Obscure_Trash

Emotional Support

Just a hug.

My Chef in college, pastry, chocolates and what not. Passed away yesterday.

-hugs-

Sorry, Starscream. It's nice that they're missed, though.

Trigger warning for possible child abuse/pedophilia-type references.

I'm in love with the wrong guy *sob* Worst of it is, I KNOW he would be terrible for me (flaring temper, throws fits like a three-year-old, selfish and easily upset), but I can't help it! And even worse still I think he knows it and he OBVIOUSLY doesn't care about me.

On the other hand there's this other guy who's taken pains to be really nice to me, even sending me books (both live in Romania and are Internet friends of mine.) He's always kind and patient and best of all he's even coming to see me this January! My mom likes his personality and thinks he may like me physically too. Although he's a politician he seems to not be easily rattled, is always civil in an argument (unlike the other guy) and doesn't try to force you to think like he does. Yet, though I know he'd be practically perfect for me (he meets all my guy requirements, smart, Romanian, friendly, kind and likes animals), I can't force myself to see him as any more than a friend. I mean, I don't like him like him, though it does make me super excited when he talks to me I think that's more my personality because really any Romanian adult paying any mind to me excites me like a little kid on Christmas...

What to do...?

I have other issues too, big ones with my parents (mostly because now after holding me back for years they SUDDENLY want me to grow up and go find a job and stop being dependent on them, like, OVERNIGHT. But I will post later about that as I am very busy and right now this is uppermost in my mind...

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Speaking from experience, even if you were head over heels for the guy online, that means nothing IRL - in-person is much, much different. I've had people who I thought I would adore come visit, and then nothing. Harbor no expectations.

I think it's been said many times, but you really, REALLY need to be careful about guys you meet online, especially older ones. The guy that's coming is a politician? Be especially wary of him. People in that profession, Romanian or otherwise, make their bread and butter on being charismatic, meaning they are very, very good at concealing their less-than-savory attributes.

Keep your eyes open, and don't let your feelings cloud your logic.

Princess Kiara, I think some of the earlier advice given to you can be reapplied in various situations (such as your current ones) you happen to have ongoing and potentially upcoming. You may find it helpful to revisit some of those earlier posts.

Just a hug.

My Chef in college, pastry, chocolates and what not. Passed away yesterday.

I'm sorry for your - and that college's - loss, Star. *hug*

I just need.... I dunno, hugs? Reassurance that I didn't totally eff up? I dunno.

Yesterday I spilled soda on my laptop computer. I thought I got it all wiped up and everything, but then the keyboard started messing up, and then the mouse wouldn't work right.... Today I took it to Staples and was told the motherboard was damaged. I could send it away to get fixed, which might not even fix the problem and would cost almost as much as a new computer.

..... Or I could buy a new computer. ..... I bought a new computer. $480, total. Spent every cent of my "Emergency Fund" to do it. It's money that took forever to build up, putting $20 away every other paycheck.... It's money I really don't *have* and shouldn't have spent. But.... The internet is such a big part of my life. And writing, I write/edit constantly. I just can't imagine not having a computer. I feel like I just didn't take enough time to think things through, but i think I would've come to the same conclusion anyways.... I'm just kinda still in shock, I think.

If you continued to use the old laptop after the spill, before turning it off and putting it in a bag with rice for a few days, then chances are yeah, the board is probably shot.

Honestly, if I were in the same boat, I'd have done the same thing as far as buying the new one goes. Sometimes a bit of contentment is worth a splurge.

Speaking from experience, even if you were head over heels for the guy online, that means nothing IRL - in-person is much, much different. I've had people who I thought I would adore come visit, and then nothing. Harbor no expectations.
Curiously enough, I've had the exact same experiences - like online, like in real life. And at least half of the people I know I knew online first.

"Putting it on rice" does nothing with soda, and putting something on rice is rather dubious to begin with - it soaks up the moisture a bit, but often does nil to the liquid inside the device, should any have gotten that far. Soda is sticky, and even dried, it leaves muck everywhere. Turning it off, immediately *disassembling* and cleaning it maybe would have worked...

I didn't say she wouldn't necessarily like them offline, I told her that it can be different (submitting anecdotal evidence, much like you've just done). It's different for everyone, but I think telling her not to have expectations is the way to go. I'm not telling her how it's definitely going to go based on my own experiences, nor should anyone. That way she doesn't try to force the experience to be what she -thinks- it should be, rather than let things play out as they will.

