TJ09

2023-07-30 - July Dragon Release

2 hours ago, Dragonalassa said:

The site operates like it's still only got ~100 or so breeds on the site when we have over thrice that, and with the general air of burnout I'm picking up from a lot of users here, I really think the site could update some mechanics because DC is starting to feel like it's collapsing under its own weight.

[REMOVED, USE APPROPRIATE LANGUAGE AND BE POLITE TO OTHER USERS. This includes moderators and TJ]

Edited by Kaini

Thank you, TJ, Schenanigans & spatio! These eggs are my favorite so far & I am excited to see the adults!

I see so many negative comments about the length of the initial release, rates,etc. I actually like that we have to put some time into collecting & breeding. I like when a new release has rare drops that take weeks or months to collect...it gives me a something to do, a reason to keep playing. When a drop has only 2 breeds with no alts, breeding, or any guesswork, I get bored almost immediately and feel the drop was just too easy. The next 29ish days are spent just waiting for a new release.

I have been on DC for more than 10 years. My opinion has never changed in that time, even with more people and more dragons. I absolutely love that this game is entirely free. I appreciate that I don't feel like I have to pay to win, my chances to get what I want are the exact same as everyone else.

Again, thank you, TJ, for all the time you've dedicated to this site and thanks to all the sprinters for such beautiful pixel art!

My theory is that they drop like Gemshards.
So, one colour on Mondays, another on Tuesdays, and so on. And then three on Sundays.

The first stage 2 happened and it's so pretty! I can't wait to see what the rest look like. 

I'm on my phone and I managed to get 8 from 5 different biomes in less than half an hour. I am not usually that lucky.  (I still don't have a CB white vespine and had to trade for my 2Gs)

Edited by RagaDal

2 hours ago, WWECornSerpent said:

A tip that I gave to the rest of my family is the back button on the mouse and an immediate new click, keeping your mouse steady over one, and only one egg position.  All 4 of us have filled our scrolls in about half an hour.  Of course, it helps that we have a system where each of us collects from only 1 or 2 biomes and then trade with each other until we all have everything.  I was the last to this release but still able to get at least 2 of everything in only a few drops.

Thanks, but they’re all tips I’ve used for quite a while. I have managed some eggs, but that doesn’t change my position. 

3 minutes ago, Pandaemonium said:

if each gender has a unique sprite then it's more like 18 new sprites to collect.

Because each release post shows at least one frozen hatchling and at least one adult of each new breed, two eggs of one breed - as is this case - usually suggests only a single nondimorphic hatchling and a single nondimorphic adult.

1 minute ago, Lushwave said:

Because each release post shows at least one frozen hatchling and at least one adult of each new breed, two eggs of one breed - as is this case - usually suggests only a single nondimorphic hatchling and a single nondimorphic adult.

Oh, I had no idea x'D

Got my set of 2 each +1 For fiend that can't grab them.

Guessing the other variants are all bred from the base 3 we get. Hopefully they aren't hard to breed to get the variants.

@schenanigans

@spatio:

Congratulations on a beautiful new release! The eggs are beautiful and the hatchies look adorable and really promising! I can't wait to see them grow up - and to get to know what kind of character their description is hinting at, it sounds intriguing!

Edited by Kaini

I just read in their descriptions that these babies talk! 

Edited by Kaini

Feathered wings, or something else? Very interesting. 

Ooh, the first gendered hatchlings are lovelyy! Thanks and congrats Schen and Spatio, and everyone involved if there were others. And thanks to TJ for the release, of course. I'm already terribly impatient to see the adults. 😸 And I saw someone mentioning linguist dragons, that would be fun! I very much enjoy the idea, as I'm a linguistics student myself.

as far as i'm concerned, the more recolors the better - and all of these ones are *gorgeous*. had no problem grabbing my 8 about 5 hours into the drop.

The hatchies look beautiful.  The idea egg color = dragon, petal color = wings is really neat! And of course the blue/gold gold/blue ones I'm most curious about take their time getting to stage 2... 

Hey, it's a game, it's not easy, it can be frustrating - that's the fun of it and the reason to keep playing. If this was just about getting while the getting's good, it would just be about grabbing and possessing - and not my kind of game. I think I've been around since 2008, stupidly slow at finding out how to play - I guess I have about 50 blacks because I didn't bother finding out that you can only get the alts by breeding... but I love all my silly blacks.

This release seems really interesting - I'm at least hoping that the variants have some workable mechanism, what I'd really like would be simple crossbreeding/hybrids - but I guess that will have to wait. Until people get adults and can start to try. Anyway the eggs are cute! and the amount of variations promise interesting and pretty adults. Thank you!

My thought process when first seeing this release:

Nine variants; six biomes; post specifically mentions “more dragons than there are biomes”… we’re getting three new biomes!

That doesn’t look to be the case, but I’ll keep dreaming. Tundra/wetland/grassland, your time will come  ;) 

New release! Yay!

I just grabbed two of each and influenced them. Now I'll grab another two. I think the other variants come from breeding these variants together, so it's good to get a full set of 8.

The eggs looks lovely! 😊

Alright my friends! Let me remind you of a few forum rules:

Respect Others

Do not harass or be rude to others. Blatant disrespect of other people who use the forum, be they staff or not, will result in a warning.

This is the first rule of the forum. This means no name-calling, disrespect, snark, sass, whatever you want to call it. Don't be rude to each other. This includes moderators and TJ. In the last two pages I saw other users called names, moderators called names, and TJ called names. This is not in any way acceptable.

Secondly, this thread is for discussion of the new release / new dragons. Theories about how the colors work, how many you've caught, the sprites etc.

It is NOT a place to discuss overall site mechanics, changes you'd like to implemented to the site, etc.

We have an entire section for that, called suggestions/requests. I'm not saying you CANNOT talk about those things, just please take them to the correct section where they are properly moderated and organized into specific suggestions for implementation.

The respect others rule also applies in that forum, however. You can be frustrated, you can offer constructive criticism if you want, but be respectful in doing so. That is all I'm asking. Constructive does not mean rude, constructive criticism is at its heart, positive.

Remember that this site is free, a passion project by one person and staffed entirely by volunteers. It could be shut down tomorrow for any reason and none of us would be owed anything. The same goes for updates and changes. Feel free to suggest them to make the site better, but demanding them is not okay. This is game, it's mean to be fun. If you're not having fun, you're welcome not to play it, but it does not need to change for you.

This is a permanent release. They will be around for a while. I just locked myself this morning after I woke up, no biggie. The game would be boring if we only had 'easy' things to collect. If it helps, I actually agree some overall changes are needed, I'd love to have egg limits raised for example, but again - suggestions/requests is the place for that. Take it there, and be respectful.

Please read the above before commenting in this thread.

Posts beyond this one that are disrespectful or off topic will immediately receive a warn, AND be put on post moderation for a week.

Edited by Kaini

The petal color determines the wing color, the egg color determines the body color.

!!! Loving them! The hatchies are adorable, I really like the colours of the wings and 'chestplate' appearing on the eggs. Very curious how the wings will turn out, feathery maybe? My favourite is the blue so far but will have to wait for adults to know for sure.

My theory is the rest of the colours will be bred alts, one for each biome. So coast x coast would produce a hybrid.