TJ09

2021-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 15th Birthday!

9 hours ago, Fyrebird said:

Congrats! That is in fact the rarest color for now (yours makes the 9th one I know of, not counting TJ's.

Oop, I have one if its not already included in your count. Here.

I also have one of the new Purple Alstro, too. I would have bred more, but I need to hoard more Florets. XD

4 hours ago, FoxintheBox4 said:

Pink Sapphires impossible to obtain as CBs mechanics, and eliminating Blue Sapphires from AP...

I completely understand your frustration, but just in case there is some confusion here I want to point out this isn't exactly true. CB pink Sapphires will be harder to obtain than 'regular' CBs, but they aren't impossible, people do toss CB Sapphires to the AP and people have been grabbing CB pinks from there. Blue Sapphires will still be in the AP as well, since auto-abandoning doesn't turn them pink, and abandoning a blue Sapphire hatchling seems to keep the blue as well. It *does* make it impossible to get *CB* blue Sapphires from the AP, though. 

I made my first yellow Sapphie!! So excited that I was able to turn it as an egg, my dragons usually get well over 4k views before they are grown so I figured I'd make it more of a challenge and see if I could get it to turn before it hatched.  (for statistics sake, it was still blue at 4,069 and then at 4,071 it was yellow.)

Edited by HeatherMarie

Now THIS is when I'm going to use precog. I've got one hatched and one still in the egg that could be a mate. Got them in the market because I've yet to catch one in cave or AP, and I wanted multiples around the same age for my first (and possibly only) earthquake.

And I'm amused that, with three eggs, I got three of the four possible outcomes. Wonder if I'd have had one hatch and run away if I'd bought four?

Plus now I can go enrage that aegis.

Rats! I can't precog or it'll change color. I guess I pray to the Random Number Goddess.

Wait, yes I can precog the hatchie, just not the egg. I may swear off cantos after this; they're too complicated.

Edited by Fyrebird
Canto rules give me a headache.

Sent three new 2G pb sapphires (all turned pink) to the AP. They were all hatched around 10:56-10:58 am EDT, in case anyone would like to track the time in order to figure out when they'll make it to the front page.

Edited by Rhikasa

So far all my peach Alstro breedings have given peachy eggs. Can't wait for more of them to grow up so I can try for something else!

I'm not quite as unhappy about this release as I was in the beginning. And I see a lot of people enjoying it, so that is good. The dragons are all lovely, but I am still frustrated with the difficulty of obtaining them.

Pink Sapphires will probably go in my "don't even think about it" category of scroll goals. Ordinarily my scroll goals are 8 CBs of each breed or variant of a breed. That just seems unattainable for me any time in the next year or five. So they will class for now with CB Prizes and Stats.

Hybrids and breed-onlies I am not as strict on scroll goals, so those don't worry me too much and are probably more attainable if I choose to try. I love the green Nilias and am already working on a lineage with them -- checker with Dusk Pygmies. Same for the new Coppers -- checker with Astrapi.

Gemshards and Cantors have disappeared from the biomes for me right now. I never did see them frequently, but I have only seen one Cantor since the release and of course I missed it -- no Gemshards. I expect with time the demand for those will decrease and I will eventually be able to reach my goals, but it will take a long time -- I have still not even achieved my goals for the original Cantors. Then with the Gemshards there is the necessity for picking them up on the right day of the week, although I admit that is much less frustrating than relying on RNG to give me what I need. Prices in the hub are currently out of reach for me, too, so I will just have to be patient and hope for the best.

Thanks to TJ and the creators of these dragons. I greatly admire all the art -- just wish some of them were more attainable.

Edited by purplehaze

Ouch! Burned two of my precious fertility (didn't collect purples so don't have many) and then the nilias don't show much interest in each other. This from a pair that produced offspring in the past.

47 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Pink Sapphires will probably go in my "don't even think about it" category of scroll goals. Ordinarily my scroll goals are 8 CBs of each breed or variant of a breed. That just seems unattainable for me any time in the next year or five. So they will class for now with CB Prizes and Stats.

