shoulder itself could be smoothed a little more. The leg that is up in the air is a little short and skinnier than the rest. There's a spot also on the chest that could be smoothed out. You still have a few straight lines going on with the legs that could be more curved. There's also a spot on the tail, that its not the same size.

You want me to redline it a little bit? Permission?

The furry look was actually ok.

There are still a few sharp points. Mainly rounding out the back and hips and such, since there are some sharp spots, would be great.

user posted image

Put the furry look back, curved the legs a bit more, made the raised front leg thicker, and made the horns a bit less sharp around the edges.

So hows it lookin'?

Much better, Cyda, but the back legs are a little too straight and there's a straight line on the back.

wonton, it's cute, but pretty basic. o3o

Tried shading it for my concept. Is this good enough?

user posted image

Edit for comparison:

user posted image

Edited by wonton55912

Thanks, Cyda. I fixed it up a little and I am using it in my concept so hopefully it'll be in the cave.

user posted image

user posted image

Fixed the straightness issue... I think.

yes thats pretty good. you should take it here for more touch ups on the anatomy.

user posted imageuser posted image

Any advice? I've been getting a lot of advice from Rhea, and was encouraged to come here. Shading style is supposed to resemble that of gen IV Pokemon sprites. The difference between the two is a small difference in the chest shading, which is about the only thing that doesn't feel right to me at the moment.

user posted image

lol. Suckish hatchie there... I don't mind if you n00bs use it for practice shading. It's my own lil' shader >w>

user posted image

Fixed the straightness issue... I think.

Oooh, nice. Front legs need to be thicker with some muscle definition. The wrist bend is very noodle-y, especially. :3

Can anybody tell me what they think of these two?

This is my first time spriting and I'd be open to any shading tips. I know something's not quite right.

user posted imageuser posted image

Hello, i've just recently finished a sprite, and i was hoping for some critique? Here it is:

user posted image Note: i had a bit of trouble with the red part of the wings, sorry if you find it difficult to see, i can't seem to find a way to fix that withour taking the backround wing away. And im also new to the shading, so i could use alittle help with that too :L. Oh, i didn't give it a mouth for a reason.

ps: could you guess were i got the concept from?, also, please don't take without permission :I(just in case)

@Onyx-Dragoness, you could try to blend the shades abit more to smooth it out, atleast thats what i think. Really good sprites though.

Edited by blargh

Onyx-Dragoness - agreed on the blending or toning down. The highlights are really bright. x3 Awesome job, though! They look really neat. :3

blargh - the front legs (lower part) especially are really straight. Try adding some more definition to them. The back could also use a little bit of smoothing. You did a beautiful job on the neck curves. The back feet - why don't they have the back claw like the front? It makes their pose seem a bit lopsided. The back leg anatomy also seems a little awkward. I think it's that the (first) bend is at the wrong angle for the pose. Take a look at some dogs to see what I mean:

http://www.mydogneeds.com/dog-groups/herdi...hepherd-dog.jpg

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Sept05/dog.jpg

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/dog-best-friend-1.jpg

Overall, very nice. I love the little mark under the eye, especially. ^^

Well, derp, you took out the sprite. x3

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Sorry for the confusion, I put it back. Just realized you replied. xP

Edited by blargh

Thanks SockPuppet Strangler and blargh. And thank you for the advice. smile.gif

Looking at it a few days later I can tell that the colors are too wide in range. I'll tone them down a bit and see how they come out.

High-ho,

High-ho,

Back off to GIMP I go! biggrin.gif

PS blargh, if you're still having trouble with the shading I'd take a look at some tutorials. I know they've linked some on the threads and you can always search deviantArt too. That's where I've found some of the best ones.

Edited by Onyx-Dragoness