TJ09

2023-02-14 - Happy Valentine's Day!

New dragons are stunning! Thank you, Schenanigans!
Many thanks also to those who created the game, and all who worked to put this holiday together. 💜

paintskills.png

I'm so sorry y'all I am the type of pixel artist that is terribly afraid of large scale art

I'm so excited to finally be able to share these guys with everyone!
I wish I could say I was the creative one who came up with their name, but sadly I cannot - I was discussing the history of chocolate with some dear friends and one shared a fun fact that "xocoatl/xocolatl" (the x pronounced with a sh sound) was mesoamerican hot chocolate, and I knew immediately what their name needed to be! Though as Lantean_Pegasus originally pointed out, the drink was not sweet - it was brewed with additives such as chili peppers, and was actually quite bitter. It could also be enjoyed hot OR cold!

These fellas were actually originally inspired by the Resplendent Quetzal. I have always wanted to see a green Valentine dragon, and the beautiful iridescent emerald coloration of these birds alongside their brilliant red chests were fundamental elements I wanted to add to the original design. The heart chest mark is admittedly quite on the nose, but that was an intended design element from the start. Graceful long feathers and extravagant tails were the final design element I borrowed from these gorgeous birds. 

And of course, I couldn't make something quetzal-like without taking inspiration from Quetzalcoatl, too :) Lantean_Pegasus also hit the nail on the head with this one!

Now some fun facts!

» These dragons are absolute chocolate fiends. Hatchlings prefer the sweeter varieties, but as they age their tastes also change, and adults often enjoy the more bitter variations of this treat

» They are absolutely useless in the romance department. If you ask a Xocoatl for advice on love affairs, they're just going to give you a quizzical look and tell you something along the lines of just follow your heart or some other generic nonsense 

» Their plumage is often seen as a sign of a good spring to come, and not only are their presences welcomed in settlements, they are also welcomed by farmers, with feathers being a good luck charm

» They are easily frightened but hard to anger; if you anger one you will know it, though, as they make the most horrendous shrieking sound when you do. For the sake of your neighbors, please don't do... that. 

» Though shy and are typically quite introverted, they most definitely enjoy their spring time spotlight. But this likely contributes to their reclusiveness for the rest of the year... 

Edited by schenanigans

as someone with Aztec ancestors, these have a special place in my heart and they’re absolutely gorgeous!  I can find no flaws and I apologize in advance to my two babies but y’all are getting impregnated by Shumoga and Pyrrhichios as soon as you grow up. 

congrats again, Schen 💚

The only downside of this gorgeous dragon, is that I can only have 2 of them until next year! 😂

They are absolutely stunning! I love the name and meaning behind the name as well! Quetacoatl for the win!

Edited by obsidian14

Thanks for the detail, Schen.

These dragons are amazing! Such detail without being overly busy! I love them. ❤️

These are gorgeous!  Awesome colors, love the head, face, and eyes, love the tail!  Wow!  Great job!  I have a z-lineage project going, and I don't think I'm breeding these until next year because I'd rather have these in the lineage than whatever I chose for a mate!  Truly love these!

Schenanigans! These dragons are gorgeous~ I’m absolutely in love with them. 😍🥰

They definitely reminded me of Quetzal, but also fused with a phoenix.

Thank you for sharing your art with us! 💛

I see Christmas colors immediately (did that with the eggs too), but that's how my brain works - give me red, green, gold, well there I go ... LOL 😊

LOVE them, especially the heart on the breast and their friendly face, they are so beautiful! Thanks Schenanigans and TJ!

😯😯😯 💕 "stunning" is exactly the word! that's the one that sprang to mind immediately and when i read through some of the comments, i saw i was not the only one. 💚💚 i deeply appreciate having a green valentines dragon, though i have no idea what i want to breed mine with yet - i'm very much looking forward to that thread opening.

i really love the description and all the thought that went into designing not just these dragons' physiques but their personalities. i've never found a dc dragon so relateable! i mean, someone with introvert/loner sensibilities and a sweet tooth, and who gets excited about spring being around the corner? hello! 😊

congratulations on your first solo in-cave release, @schenanigans ! it is a wonderfully memorable one. 💖 (thanks for choosing these, tj!)