Ha, green Cantors are the ones from this release going on my 'nope, not gonna happen' list. The others I can get with patience and/or luck, and easier since I don't care about CBs, but this whole EQ this is just totally not my thing. Maybe I'll decide it's worth it to really try hard for them after awhile, but EQ being so risky and me not willing to put my catching on stand-still so I'll only have Cantors to risk... Also the fact that among all the EQ-successes being reported here when the mechanics were first figured out I ended up with only dead eggs. *grumbles*

36 minutes ago, Fyrebird said:

Ouch! Burned two of my precious fertility (didn't collect purples so don't have many) and then the nilias don't show much interest in each other. This from a pair that produced offspring in the past.

Woah, that's super bad luck. Another frustrating thing about this release. Using *two* important BSA dragons and getting nothing to show for it at all... Dang. At the very least I think this new mechanic deserves a decrease in cooldown for Fertility, being forced to use up *two* valuable BSAs and getting nothing and then having to wait 2 weeks for them to come off cooldown seems like a little too much imo. 

It looks like overall my favorites this release are the Gemshards and Sapphires. Gemshards because omg the colors!!! plus finally getting rid of the randomness of the colors. And Sapphires just because I adore those sprites and the yellow mechanic is kind of fun.

Hope this hasn't already been asked, but a couple of searches didn't turn anything up.  Can the Stun BSA be used on frozen hatchies?  I realize in normal circumstances that wouldn't make sense, but could I freeze an Electric hatchie and use Stun on it later?

6 minutes ago, Strick said:

Hope this hasn't already been asked, but a couple of searches didn't turn anything up.  Can the Stun BSA be used on frozen hatchies?  I realize in normal circumstances that wouldn't make sense, but could I freeze an Electric hatchie and use Stun on it later?

Actually, I don't think anybody has tried that. Not that I recall, anyway. My gut says no, because I think once frozen a hatchling can't be changed.

Edit: and the answer is... it can't be done.  Frozen hatchlings don't show up on the list of potential targets for the stun.

Edited by Fyrebird
Tried it; no can do.

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

That's exactly how I decided to cope with this situation (only my goals are 6 CB). I caught 1 messy Pink, named it 'Token Pink Sapphire' and that's all the representation they are getting on my scroll. I'm done! :)

As for Cantors and Gemshards it's the same for me - they are gone right now, but getting them is just a matter of time so.... *shrug*

Edited by natli

Well, I've just bred eight Cantors, influenced and incubated, here's hoping I don't end up with eight dead eggs in a couple of days!

I so want those Greens - I only have one!

CB pink Sapphires are impossible for regular adults and looks like they will be for many months or years unless Infinis and TJ do add the second neglect alike obtain way.
Neither me or my gf or her cousin can get one in ANY way, and my gf would breed more really PB pinks to AP a lot if only she ever had them. And people trading those ask for things neither of us can possibly provide in a trade. 
Oh my, I'm gonna hear so much frustration over this from my gf^^;

26 minutes ago, Fyrebird said:

Actually, I don't think anybody has tried that. Not that I recall, anyway. My gut says no, because I think once frozen a hatchling can't be changed.

Edit: and the answer is... it can't be done.  Frozen hatchlings don't show up on the list of potential targets for the stun.

Thought that might me the case.  Thanks for checking!

38 minutes ago, Quinney said:

Well, I've just bred eight Cantors, influenced and incubated, here's hoping I don't end up with eight dead eggs in a couple of days!

I so want those Greens - I only have one!

Good luck with your group. It seems you are doing exactly what I did, and I ended up with 6/6. The Motus are lovely, and I still feel so lucky that all survived. Mine had stage 5 holes and were at 4d7h.  I'll keep fingers and toes crossed for you. :)

Can anyone tell/message me the time mechanics for Gemshards please? I can't find what it is 

7 minutes ago, MysticMusician said:

Can anyone tell/message me the time mechanics for Gemshards please? I can't find what it is 

Here it is. Image is from a master list of the birthday release dragons done by another DC user, I forget who right at the moment.

