TJ09

2023-04-30 - April Dragon Release

For those tracking bred colors, I just bred gold from a gold mom from volcano.

I'm starting to think the colors you get are random.

8 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

For those tracking bred colors, I just bred gold from a gold mom from volcano.

I'm starting to think the colors you get are random.

I'm wondering this, as well. I'm so far behind in the replies about the discussion 😅😭

I'd bet that the colours you get from breeding are just...whatever drops in the cave, at the same rates. So right now we have golds and silvers based on the market, and breeding will produce one of the two. If the golds are more common, they'll probably be more common from breeding too (idk if they actually are, this is just as an example of what I assume would happen).

Unfortunately, due to a few other obligations I never had the opportunity to do full artwork for the Sonata Dragons, though hopefully I'll have some more time to do that in the future. However, I wanted to share a little bit more about their concept history as well as their original sprite art for anyone that may be interested in seeing it.

Here's the old ones from yesteryear compared to the ones released today. Hopefully it is, at the very least, a fun tidbit of sprite history:
Enn1aau.png

(Dragon Cave's sprite art really has changed a lot over the years!)

The Sonatas were my first completed solo Public DR over a decade ago, at the time known as their full name: Moonlight Sonata Dragons. Since then, they have been updated, and I enlisted the incredible talent of writer @MoonShark to help breathe new life into the old dragon concept. I am very grateful for their willingness to work with me on these dragons and I'm even more elated now that they've been released after such a long time. She did a wonderful job writing their descriptions.

When designing them, I drew inspiration from two notable pieces of art and music: Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh (the favourite of my now-late grandmother as well as myself), and the Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven (my and my father's favourite piece of classical music). Some of the Starry Night influence can hopefully be seen in the Sonata Dragon's new egg, and the name of the dragon itself is hopefully straightforward enough to not need any further explanation 🙂 

Additionally, back when they were first made, it was before Aurax and Cirion were a... thing. So their original variants were just a normal moon (blue) and a "harvest moon" (orange), which were changed to now be Aurax and Cirion (with the addition of an Eclipse variant). Convenient that the colours still fit!

That's really about it I think...

I hope you all enjoy the Sonata Dragons and I look forward to seeing the beautiful lineages made with them. Hopefully they're fun to utilise in your projects! 🙂

Edited by birdzgoboom

Spoiler
1 hour ago, birdzgoboom said:

Unfortunately, due to a few other obligations I never had the opportunity to do full artwork for the Sonata Dragons, though hopefully I'll have some more time to do that in the future. However, I wanted to share a little bit more about their concept history as well as their original sprite art for anyone that may be interested in seeing it.

Here's the old ones from yesteryear compared to the ones released today. Hopefully it is, at the very least, a fun tidbit of sprite history:
Enn1aau.png

The Sonatas were my first completed solo Public DR over a decade ago, at the time known as their full name: Moonlight Sonata Dragons. Since then, they have been updated, and I enlisted the incredible talent of writer @MoonShark to help breathe new life into the old dragon concept. I am very grateful for their willingness to work with me on these dragons and I'm even more elated now that they've been released after such a long time. She did a wonderful job writing their descriptions.

When designing them, I drew inspiration from two notable pieces of art and music: Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh (the favourite of my now-late grandmother as well as myself), and the Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven (my and my father's favourite piece of classical music). Some of the Starry Night influence can hopefully be seen in the Sonata Dragon's new egg, and the name of the dragon itself is hopefully straightforward enough to not need any further explanation 🙂 

Additionally, back when they were first made, it was before Aurax and Cirion were a... thing. So their original variants were just a normal moon (blue) and a "harvest moon" (orange), which were changed to now be Aurax and Cirion (with the addition of an Eclipse variant). Convenient that the colours still fit!

I hope you all enjoy the Sonata Dragons and I look forward to seeing the beautiful lineages made with them. Hopefully they're fun to utilise in your projects! 🙂

Two versions are both beautiful 🥰

Love them!

They are incredibly breathtaking creatures!!!

Can't wait to make more checkers :nyan:

Edited by a101401014

2 hours ago, birdzgoboom said:

I already have a lineage planned with them.

Thanks for the historical info. It is always fun to see the background of the dragons we get.

I always love your art. When I see your name on a hatchling I know I am going to love the adult dragon!

3 hours ago, birdzgoboom said:

Enn1aau.png

Wow. I love the evolution of the sprite images. :wub:

The mechanics of the three Sonata variants have been really fun to figure out. 

Now there are only gold ones in the market.

2 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Now there are only gold ones in the market.

I just came to ask about that! I am so confused, I had no idea there was even a silver one existing.  Can anyone explain whats going on? Are certain colors only available at certain times? I've looked at the clock, but I don't understand how to read it.  Can anyone help me?

