TJ09

2023-02-14 - Happy Valentine's Day!

Oh my good gracious these...are....GORGEOUS!!!!! :wub: I think I have a new favorite dragon. Thank you so much for the AMAZING work on these!!!!! :wub:

Thank you Schenanigans for those gorgeous new dragons. They are phenomenal.  So beautiful.  And love the chocolate/love connection since I eat dark chocolate everyday. 😍

Thank you so much. 💖

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY EVERYONE 💖

Whoa those dragons are amazing. Chocolate fiends! xD Just perfect for the Valentine. Really beautiful.

OMG It's so beautiful!!!!!!! I love it. Im going to hoard them next year❤️😯 Im In love ❤️❤️❤️

I Love It Reaction GIF by Magic: The Gathering

Very beautiful! I know these guys are quetzal based but they also remind me of the hummingbirds that come to my feeder.

Ahhh, I LOVE the Xocoatls! I'd heard about Mesoamerican hot chocolate before, and it's such a neat concept for a Valentine's dragon. :wub:

Might breed them with my Coppers, since they're all named in Nahuatl.

12 hours ago, schenanigans said:

paintskills.png

I'm so sorry y'all I am the type of pixel artist that is terribly afraid of large scale art

I'm so excited to finally be able to share these guys with everyone!
I wish I could say I was the creative one who came up with their name, but sadly I cannot - I was discussing the history of chocolate with some dear friends and one shared a fun fact that "xocoatl/xocolatl" (the x pronounced with a sh sound) was mesoamerican hot chocolate, and I knew immediately what their name needed to be! Though as Lantean_Pegasus originally pointed out, the drink was not sweet - it was brewed with additives such as chili peppers, and was actually quite bitter. It could also be enjoyed hot OR cold!

These fellas were actually originally inspired by the Resplendent Quetzal. I have always wanted to see a green Valentine dragon, and the beautiful iridescent emerald coloration of these birds alongside their brilliant red chests were fundamental elements I wanted to add to the original design. The heart chest mark is admittedly quite on the nose, but that was an intended design element from the start. Graceful long feathers and extravagant tails were the final design element I borrowed from these gorgeous birds. 

And of course, I couldn't make something quetzal-like without taking inspiration from Quetzalcoatl, too :) Lantean_Pegasus also hit the nail on the head with this one!

Now some fun facts!

» These dragons are absolute chocolate fiends. Hatchlings prefer the sweeter varieties, but as they age their tastes also change, and adults often enjoy the more bitter variations of this treat

» They are absolutely useless in the romance department. If you ask a Xocoatl for advice on love affairs, they're just going to give you a quizzical look and tell you something along the lines of just follow your heart or some other generic nonsense 

» Their plumage is often seen as a sign of a good spring to come, and not only are their presences welcomed in settlements, they are also welcomed by farmers, with feathers being a good luck charm

» They are easily frightened but hard to anger; if you anger one you will know it, though, as they make the most horrendous shrieking sound when you do. For the sake of your neighbors, please don't do... that. 

» Though shy and are typically quite introverted, they most definitely enjoy their spring time spotlight. But this likely contributes to their reclusiveness for the rest of the year... 

They are LOVELY. Thank you for them!

So gorgeous! Thank you so much.

(And I don't care how cute you are, hatchies. Stay out of my chocolate stash girls or there is going to be trouble.)

It's been said a lot already, but it bears repeating: these new dragons are incredibly gorgeous! I love their lore too. Now, what to breed them with...

They're absolutely amazing!!! :wub::wub::wub: Can't wait for next year to start building an army of them (though I already dread how hard it's gonna be to find them on the AP). Thank you so much for this wonderful release!!! :D

3 hours ago, Caileh said:

Can't wait for next year to start building an army of them (though I already dread how hard it's gonna be to find them on the AP).

This! It is always hard enough to find the most recent eggs in the AP and they are grabbed up so fast! With all the love these are getting I am sure we will all be scrambling for them! Good luck, everyone!

Very nice sprites but I’ve got to say the colors do not fit or read as “Valentine’s dragon” at all. They look like just a normal, albeit nice, regular release. I’m honestly pretty disappointed. 
The “lore”/description alone does not make a holiday dragon, it has to visually fit into the theme as well. Valentine’s as a holiday has very set and recognizable colors first and foremost, and without them it feels very forced to call this a Valentine’s dragon. 
Just my opinion. 

I've always sucked at paperboy but the minigame is still very fun!

I love the new dragon, it's so colorful! The heart shape on the chest is a cute touch.

Many thanks to TJ and Schenanigans for their work. :)

6 hours ago, blackfirewarrior said:

Very nice sprites but I’ve got to say the colors do not fit or read as “Valentine’s dragon” at all. They look like just a normal, albeit nice, regular release. I’m honestly pretty disappointed. 
The “lore”/description alone does not make a holiday dragon, it has to visually fit into the theme as well. Valentine’s as a holiday has very set and recognizable colors first and foremost, and without them it feels very forced to call this a Valentine’s dragon. 
Just my opinion. 

you're welcome to your opinion, ofc. but i have to chime in to say the colors absolutely read as valentines to me! i don't give candies at valentines but i do give (live, potted) plants. even though the xocoatls were inspired by a bird not plants, their coloring is very much in line with the tropical and other flowering plants i've given for valentines through the years. 💚💚💚

ofc that's just my (joyful) opinion. 😊

and @Sunfeathers - now that you've said it, i definitely see the xocoatls in the hummingbirds i'm watching out tbe window now, right down to the sweet tooth! :D