TJ09

2021-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 15th Birthday!

4 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I completely understand your frustration, but just in case there is some confusion here I want to point out this isn't exactly true. CB pink Sapphires will be harder to obtain than 'regular' CBs, but they aren't impossible, people do toss CB Sapphires to the AP and people have been grabbing CB pinks from there. Blue Sapphires will still be in the AP as well, since auto-abandoning doesn't turn them pink, and abandoning a blue Sapphire hatchling seems to keep the blue as well. It *does* make it impossible to get *CB* blue Sapphires from the AP, though.

They are impossible to get by yourself - that's the point. With the orange Cantomaris, that is now 2 breeds you cannot get without someone else's interaction. I have considered stopping to play over this release - only didn't because my scroll still is relatively complete and it'd be a shame to let all the invested time go to waste. But over time, habit isn't enough of a motivation to deal with all those mechanics that force you to rely on other players.

(I don't know how to edit my previous response to include the quote below, so posting again, I hope this is okay.)

34 minutes ago, dragongrrl said:

My plan, based on what others said in the EQ thread, was to Incubate, Influence and hide my 6 Market Cantos for the first day, stats 0/0/0.

Next, I placed them in four hatcheries, AoND, VS, EDS and DH. I fogged when I went to bed so they could rest, then put them back in the hatcheries.

When they developed the stage 5 holes at 4d7h,  I fogged them again, sent an egg I didn't want to risk away, then Quaked. 5 hatched and one was unaffected, but later hatched green.

I do not know what the o/u/c stats were when they hatched with the Quake.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your babies! :)

That's a pretty solid plan you had, glad it worked nicely, too. I assume those 5 hatched green? Anyway, congrats!

My problem is that I have no one to temporarily hold my eggs while I EQ the Cantors and I usually prefer to be egg-locked, so the only good option for me is to fill all the 8 slots with Cantor eggs. Would also save me some additional Cantor EQ'ing in the near future, if the success rate was high.

Another thing is that I want them to be CB (kinda prefer them to the market ones + I'm saving for a Stat Xeno), and with the recent (or usual?) demand for them in the biomes it might be challenging to collect all 8 in a single day, much less around the same time, which means I'll have varying times-till-death on each of them. This could make it hard to manage them while trying to maximize my odds of a successful EQ. It's certainly doable, of course! Just gonna require some planning and it'll probably be good to wait until the Cantor frenzy cools off a bit (if it ever does, haha).

But I appreciate the kind words! It's cool to learn about the strategies different people utilize, you can always learn something new and useful for your own experimenting :) 

Do we know if Pennybright Coppers can breed true, or do they need to be bred to an electric-aspect dragon?

1 minute ago, High Lord November said:

Do we know if Pennybright Coppers can breed true, or do they need to be bred to an electric-aspect dragon?

Mine are both male because I am planning a checker with them, so I can't test them to see. I don't recall seeing anything here about that.

My three alt florets 

one two three

They can be listed on the spreadsheet if need be. 

1 hour ago, Rally Vincent said:

They are impossible to get by yourself - that's the point. With the orange Cantomaris, that is now 2 breeds you cannot get without someone else's interaction. I have considered stopping to play over this release - only didn't because my scroll still is relatively complete and it'd be a shame to let all the invested time go to waste. But over time, habit isn't enough of a motivation to deal with all those mechanics that force you to rely on other players.

Yes.
And even with the orange Cantos I have my gf and she has me, with everything else we can always use the Market to get whatever CB if needed. 
it's only the pink Sapphires none of us can do anything about no matter how tightly we'd cooperate, and relying on other players abandoning CBs? that's a huge problem. Few generous forum users won't sustain the entire playerbase and its needs for the CBs in the end. 
Right now it's much more realistic to get 10 CB Golds than 2 CB pink Sapphires. And it doesn't feel right.

Edited by Meh

If I breed the two old colors of florets together I get either parent color but nothing else? Just checking.