18 minutes ago, saltywench said:

I just came to ask about that! I am so confused, I had no idea there was even a silver one existing.  Can anyone explain whats going on? Are certain colors only available at certain times? I've looked at the clock, but I don't understand how to read it.  Can anyone help me?

Here's what I think is going on:

Spoiler

I think the chance of the eggs dropping/bred increases dramatically when the relevant moon enters the shaded area (i.e., opposite the sun, representing a full moon). The silvers require an eclipse (both full moons in alignment with the sun and planet), thus would only have increased availability when both moons are in that area. There are other breeds whose availability also are affected by the phases of the moons (e.g., lunar herald).

I really like the visual tracking of where the moons are along with the descriptors of waxing/waning gibbous/crescent.

Edited by Awdz Bodkins

11 hours ago, birdzgoboom said:

Enn1aau.png

What an amazing glow up for these dragons!

I love the subtle differences with all three sprites, feels like there's something new to find on them.

Looking at this section of the lunar calendar that someone posted earlier in this thread, I am thinking that the blue Sonatas may be available during the time that the blue Lunar Heralds are in the cave. Seems like Cirion might be dominant at those times.

Spoiler for image size:

Spoiler

image.png.10bfeddfe64f580b2dbef3d82f553e98.png

Edited by purplehaze

I thought the Gold ones were boys and the blue ones girls, is this not true? All the gold ones I have are boys, just like TJs. Are the silvers both sexes? Or am I just having a weird coincidence? I am so lost, lol

20 hours ago, birdzgoboom said:

Enn1aau.png

Very cool to see the older sprites and the history behind their creation!

When I first saw the eggs I was very curious about the texture, I totally see the Starry Night influence so that's a super neat detail :)

20 hours ago, birdzgoboom said:

Enn1aau.png

holy moly wow, I can really see the starry night themes in there, plus the older sprites look so cool!

22 hours ago, birdzgoboom said:

Thank you very much for this info and congrats on the release, they are more than beautiful! I was planning to take a break from lineages but I think with Sonatas it will be hard to resist 💕

On another note I don't know if anyone has mentioned it before, but the blue and silver Sonata eggs remind me so much of a Nazar amulet 🧿 It's popular in Eastern Europe,Turkey and some other countries and meant to protect from the "Evil eye". 🤍

On 5/13/2023 at 11:02 PM, saltywench said:

Note: we don't actually know how the Sonata schedule works, so take this with a grain of salt. The moons move clockwise in the image, and every tick mark is one day.

The silver ones look almost like blue ones but a little grayer. It's easy to miss the color difference when they're eggs or hatchies. In TJ's preview post, you can see the text in the image has "A lunar eclipse is near" which meant silver eggs would spawn when the moons reach the planet's shadow. Unfortunately it's passed and no more silvers will appear until the next eclipse, so you have to wait or try your luck in the AP/trades.

We aren't sure if silvers will appear every moon cycle, but encyclopedia info says eclipses happen every 4 cycles so most likely it'll be another 120 days till the next silver period. They were only 100 in market at least, so hopefully they'll be easy to buy or catch next eclipse.

We don't currently know when golds stop spawning and blues start, but my guess is when the blue moon is "bigger" than the gold moon. Blues were available for a short time during the eclipse but have now vanished. If my prediction's right, they'll show up in 5-7 days while gold ones vanish.

Edited by Shadowdrake

3 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

If my prediction's right, they'll show up in 5-7 days while gold ones vanish.

I hope it happens that way. If the gold and blue are both available I will no doubt have a lot of misclicks trying to get 5 more of the blue ones!

16 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

If my prediction's right, they'll show up in 5-7 days while gold ones vanish.

12 hours ago, purplehaze said:

12 hours ago, purplehaze said:

I hope it happens that way. If the gold and blue are both available I will no doubt have a lot of misclicks trying to get 5 more of the blue ones!

Don't forget DC's 17th birthday is May 21st. You may want to keep some eggslots open for that.

How many of a breed do you have to have for it to show in the marketplace? I only got 1 blue...  Guessing from reading a bit that silvers show based on the moon?

57 minutes ago, TempestSea said:

How many of a breed do you have to have for it to show in the marketplace? I only got 1 blue...  Guessing from reading a bit that silvers show based on the moon?

I think you only have to have viewed the eggs.

It seems that the eggs only appear in the market during the moon phases when they are dropping in the cave. I don't believe we have determined the exact timing of the different colors. The gold seems to be around the most, since Aurax is the larger, dominant moon.

Now that's it's grown up and no longer at risk, i can share a funny code i got.  Silver sonata with the code (dam3G) and it just tickled me.😂

with 4 and 5g out there youd be pretty sad if you only picked of 3g service, lol.