Edited by miaou
i tyup gud :3

1 hour ago, schenanigans said:

paintskills.png

I'm so sorry y'all I am the type of pixel artist that is terribly afraid of large scale art

I wish I could say I was the creative one who came up with their name, but sadly I cannot - I was discussing the history of chocolate with some dear friends and one shared a fun fact that "xocoatl/xocolatl" (the x pronounced with a sh sound) was mesoamerican hot chocolate, and I knew immediately what their name needed to be! Though as Lantean_Pegasus originally pointed out, the drink was not sweet - it was brewed with additives such as chili peppers, and was actually quite bitter. It could also be enjoyed hot OR cold!

These fellas were actually originally inspired by the Resplendent Quetzal. I have always wanted to see a green Valentine dragon, and the beautiful iridescent emerald coloration of these birds alongside their brilliant red chests were fundamental elements I wanted to add to the original design. The heart chest mark is admittedly quite on the nose, but that was an intended design element from the start. Graceful long feathers and extravagant tails were the final design element I borrowed from these gorgeous birds. 

And of course, I couldn't make something quetzal-like without taking inspiration from Quetzalcoatl, too :) Lantean_Pegasus also hit the nail on the head with this one!

Now some fun facts!

» These dragons are absolute chocolate fiends. Hatchlings prefer the sweeter varieties, but as they age their tastes also change, and adults often enjoy the more bitter variations of this treat

» They are absolutely useless in the romance department. If you ask a Xocoatl for advice on love affairs, they're just going to give you a quizzical look and tell you something along the lines of just follow your heart or some other generic nonsense 

» Their plumage is often seen as a sign of a good spring to come, and not only are their presences welcomed in settlements, they are also welcomed by farmers, with feathers being a good luck charm

» They are easily frightened but hard to anger; if you anger one you will know it, though, as they make the most horrendous shrieking sound when you do. For the sake of your neighbors, please don't do... that. 

» Though shy and are typically quite introverted, they most definitely enjoy their spring time spotlight. But this likely contributes to their reclusiveness for the rest of the year... 

OH!  They... are... BEAUTEOUS!!!!!!

Thank you so much!  I love everything about them!  The brilliant green, the heart chest, the huge tail plume, their useless love advice, the origin story for giving chocolates... they're just... WOW.  The colors are so rich and vibrant, the face is like a clever birdie or a ball python and really friendly, the whole pose is joyous and shows off their plumage to its best advantage.  I can't wait to start planning lineages with them!

...as for the game... lol.  I think 600 is my GRAND high score on mobile; mostly, I'm scoring zeros.  ;)  I keep hitting things that don't seem to be in my way!  And then getting stuck in strings of consecutive crashes because of how long I'm frozen for. 

Edited by Kelkelen

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

Thanks for the detail, Schen.

These dragons are amazing! Such detail without being overly busy! I love them. ❤️

Me too - @schenanigansyou have done a wonderful job here.

25 minutes ago, miaou said:

i deeply appreciate having a green valentines dragon

HUH ? I wouldn't call them green... But it is nice to get away from all the PINK.

10 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Me too - @schenanigansyou have done a wonderful job here.

HUH ? I wouldn't call them green... But it is nice to get away from all the PINK.

schen referred to them as green in her post and i was going off of that. 😊 the wings and tail plume aren't green, though, so these probably won't color-sort green - but there's still enough green to make me happy. 💚

55 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I wouldn't call them green...

Well, there is definitely green on the wings.

Oh wow these adults are beautiful! Can’t wait until my own two grow up so i can have them on my scroll. Definitely going to collect as many 2g’s as i can find next year lol

The adults are so pretty!!!! And the lore for them, too! I love their color scheme and their feathers.

I’m a player who likes the cliche Valentine’s pink/reds, but deviations from the usual are good too! 

@schenanigansThank you for the backstory about these dragons! I love history (especially Native American history) so I enjoyed the history lesson you gave us about the origins of these dragons! I even had to look up Quetzalcoatl to learn more about him along with the stories about him in myths! I can't wait to see what they'll look like once my two grow up! They are currently in stage 1 but I'm sure in a few days time they'll grow up in no time! ❤️

I like these new Rainbow Featherdusters. 🌈 🐲 They can share my discount chocolate with me any day. 💚 

Thanks for the interesting lore too, schenanigans! :)

These are absolutely gorgeous! I am so pleased with the colors, pose, culture, just perfect! Thank you, schenanigans, and TJ as well, for sharing these new beauties with us!

💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖

6 hours ago, schenanigans said:

paintskills.png

Now some fun facts!

Everything you just said about them makes me love them even more!