16 hours ago, Fyrebird said:

Congrats! That is in fact the rarest color for Since the existing purples and golds sometimes throw the other color, it will be interesting to see whether, for example, a bronze x bronze breeds true, breeds random, or defaults back to peach. Will a purple iris x purple alstro give a purple, or again give a random color? Will peach alstro continue to be the most common result, or is that just because it's the newest cb egg and the cave is trying to achieve balance?

Ok. Apparently my purple iris x bronze alstro pair gave me a purple alstro. https://dragcave.net/lineage/hCbGP i'd love it if someone would add this to the spreadsheet!

Edited by ylangylang

10 minutes ago, Wiz said:

If I breed the two old colors of florets together I get either parent color but nothing else? Just checking.

That is our experience so far.

1 minute ago, ylangylang said:

Ok. Apparently my purple iris x bronze alstro pair gave me a purple alstro. https://dragcave.net/lineage/hCbGP i'd love it if someone would add this to the spreadsheet!

Excellent! Finally, a third generation! I'm so excited!

Jeeze I wish this release wasn't so damned hard to get! Only normal Florets, won't deal with Cantos, Hafta BUY Gemshards, and can't get a decently lineaged Pink Sapphire (the ONE I have is messy and I'm kinda picky). So - frustrated. Yeh.

Just FYI to those trying EQ for motus, I did mine with hardly any views and no cracks. They don't have to hatch or even be ready to hatch to turn. I felt safer doing it earlier and hoping for the 'unaffected' message. I got three motus that way, they made it and all hatched green. It doesn't have to be fiddly with views and cracks to get them. ^.^

I just saw someone mention "threshold for fun" in another thread. I think that is what I have been saying all along. This release just exceeded my threshold for fun (which will of course be different for all players). I will try to get these dragons, because that is what I do. But I am not having fun doing it.

Every other chance I get, I'll try to breed my Sapphys and drop their eggs to the AP to turn pink, and I'll try to keep the mates either PB or with holidays so it'll be easier for people to make checker lines. I normally do as I please with lineages, but considering how hard pink Sapphys are to get, I'll do my best to balance it for others. Even after this thread closes and the release wave dies down.

It has been hard to grab them, and the only CB I did snag, I gave to a friend, but I managed to catch 3 of my own, though all of those were 2G, one of which is PB. 

I'm not complaining, it's nice to actually have a challenge every once in a while, instead of the usual, "Here's your new eggs. They're found here, and these hybrids are bred with these. Grab your share and see you next month!" 

All it means for me is I'll have to visit the AP more often than I normally do. No biggie. I'll get lucky and find one when I least expect it, and that might be when I need to be cheered up, or it'll make a good day even better.

I'm just happy I was able to join in the fun to buy some market Sapphys and gift them to the AP to turn pink, to try and help add to the CB pink Sapphys out there. I only wish I could have gifted more than 3, but trying to save some shards for some of the more trickier breeds to get. And I want more of those Cyan and Purple gemshards. (so pretty omg.... ❤️ )

As for the EQ Cantos, I'm actually kinda glad for their mechanic. It's a risk, sure but it's made me more confident and knowledgeable in using Earthquake. I had only used it once prior, and it was a failure, resulting in the death of eggs and it left me Quake-shy ever since. Just like with Vampires there is a risk, but the reward can be very much worth it.

All in all, this was a great B-day event and a really nice release. Despite a few hiccups here and there. I was feeling a little sour within the first few hours of the event, but I'm really happy now after things have calmed down and been sorted and figured out. I'm blaming my sour mood then on the confusion. 

I gets a widdle snippy when confused. My bad for that if any of it showed itself here. ^_^;

Not sure how much longer this'll remain open, but if I haven't said it recently, thank you again, TJ, Spriters, and all the talented peeps who made this release possible. You guys rock!

