TJ09

2015-10-07 - Sprite Update (round one)

I agree with Thu. I don't see the brokeness in the female neck. You see that bend in birds all the time. I realize dragons are more reptilian, but I still think this would be possible.

Ex 1, 2, 3, and 4.

I don't think people are talking about the bend in itself. I get the shape, it's not that that's bothering me. What bothers me is the rather sharp kink in this part of the neck:

user posted image

As if someone got a bit of string and tied that area really tightly. I think a few more pixels on the inside of the neck (the lighter part) could probably fix it, though I have little spriting experience, so I guess I can't say for sure.

Edit to make the image narrower.

Edited by MessengerDragon

The new sprites are very pretty. ohmy.gif I especially love the update to the Holly. It just looks so much nicer and shinier. And the babies look super cute as well. <3

And i actually hope, the Other Pygmy breeds will get updated in the near future too.

Good grief, I hope not! Instead of messing with updating the old designs, why not release an army of new pygmies?? Please?

Edited by walkinslow

Good grief, I hope not! Instead of messing with updating the old designs, why not release an army of new pygmies?? Please?

I havent seen a lot of new ones released(except for the magelights) and theres a lot on the completed list.

So yes , i hope the old ones get updated.

I don't think people are talking about the bend in itself. I get the shape, it's not that that's bothering me. What bothers me is the rather sharp kink in this part of the neck:

As if someone got a bit of string and tied that area really tightly.

That bugs me too, all I can see is that kink in the neck.... :/

And it's like the string that is tied around it's neck is holding it up to the ceiling like a stuffed doll in a little child's room xd.png

However I love the Male Nilia Sprite, the New Male Horse and ADORE the Hollies! I hope hope hope I can get my first one this year just to admire the sprite~!

Edited by Clya

An update is substantially different than a new release. An update can happen at any time, even during a release, but releases have to be carefully timed. Also, there are so many dragons already completed that only a fraction of them will ever be used, and that can be depressing sometimes, especially when you see one of the few(or only) sprite you have released is an old one while you have many new, technically better available and people are exclaiming how that old sprite ever got released into the cave.

I feel always uncomfortable when the work of an artist or the artist himself/herself is attacked. I highly respect some of the lineage-breeders I've been reading on this thread but, in my (unpopular) opinion, lineage work benefits only the breeders and the few (compared with the size of the community) they will share the lineage with, while the artist's work will benefit the whole community. So, in my mind, the artist's wishes to improve her/his creations take priority.

Edited by NotBambi

Can I just say that I really hope this is, like, a big deal, and not something that's going to become the norm? Changing sprites, I mean. Golds. Silvers. Nilias. Horse. Holly. "Surprises". I can only handle so much change! I'm just hoping this doesn't become a *thing*, that all/most of the 'older' dragons will eventually be updated. Just no. Pleaaaaase no.

An update is substantially different than a new release.  An update can happen at any time, even during a release, but releases have to be carefully timed.  Also, there are so many dragons already completed that only a fraction of them will ever be used, and that can be depressing sometimes, especially when you see one of the few(or only) sprite you have released is an old one while you have many new, technically better available and people are exclaiming how that old sprite ever got released into the cave.

I understand (everything wink.gif , including the differences between a release and an update). But I'm still hoping for new pygmies instead of updated ones, and I'd *love* to see some of your ideas from the completed list in the cave. cool.gif

I try to keep on the positive side of things. Sure, a lineage of mine may not work out in the long run, but if I like the sprite itself more than its previous version then that probably opens the way to lineages I like even more. happy.gif I'll probably have old pictures to look at if I feel like it, though who knows how I would feel about that old combo in two years time. I tend to prefer my newer works to my older ones when it comes to anything creative, often to such a degree that I can barely stand to look at that old thing without cringing. xd.png

Have any of the hatchlings of the updated breeds gotten an update other than the hollies?

Edited by Clya

Have any of the hatchlings of the updated breeds gotten an update other than the hollies?

Horse hatchies look the same to me, not sure about the Nillia since I have none frozen.

As if someone got a bit of string and tied that area really tightly. I think a few more pixels on the inside of the neck (the lighter part) could probably fix it, though I have little spriting experience, so I guess I can't say for sure.

I put a few more pixels on the lower part (the ligher part), shaded the upper part into the background a bit more (i.e. faded blue so it wasn't such a sharp edge), and moved the lower part of the neck where it attaches to the head in just a touch (1 pixel less width by the chin), and it looked fantastic. Obviously, I can't post that, but I wanted to make sure I knew exactly how to express what I meant. smile.gif The sprite itself looks really good save for those few pixels which cause a rather large-looking kink in the neck. It's amazing what just a few pixels can do!

Hm. I'm not sure if this was always the case, but the Horse encyclopedia entry seems to be missing adult behavior and diet.

Loving the male horse and the pygmies. I wasn't too sure about the Holly at first but it's been growning on me. I'm looking forward to the new Silvers! (But not to the inevitable drama to follow.)

Thank you TJ and spriters for all the hard work. I'm looking forward to the silver update, whether I like it or not. It'll be a nice surprise. Silvers used to be my favorite dragons. Eventually other dragons moved into that position, like the Solstices and the BBW, but I still find them beautiful, albeit with quiet a few flaws. Seeing the result will be interesting.