TJ09

2015-12-19 - Holiday Event Info

Actually, I have, a few times. Once with pure Java and a couple times with Game Maker 8. The Java one was complete crap. I know it takes work to make a good game, and every game starts out as crap, but that's why a game needs to be tested, so it's as good as it can possibly be when people get their hands on it. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying there could be some improvements for next season if you use this game as a base for the next project.

I don't believe you fully grasp the scope of what was accomplished in the forty five day dev cycle we had to work with using a tiny team of volunteers.

Ah, bummer - I was scrolling too fast through the text and accidentally selected the first option when I was presented with being naughty or nice sad.gif So not only was I unable to actually read what my options were, but I guess I accidentally picked the naughty option, too! D:

It is sort of a bummer that the naughty option is usually placed first, but it might not be without reason. Patience is a virtue, folks!

So excited that I got to have A TINY LITTLE DRAGON following me around for a little while. <3

EDIT; if you head east 1 screen from your house, then north one screen, go left and there'll be a large house with a wreath on its door. Upon going in there's tables with what looks like various dishes of food on them and in the bottom right corner there's a couple sacks that, upon being examined, say "The secret is in the flour!" Anybody know if we can do anything with this yet?

Edited by TastesLikChicken

i haven't played the game since the first day. it was so frustrating. i don't know if it was due to bugs, glitches or my lack of interest in video games. i know you worked hard on the game, as i have taken a programming class before and it was a lot of work.

i was looking forward to the holiday event but was hoping for something to decorate instead.

on the upside, i am enjoying the variety of non-messy eggs in the AP. happy hunting.

unsure.gif

hate to be a Scrooge ...

but the game is a miss ..  for me (and the only game style I AVOID !!!)

so much of what we do in here is solo

at least last year we could reach out to each other with greetings

have gotten it to work ... at least for day 1

BUT ... only proceeding as hate not finishing things as much as I hate this game style

pity ..

as usually the dragons et al are the only bright spots for me 

first time I have been disappointed  ....

Regardless ... MERRY  CHRISTMAS EVERYONE !!!!

and there are the new Christmas dragons  awaiting us  biggrin.gif

cool.gif

sad.gif

am glad that I am stubborn in spite of myself ... rolleyes.gif

although this is not a game style I like ... sad.gif

I am having a ball !!! biggrin.gif

so, thank you ...

disappointment all gone ... tongue.gif

must be the dragons in there .... so cute !!! wink.gif

cool.gif

I don't believe you fully grasp the scope of what was accomplished in the forty five day dev cycle we had to work with using a tiny team of volunteers.

This was made in 45 days? Pretty impressive. But would it be possible to start earlier next time so you're not rushed and you have some time to test? A month and a half seems like a pretty big load to hand yourselves... I mean, I know you have other things to worry about, but spacing it out a bit might help. So if you did something like this for Halloween next year, you could start in June or July, work on it bit by bit (no pun intended), maybe even have the project done a bit early, give it to a few mods in secret to play around with, then tweak it as needed? Just a thought.

Please don't be mad at me for my presumptuousness here but...

Not the place to rag about the game and how one could do better. It's a good game, and the effort was remarkable!!!

Take it to pm or something. (crawls back in hole now)

Yes, I agree. I understand that glitches and such are frustrating, but insinuating that the game was never tested is probably something that shouldn't be done loudly in public.

It was tested, but like all games, it runs differently between a small testing group on clean machines in a low-traffic environment, compared to the live server where there are a lot of calls being made to different parts of the site in addition to game data, to say nothing of whatever extraneous forces (like ISP problems, end-user computer software, browser, etc) may be at work to make any particular user's experience less than optimal.

Like for example no one really knows what happened to the collision on that one sign yesterday, it was fine when we tested it, but something happened when it went live. That's why the coordinators are still hard at work trying to hunt down and squash bugs as fast as they can.

EDIT: Production on this one started immediately after Halloween, that was higher priority at the time and the focus needed to be on finishing that before we could pour all available resources into this. Some people bailed for various reasons so our team was quite small, and on top of that this is something we haven't done before so there's not really any code we can reuse, unlike decorating activities from previous years.