PS: Seeing all the kindness in this thread really made me smile, and is part of why I loved this release so much. :wub:

Hey, nice people!  I don't know if anyone has mentioned, and there's way too much thread for lazy me to look through, but my bestie mentioned something I feel bad for not thinking of myself.  If we veteran DCers have been having frustrations with this Birthday Project, imagine how newbies who have this as their first DC birthday are feeling.  The only part they could reliably do is grab the new Florets, as long as they didn't miss the flood.  The rest of it relies on dragons they likely don't have yet, and all those BSAs...  Ouch. 

On the subject of floods, lovely staffers, you'd be doing those of us who work and aren't on Eastern US time a solid if you'd go ahead and make all the floods last 24 hours.  That includes the ones that happen on weekends because there are countries where people work on Saturday (eg, India) or Sunday (eg, Israel), and I'm guessing this is an international community.

As long as I'm throwing ideas out there - For a future DC birthday (or something), might we get a dragon decorating event?  We'd get outlines and eye placement for a bunch of dragons, and we could go to town coloring them in.  The mechanism for coloring is already there from the cookie decorating event, though smaller brushes would be nice for those of us who love detail.  Just a thought.

2 hours ago, purplehaze said:

I just saw someone mention "threshold for fun" in another thread. I think that is what I have been saying all along. This release just exceeded my threshold for fun (which will of course be different for all players). I will try to get these dragons, because that is what I do. But I am not having fun doing it.

That is a wonderful way to put it. Threshold for fun. At a certain point it turns from a fun challenge to just too much to be fun, and this release with so many new complicated mechanics seems to have passed that threshold for many. 

2 hours ago, Syiren said:

I gets a widdle snippy when confused. My bad for that if any of it showed itself here. ^_^;

Oh goodness me too! I try to be really careful about what I post when I'm confused/upset/frustrated because I know I can come across 'snippy' without even realizing it. *hugs!*

18 minutes ago, JudithC said:

Hey, nice people!  I don't know if anyone has mentioned, and there's way too much thread for lazy me to look through, but my bestie mentioned something I feel bad for not thinking of myself.  If we veteran DCers have been having frustrations with this Birthday Project, imagine how newbies who have this as their first DC birthday are feeling.  The only part they could reliably do is grab the new Florets, as long as they didn't miss the flood.  The rest of it relies on dragons they likely don't have yet, and all those BSAs...  Ouch. 

On the subject of floods, lovely staffers, you'd be doing those of us who work and aren't on Eastern US time a solid if you'd go ahead and make all the floods last 24 hours.  That includes the ones that happen on weekends because there are countries where people work on Saturday (eg, India) or Sunday (eg, Israel), and I'm guessing this is an international community.

I can't even imagine how newbies are feeling with this release. I think about that in general a lot, newer players or players who don't have access to the forums are often just left out in the cold with these types of mechanics, heck if you don't know about the *unofficial* wiki and can't get on the forums it could be months before you figure these things out. I absolutely cherish all the cooperation and experimenting that goes on in the news thread with these type of new mechanics, but I also see how lost it must make some people who don't have that to fall back on. 

The biggest issue with longer floods, especially full 24-hour floods, is that such a large amount of flooding may mean that new breed becomes *super* hard to get after that flood stops. Way harder than it currently is. We used to have much longer floods a long time ago and that was a serious issue for some breeds. 24-hour flood is a great idea to give different timezones a better chance at catching at least one or two right away, but anyone who simply misses the day of the release will have the same issue as now *plus* the breed might become really hard to get for months after. I do think a slight increase in flood time, like maybe a guaranteed 12 hours, would be nice though.

59 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

We used to have much longer floods a long time ago and that was a serious issue for some breeds. 24-hour flood is a great idea to give different timezones a better chance at catching at least one or two right away, but anyone who simply misses the day of the release will have the same issue as now *plus* the breed might become really hard to get for months after. I do think a slight increase in flood time, like maybe a guaranteed 12 hours, would be nice though.

I recall the long floods...and all the conplaints that came with them. And even with a longer flood, there's no guarantee a player would be around during said time [ex. These releases start at Midnight for me. The earliest I may see of them is 4am...that's already 4 hours of time lost]

If it wasn't for the fact it might be a coding nightmare and potentially unfair...I'd question if it was possible to have floods happen at different times in different time zones.

