TJ09

2021-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 15th Birthday!

I could only catch two 3rd gens pink sapphires from the AP. Nice lineages, but I am still after at least two cb ones :( 

On the other side, my eq'ed cantos hatched green :D 

Has anybody bred - or even seen - one of the pink/peach/lesbian Iris Florets?

2 minutes ago, Confused Cat said:

Nope. I have been scouring the hatcheries trying to unlock my encyclopedia and have found none.

23 minutes ago, Confused Cat said:

I saw one egg in the AP yesterday.  I meant to say, in a hatchery.

Edited by Pourlemoment

2 hours ago, Laura-Borealis said:

I named him Ea-Nasir, after the Mesopotamian who was selling bad copper to his customers 4,000 years ago.

XD Perfect.

3 hours ago, Laura-Borealis said:

Don't feel bad, I let one get to adulthood before realizing he was a rainbow after all.

I named him Ea-Nasir, after the Mesopotamian who was selling bad copper to his customers 4,000 years ago. (wikipedia)

That's quite brilliant and so very YOU !

I bred me a 2 gen sapphire from my two yellow CBs and forgot about him, He turned yellow and died. Oops. This was not my greatest day !

37 minutes ago, Confused Cat said:

I am aware of 6* besides TJ's. It is clearly the rare variant. I'm hoping that other people are as in love with these as I am, and continue to breed them, even if they are only breeding to get the rare color.

*None are mine. Four are currently at s2, one at s1, and the most recent (announced in this thread) still an egg.

3 hours ago, Laura-Borealis said:

Don't feel bad, I let one get to adulthood before realizing he was a rainbow after all.

I named him Ea-Nasir, after the Mesopotamian who was selling bad copper to his customers 4,000 years ago. (wikipedia)

This made me way too happy, lol. Perfect name!

59 minutes ago, Confused Cat said:

I haven't. I searched in the hatcheries late last night (roughly 1-3am DC-time) and didn't see a single one. If I hadn't seen it confirmed here I'd wonder if they were able to be bred at all yet. 

The pink Sapphires are frustrating right now, both because of their specific mechanic and because they are so new. Just like any other release, it will calm down eventually and they'll become a semi-regular fixture in the AP just like all other non-rares. It will be harder to get a lot of CBs because of their mechanic, but as usual patience is key and I really can't see these becoming ultra-rares for good. The release hype has yet to die down, really.

Not sure if anyone already suggested this, but on the topic of how difficult it is to tell the Coppers apart... maybe this could be solved by putting the name of the variant on their page, the same way as it is done with the Xenowyrms? So instead of "Copper Dragon" it would say e.g. "Copper Dragon (Rainbow)" etc. That way the art can stay as it is.

So, I've committed to my first earthquake in roughly 3 days, by buying 3 cantomaris eggs from the Market.

So, only AP eggs for me until then. The other eggs on my scroll will all hatch in the next day (well, maybe 2 days for the siyat I'm fogging so it will be purple).

Good news: got two yellow sapphires 

Bad news: forgot to precog and both went female XD

Ah well, bought two more from the Market who I've influnced male and am going to turn. Speaking of turning Yellows - do we have an idea of the minimum number of views? I thought it was like 4,200 but I had one turn at 4,035.

3 hours ago, daba555 said:

And as always, just to make a liar out of me, the universe gave me one.  I am looking for a CB Skysilk, and so then clicked on a sapphire and go tit - after days of misses.

Thank you, universe.

i'm still at none haha XD 

and i don't have a ton of time to sit and refresh the ap, and sometimes i miss them because theres 60-80 people on the ap at all times... even with my fast internet it's tough :( very disheartening.. i dont even understand why they should be abandon ONLY... as others have said i really wish there was some other way to get them independently. even lore-wise it doesnt make a lot of sense why abandoning one would turn it pink but depriving it of views otherwise wouldnt..

2 hours ago, purplehaze said:

but I really don't think anyone should expect that all of us will do that.

This. 

Those that are gifting to the AP the market sapphires are very generous. In the same manner though, "gift" implies you shouldn't expect anything in return. Getting angry that others aren't doing the same thing is like getting angry at people for EQ'ing their eggs; not everyone is going to play the same way.

The mechanic itself already has a lot of people salty since EVERYONE has to rely on each other being generous enough to create a constant surplus of pinks to give everyone opportunity. And I can see a lot of people are getting burnt out with trying to get pink sapphires. We're all forced to rely on people to either catch or buy CBs and toss them, then we have to play, essentially, the lottery (clicking fast enough, being there at the right time, etc). And it's worse when people are expecting everyone to do the same. It's a nice idea but 200 shards an egg and HOPING maybe you can catch one if enough people do the same isn't...a fun implementation. I'm saving for another Statrae...after I bought two pairs of gemshards. But again, spending shards to gift to the AP is still a GIFT, this isn't viable in the long run, after this release is over there's not going to be a "refresh" and see a pink in the AP every few minutes, I'd say we're already getting there, I seen one pink in one hour (couldn't grab it). Since I can't find CBs and I'm saving shards, I'm breeding holidays and APing them. While I'd want them for myself, maybe I'll get one at some point. 