Edited by Lythiaren

I certainly don't mind working as an on the go debug team (or rather, bug finding team I guess, haha!), although I do hope those who have hit the nastiest glitches can have things fixed for them! It's a lovely, beautiful little DC video game made just for us, by a team of unpaid people who put in a ton of work and effort and time when I'm sure there were many other things they could've been having fun doing instead. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, especially when it's such a pretty one. Obviously when you can debug first it's great to do so, but given how little time they had (just 45 days, wow!), I'm just glad we got to play it smile.gif

Looking back we've really had so many great events... the haunted mansion (which I still replay almost every Halloween, I love it that much <3), the snow fort wars, the message sending with gifts and flowers, the valentine caves and mana collecting stories... ahh, good stuff! Thanks so much to everyone who's worked making them all these years. <3

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Holy COW, this was done in that time period? Honestly, hats off to you all, I've done less complicated works that legitimately took me longer. I'm intensely impressed.

Yes, I agree. I understand that glitches and such are frustrating, but insinuating that the game was never tested is probably something that shouldn't be done loudly in public.

It was tested, but like all games, it runs differently between a small testing group on clean machines in a low-traffic environment, compared to the live server where there are a lot of calls being made to different parts of the site in addition to game data, to say nothing of whatever extraneous forces (like ISP problems, end-user computer software, browser, etc) may be at work to make any particular user's experience less than optimal.

Like for example no one really knows what happened to the collision on that one sign yesterday, it was fine when we tested it, but something happened when it went live. That's why the coordinators are still hard at work trying to hunt down and squash bugs as fast as they can.

You're right, sorry. Didn't mean anything by it. It's true that conditions are different when the masses get their hands on it, and I didn't really take the time to consider that.

This RPG game is a huge step compared to the previous Christmas events. I absolutely adore this game. Thanks spriters and TJ for making this possible, even with such a short time. You all have outdone yourself. I'm looking forward to the rest of days in the game. smile.gif

did anyone else keep the cat?

I did. Read my previous post.

ohmy.gif I'm sorry, but the cat's awfully cute. I'm keeping her. I want to be unique and do something different from what people are doing. sad.gif In addition, I don't trust Bloodscales. They are meat lovers. They might eat poor kitty.

Yeah, it's a little hurtful to imply that it was never tested and-...only 45 days. I applaud the game squad.

You never know the circumstances behind the work. To get a game like this working on a very...very large scale must be very difficult.

I certainly love it, no matter how many bugs there might be.

Just saying a huge thank you to everyone who worked on this because despite the bugs (which are inevitable) I am having a wonderful time. To have done this in 45 days is beyond amazing. <3

how do you reset this whole thing? I'm apparently stuck in an area that, refresh and click all I want, I can't move.

smile.gif

hi there !!

what I did was exit and come back in

there are two access points

one above the scroll ...

the other above where you choose biomes or abandoned cave

hope this helps

cool.gif

D'aaaawwwwww!!! Little Quark following me around is so cute!

Edited by DragonCavePlayer

D'aaaawwwwww!!! Little Quark following me around is so cute!

IKR?!

but this begs the question, why dose he not talk?

are pygmies as smart as normal dragons or are they like drakes?

I REALLY enjoyed this game. xd.png It's only thanks to playing the wolf, bag of seed, and chicken game that I've managed to figure out how to do the bridge dilemma. xd.png And quark is ADORABLE. ;A; Plz tell me we get a dragon to keep in our game at the end of it? ;u;

This is SO AMAZING thank you ALL wonderful people for designing this!!! I ADORE solo RPG games like nothing else! <3 It's certainly a very welcome sight to finally do something like this when everything seems to be forced interaction all the damn time now and boo to you if you can't deal with it, or can't be on at the right time - especially around the holidays. D:

I want MOAR of this sweet game! ;;3;;~ Give it to meeeee. X33 I completed three days so far and in each one was mister niceypants so that's nice. xd.png Do wish I could've kept the cat.... ;;;^;; *sob sob sob forever*

Anyways thank you all once again for an AMAZING game! It just KEEPS getting better and BETTER! X3 <3 I'm so happy to be a beta tester for this! ouo) b

I hope all you lovely souls that aren't able to play this wonderful game can do so soon and that the bugs go away. D: Lagmonster this is not your toy! *shakes finger*