For example (just using the four main timezones of the US and some even amounts of hours): Eastern drop runs from 6am to 12pm, central drop from 12pm to 6pm, mountain from 6pm to 12am, and Pacific from 12am to 6am.

This way, everyone has a chance to be part of the flood, no matter where they are. Of course, as I said there would be...the problems that come with this are people using Proxy/VPNs to be part of longer drops. Or People not seeing the same CB eggs (or AP eggs) at the same time [so it's great that Central time gets the new egg flood, but while only seeing those eggs Eastern, Mountain, and Pacific all had two or three CB golds show up]

But even with that, some of the other issues I've seen brought up here still would remain [unable to find/catch new release eggs due to work/school, slow internet, etc.]

All we can really do at this time is just sit back and wait and see what happens as this release hype dies down (notice now the main breeds mentioned are the Florets and Sapphires as being the 'must have' breeds)

Just bred and dropped a few Pink Sapphires into the AP! I've been breeding mine with Blusangs- I did it even before the adult sprite was revealed, and they look very similar in the lineage. :') Still haven't managed to catch a CB, but here's to hoping! (ง'̀-'́)ง

I just bred and abandoned 5 2nd gen Sapphires. Not purebreds (except for one blue Sapphire x pink Sapphire), but hopefully people will like the mates I used. I breed a lot of my Sapphires with Aeons because I like the combination but 3 of those gave me Aeon eggs tonight instead of Sapphires! So there are some nice Aeons out there, too, even though that wasn't exactly what I was hoping for.

9 hours ago, BrownWolf said:

(I don't know how to edit my previous response to include the quote below, so posting again, I hope this is okay.)

That's a pretty solid plan you had, glad it worked nicely, too. I assume those 5 hatched green? Anyway, congrats!

My problem is that I have no one to temporarily hold my eggs while I EQ the Cantors and I usually prefer to be egg-locked, so the only good option for me is to fill all the 8 slots with Cantor eggs. Would also save me some additional Cantor EQ'ing in the near future, if the success rate was high.

Another thing is that I want them to be CB (kinda prefer them to the market ones + I'm saving for a Stat Xeno), and with the recent (or usual?) demand for them in the biomes it might be challenging to collect all 8 in a single day, much less around the same time, which means I'll have varying times-till-death on each of them. This could make it hard to manage them while trying to maximize my odds of a successful EQ. It's certainly doable, of course! Just gonna require some planning and it'll probably be good to wait until the Cantor frenzy cools off a bit (if it ever does, haha).

But I appreciate the kind words! It's cool to learn about the strategies different people utilize, you can always learn something new and useful for your own experimenting :) 

You don't need an empty scroll. Raise your dragons as normal and hit earthquake when everything has a big hole and only need more time to hatch. I've done this plenty of times before this release. You lose a few to the AP, but in general they all survive. Death is always a possibility but the chances are lower. And my reasons were always: too lazy to incubate everything one by one but need/want my eggslots back. 

Edit: I only use incubate for holiday breeding myself. Earthquake is too risky to lock yourself out of getting a breed for a year.

Edited by DragonLady86

2 hours ago, ShorahNagi said:

I recall the long floods...and all the conplaints that came with them. And even with a longer flood, there's no guarantee a player would be around during said time [ex. These releases start at Midnight for me. The earliest I may see of them is 4am...that's already 4 hours of time lost]

I mean most floods are lasting 16hrs, I don't see why the extra 8 would be something worthy of complaint. And I think its fair that if you can see the announcement on the day of, you can get the egg. No weeklong floods or anything like that. Just 24 hours.

2 hours ago, ShorahNagi said:

If it wasn't for the fact it might be a coding nightmare and potentially unfair...I'd question if it was possible to have floods happen at different times in different time zones.