23TgRAp.png

2 minutes ago, BringsTheSnow said:

Here it is. Image is from a master list of the birthday release dragons done by another DC user, I forget who right at the moment.

23TgRAp.png

Thank you! Does the same apply to CB eggs and Eggs Purchased? So I just purchased a Gemshard egg today, it will be red?

3 minutes ago, MysticMusician said:

Thank you! Does the same apply to CB eggs and Eggs Purchased? So I just purchased a Gemshard egg today, it will be red?

Yes, the same applies to both.

23 minutes ago, dragongrrl said:

Good luck with your group. It seems you are doing exactly what I did, and I ended up with 6/6. The Motus are lovely, and I still feel so lucky that all survived. Mine had stage 5 holes and were at 4d7h.  I'll keep fingers and toes crossed for you. :)

Thank you! Never done this many before, it just happened that other eggs more or less hatched together, so I thought 'why not'?!  I have everything crossed!

Speaking of motus, does the amount of views have any effect on the EQ outcome? Say my cantor egg at 4d 0h has a view count of 1/1/1 and I use EQ - can it still hatch (and possibly run away) or will it only be unaffected at best? I figure it's a stupid question and there's some catch I'm missing, but it's been on my mind since I started trying to wrap my head around how I'm gonna get 8 CB cantor eggs and bring all of them them down to a safe EQ time (below 5 days I guess) simultaneously. 

14 minutes ago, BrownWolf said:

Speaking of motus, does the amount of views have any effect on the EQ outcome? Say my cantor egg at 4d 0h has a view count of 1/1/1 and I use EQ - can it still hatch (and possibly run away) or will it only be unaffected at best? I figure it's a stupid question and there's some catch I'm missing, but it's been on my mind since I started trying to wrap my head around how I'm gonna get 8 CB cantor eggs and bring all of them them down to a safe EQ time (below 5 days I guess) simultaneously. 

It *can* hatch in that instance, I think, but in general the idea is lower time plus large hole, so you've got the lower time part there but with barely any stats it's not as good odds as if it had enough stats to have cracks or a hole. 

Well, I just bred some PB Sapphires while egg-locked, so all of them were blue when they booted to the AP. I think I'll plan on doing this for the foreseen future, with some small hope that the Good Karma will help me snag a CB Pink Sapphire or two at some point... Honestly, I can understand why people are upset or less than enthused about this release, but for myself, I'm excited to have some long-term goals to work on. I've basically only needed CB Neglecteds for a long time now (and like, things that are out of my hands, like CB prizes -- and even there, I did win one prize once!), keeping up with other releases pretty well, and it's nice to have something to keep working on for a while that isn't one of my own projects or hoards. *shrug* That's me, though, and to each their own.

3 minutes ago, BrownWolf said:

My plan, based on what others said in the EQ thread, was to Incubate, Influence and hide my 6 Market Cantos for the first day, stats 0/0/0.

Next, I placed them in four hatcheries, AoND, VS, EDS and DH. I fogged when I went to bed so they could rest, then put them back in the hatcheries.

When they developed the stage 5 holes at 4d7h,  I fogged them again, sent an egg I didn't want to risk away, then Quaked. 5 hatched and one was unaffected, but later hatched green.

I do not know what the o/u/c stats were when they hatched with the Quake.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your babies! :)

Boy, DC sure has started doing a lot of Latin-based/real world names for a game that is so strict about "real world" descriptions. I'll stick to "green Cantor", "purple new Floret", etc.,

21 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

It *can* hatch in that instance, I think, but in general the idea is lower time plus large hole, so you've got the lower time part there but with barely any stats it's not as good odds as if it had enough stats to have cracks or a hole. 

Ah, you've got a point there. Forgot it's not only time, but also stage that matters when calculating the odds. Thanks for reminding me, gonna need to rethink my plans a bit.