Tldr: Spending shards to dump market sapphires is great in theory, but how long can or will people sustain doing it before the pink sapphire well dries up? And also telling people what to do with their shards is isn't right either. 

Edited by BlitzDrake

46 minutes ago, ShorahNagi said:

Good news: got two yellow sapphires 

Bad news: forgot to precog and both went female XD

Thank you so much for telling us about this!  Otherwise I'd have done the same thing.  😄

1 hour ago, JudithC said:

Thank you so much for telling us about this!  Otherwise I'd have done the same thing.  😄

Wow, you people who precog regularly just amaze me. As in, I am in awe of how many aeons you must have. I have tons of pinks and only 2 aeons. I save my aeons for special occasions such as the zyu I just traded for that's already a hatchie and I really need it to be female — it is, thank goodness! Or when I'm trading away a stairstep egg and precog it to show it will gender correctly since any influence would be lost during the trade.

If I have two eggs I want to make into a pair, I just influence them both. Pinks are cheap.

18 minutes ago, Fyrebird said:

If I have two eggs I want to make into a pair, I just influence them both. Pinks are cheap.

Me too ! I save precog for when I desperately need it.

I found this event a little overwhelming at first (so. many. dragons.) but it's been really fun! And the dragons are just 😍😍 

I think the new mechanics are doing a neat job at pushing people out of their normal playstyles a bit. I know I at least have never used earthquake before, and now that I've tried the mechanic it's nowhere near as scary as I'd made it out to be. 

(Belated) Happy Birthday to dragcave, and thank you to everyone involved!! 

12 hours ago, Confused Cat said:

I managed to breed one: https://dragcave.net/lineage/1mclY

Edit: Fogged for safety over the night for now. For anybody curious, the parents are a male purple Iris (old) Floret and a female peach Alstro (new) Floret

Edit2: Unfogged again

Edited by TheDoggy

2 minutes ago, TheDoggy said:

I managed to breed one: https://dragcave.net/lineage/1mclY

Gorgeous!

Okay, question, have we arrived at common terminology for all of the Floret variations? I'm getting ready to put mine on my Z'code spreadsheet and I'd like to name them "correctly" there.

57 minutes ago, Fyrebird said:

Wow, you people who precog regularly just amaze me. As in, I am in awe of how many aeons you must have. I have tons of pinks and only 2 aeons. I save my aeons for special occasions such as the zyu I just traded for that's already a hatchie and I really need it to be female — it is, thank goodness! Or when I'm trading away a stairstep egg and precog it to show it will gender correctly since any influence would be lost during the trade.

Same here! I have enough Aeons but I still see precog as one of those 'only if really needed' BSAs. I think I use them more often for Cantor-coloring than for actual gender stuff nowadays. 

12 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Gorgeous!

Okay, question, have we arrived at common terminology for all of the Floret variations? I'm getting ready to put mine on my Z'code spreadsheet and I'd like to name them "correctly" there.

I'm curious about this too. I've changed my old-Florets in my spreadsheets to reflect the new 'Iris' designation, but I'm not completely sure what to call the colorings. I'd earlier thought to just go by egg-color, but for instance the brown egg is definitely more of a 'gold' adult. 

13 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Okay, question, have we arrived at common terminology for all of the Floret variations?

Errr, not that I know of (unless somebody made a floret-specific thread that I don't know about).

The only thing we all have agreed on (with spriter input) is that the old ones are iris body style and the new ones are called the alstro (short for alstroemeria, which I can finally spell) body style. That's just us, though; it's not on the enclopedia page, which refers to both of the breeds as simply Floret Wyverns with absolutely no disambiguation even though it's two pages, and two (identical) entries on filter lists.

On the experiment spreadsheet, they were called Iris and Alstro, each with pink, purple, and gold variants.

I like to refer to them by their egg color, as that gives me six simple names for 2 x 3 varieties: purple/gold/berry for the iris, and peach/bronze/lilac for the alstros.

I don't know of anybody else using berry. Lots of people use peach but some use pink. Some prefer periwinkle to lilac.

3 minutes ago, Fyrebird said:

I don't know of anybody else using berry. Lots of people use peach but some use pink. 

I have seen them being called wine or magenta 😂

Edited by TheDoggy
Typos. I swear I can write