TJ09

2014-12-25 - Happy Holidays!

Finally I found the name and OMG hooray! Extra info. I love their names, Mistletoe dragons...nice ring. But I wonder, do people have to kiss when these dragons are around? A good trick for a playful Mistletoe.

Love the new dragons, and love the Mana game...and especially love the gift giving~

Sad that people couldn't play nice and messages now must be moderated.. really kind of disappointing...

Hm. These are nice sprites and I like the colors, but... they're even plainer and less holiday-ey than the Hollies, even if much better in terms of anatomy and quality. I'm a little disappointed, especially after that gorgeous marbley egg. We've had some really amazing holiday releases lately, and if this had been the dragon back in, like, 2009, it'd be perfect, but... I'm just not feeling this as a Christmas dragon.

I almost feel the same way, but then again, their sprites are really, really pretty compared to normal releases.

One of the things that has made me most giddy about this holiday event is the ability to send notes to other people directly from the DragCave site. I really hope that there are enough positive comments about this feature and it is implemented permanently (not the present-sending, just a way to send messages without needing a forum account).

Oh, the new sprites are gorgeous! I'm a sucker for blue-green anything, so I can see myself having an army of these next Christmas. ^^

lol I do love these and actually got the names I wanted for them

Kiss me under the Mistletoe and Mistletoe is for Lovers

Thanks again Pie and Tiki for wonderful dragons and TJ for this event

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Breed Name: Mistletoe Dragons

Dragon Type: Western

Size: ~12 feet tall, ~28 feet long, ~30-foot wingspan

Colors: Spring green, green-tinted blue, white

PieMaster’s Alt Colors: Silver, blue

tikigurl91’s Alt Colors: Yellow, pink

~

A little bit of breed information:

Mistletoe Dragons possess magic over temperature, able to raise and lower the temperature in a small radius around them. This allows them to stay warm during winter and cool during summer. They also have slight control over frost, able to create ice and enchant it so that it is room temperature to the touch. They often decorate their dens—usually made in caves—with this enchanted frost.

Their temperature control allows them to regulate the temperatures of their dens, which makes them ideal to seek out during the winter. Hospitable and friendly, Mistletoes often welcome strangers and those in need into their homes. Mistletoes are very kind, and are known for giving gifts of food to the hungry and assisting others when possible.

The long, coarse fur on their tails often becomes matted in a way that resembles a sprig of mistletoe, hence the breed name. They use their tails as a means of body temperature regulation, focusing their magic energy on that area to allow heat to escape (or to generate warmth) rather than expend energy on warming/cooling their entire bodies. Often, small ice crystals form on their tail fur that resemble the white berries of mistletoe. These sometimes fall off, but stay enchanted with the dragon’s magic and never melt.

They are a somewhat rare sight to see flying overhead, as they are typically only seen in the depths of winter. A tradition has arisen among many humans to hug nearby friends and cherish the moment when one is seen, both to honor the breed’s amiable tendencies and to express excitement at the rare sighting.

They are an herbivorous breed that avoids harming others whenever possible.

Stay tuned! More (possibly) to come through the encyclopedia. If we can fit all this and more in the entry.

Quoting for a new page. I do love the color scheme for these guys! Simply gorgeous.

While Mistletoe is parasitic in all forms (though some do a little bit of photosynthesis) genus Viscum includes a bunch of keystone species.

Yes, it is a parasite, but it's an essential parasite and a basis of many food webs.

If any of you have access to

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/con.../rspb.2012.0856, David M. Watson and Matthew Herring have done fascinating work on the subject.

Edited by Wokenulape

The breed's affiliation with mistletoe ends at the tail's resemblance, so there aren't going to be any parasitic tendencies with them XP Sorry to disappoint those who were hoping for that, but I don't really feel that fits with the holiday.

This year christmas dragons look awesome. The description tells so much about the festivities and to cherish those we appreciate most.

Have a happy holidays everyone.

Edited by chr. draco

Ooooh, I love that shade of green and blue together. They don't quite make their way into my list of favorite holiday dragons, but they are gorgeous nonetheless. Can't wait to gather some more up next year.

Named my babies Berry Bough and Spirit Warden. The second is a reference to the fact that mistletoe was once believed to ward off evil spirits.

Interesting, although, if it's a proliferate breed, and the breed has been around since who knows when, then wouldn't the world be covered in magic never melting ice?

Finally named my little pretties, 'Crystal Twinkle Berry' and 'Icy Glimmer Berry'. I tried many variants of those names but they were all taken. x.x