For example (just using the four main timezones of the US and some even amounts of hours): Eastern drop runs from 6am to 12pm, central drop from 12pm to 6pm, mountain from 6pm to 12am, and Pacific from 12am to 6am.

This way, everyone has a chance to be part of the flood, no matter where they are. Of course, as I said there would be...the problems that come with this are people using Proxy/VPNs to be part of longer drops. Or People not seeing the same CB eggs (or AP eggs) at the same time [so it's great that Central time gets the new egg flood, but while only seeing those eggs Eastern, Mountain, and Pacific all had two or three CB golds show up]

I think not only would it be a coding nightmare, it wouldn't fix the problem? It would make it about a million times worse. Because now you'd be cutting floods down to just 6 hours during which the person has to find out and be online for. Imagine you live in central and login at 7pm. Everyone would be mad. Heck, imagine loging in midnight of a release and seeing no flood eggs, everyone would be in this thread like 'umm....broken?' Or imagine you're on time but you only have an hour and its one of those glitched hours where the eggs don't get spawned. 

4 hours ago, JudithC said:

Oh yikes, you are right on that field. My friend started to play at end side of December, and I have been usually the main source of knowledge when it comes to more complicated questions. And I, despite being one of the veterans, am also getting rather overwhelmed by all the BSA requirements (thank goddess I thought up making him a checklist!). Sure I stocked my friend with Reds and Pinks to get them on their feet with the first set of BSAs, but for Cantormaris and others? Didn't even cross my mind before now...

Edited by Moonlightelf

Just sent 3 G2 PB Sapphires to the AP....

On 5/30/2021 at 10:33 PM, Shokomon said:

Questions: 

1. Do Green Nilias breed blue or green eggs? Any proof? No - Proof given.
  2. Do we have proof that Yellow and Pinks Sapphires only give Blue sapphire eggs?No - Proof given.
  3. Have the Florets been obtained from any non-purebreed pairs? No answer.
  4. I saw that someone filled thier kill slots and that protected the target eggs from earthquake. Has anyone else tried that? Proof? I need to review the responses again, but I think the answer was no.

Also, I just auto-abandoned two lovely blue sapphires, since that's the only way to get them into the AP now.

{snip}

Thank you all for answering my questions! I'm very, very slowly catching up to the thread, so it may be awhile before I can reflect your answers in the spreadsheet.

I also have a few more questions:

1. Did we ever prove that we can or can't get Pennybrights from Copper x Secondary Lightning pairs? 
  2. We can traded Yellow sapphires without worry, right? Proof?
  3. Same thing with Stunned Electrics. Proof? 

Speaking of the spreadsheet...

For any late-comers:

On 5/22/2021 at 3:03 AM, Shokomon said:

{Snip}

Go here for the Master post of all the known mechanics and other stuff about the dragons.

As well as my spreadsheet (The DC Birthday 2021 Variant/Alt/Hybrid Tracking & Mechanism List)! Please help figure out the other mechanics!

My incomplete Masterlist of all the things, and my spreadsheet with all the proven mechanisms for the dragons (that probably needs updating.) Please post your breeding attempts for Florets (on the specific "Floret Trials" sheet) or otherwise (on the "Test Results") sheet.

2 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

Thank you all for answering my questions! I'm very, very slowly catching up to the thread, so it may be awhile before I can reflect your answers in the spreadsheet.

I also have a few more questions:

1. Did we ever prove that we can or can't get Pennybrights from Copper x Secondary Lightning pairs? 
  2. We can traded Yellow sapphires without worry, right? Proof?
  3. Same thing with Stunned Electrics. Proof? 

Speaking of the spreadsheet...

For any late-comers:

My incomplete Masterlist of all the things, and my spreadsheet with all the proven mechanisms for the dragons (that probably needs updating.) Please post your breeding attempts for Florets (on the specific "Floret Trials" sheet) or otherwise (on the "Test Results") sheet.

Without trawling through the posts, i don't have proof, but i have read through everything.

1. No one has bred one thus far.

2. Yes they can be traded without losing color. Several examples have been posted.

3.same answer.