With the soda, probably, though there was still a chance it could have survived. Like you said, depends on how far down in it went. I had friends who've done worse and still manage to salvage their machine with the rice trick. Rice is a proven tactic for waterlogged electronics, including among the other tech people I know (and I do quite a bit of tech work myself) - but it has to be in a sealed container with the rice, and it has to have been done before the board shorted out. Doubt it all you want, but I'm going to believe my own experiences and those of professionals I know. Regardless, I'd say it's better to at least -try- to salvage hardware whether the chances of it working are slim or not.

Edited by Omega Entity

Rice ... is about as effective as leaving it dry in any dry place, really (speaking as a person who has worked as an infotech for several years, nowadays mostly programmer). I don't say that it isn't worth saving the electronics - I am just advocating disassembling them as much as you can without risking breaking something (at least removing the cover/battery) rather than setting the whole thing somewhere.

(But we're derailing the thread again.)

I just need.... I dunno, hugs? Reassurance that I didn't totally eff up? I dunno.

Yesterday I spilled soda on my laptop computer. I thought I got it all wiped up and everything, but then the keyboard started messing up, and then the mouse wouldn't work right.... Today I took it to Staples and was told the motherboard was damaged. I could send it away to get fixed, which might not even fix the problem and would cost almost as much as a new computer.

..... Or I could buy a new computer. ..... I bought a new computer. $480, total. Spent every cent of my "Emergency Fund" to do it. It's money that took forever to build up, putting $20 away every other paycheck.... It's money I really don't *have* and shouldn't have spent. But.... The internet is such a big part of my life. And writing, I write/edit constantly. I just can't imagine not having a computer. I feel like I just didn't take enough time to think things through, but i think I would've come to the same conclusion anyways.... I'm just kinda still in shock, I think.

This happens to everybody. Don't beat yourself up over it. You did all you could, and then made the best decision for you. No issues there.

I spilled tea on my brand new computer once. In order to get the computer in the first place, we had to dip into my college savings. Had to double dip to fix it (I have a Macbook Air and any liquid near them is going to immediately fry them because they're so thin the liquid is going to go right where you don't want it, lol). And everything turned out fine. I still have money in my college savings if I do ever need it. My computer works just fine today. No biggie. It sucks to spend that much money - but so much worse things could have happened than having to buy a new computer.

I have other issues too, big ones with my parents (mostly because now after holding me back for years they SUDDENLY want me to grow up and go find a job and stop being dependent on them, like, OVERNIGHT. But I will post later about that as I am very busy and right now this is uppermost in my mind...

I don't know your age, but tbqh, with some of your past posts and the way your parents seem to have bought into possibly abusive men same as you, I think you getting out on your own, not dating, and giving yourself time to grow into your own person is a good idea. Yeah, it's scary, but I would look at this as a good thing. An awesome opportunity. If you don't have a resume, you should. I'm sure there are teachers, if you have contact with them still (?), who would help review resumes. There's tons of online sources. There's gotta be something you think would be fun to try out - or something that's at least a good experience.

Like, especially if you're not old enough, you don't have to move out. But working is good experience, and it will get you out of the house, AND it will get you thinking about other things - rather than just obsessing over men, which, by your post, it seems like you think you need a break from, too, in order to figure things out.

There is so much life ahead of you. You've gotta create the life you want. You can't just spend your whole life waiting for The Right Guy to come along. There are things I'm sure you want to do, and you should start taking the opportunity to either start doing them or start chasing after your dreams. Get out there and meet new people. Do new things. Start living for you - not for the dream of future you. You are who is real. Don't be afraid to get out there and go for it. (And if you are afraid, take a deep breath, and step outside anyone. You won't get anywhere if you don't try.)

Sorry Dad, you can stop controlling me now. Damn helicopter pilot -.- These plushies are in fact sellable, people will buy if interested, you don't KNOW EVERYTHING, stop making my life hell. So what if my new friend is bisexual/lesbian? How does me giving her a spare clover necklace make ME a lesbian? Did you want me to censorkip.gif*** suck faces with her? I can assure you I don't do that, she's a wonderful person and someone that actually UNDERSTANDS ME outside of online experience. YOU'RE lucky I didn't shut myself out from her or the world. I have never felt more comfortable with someone like that in a long time, I actually TALKED most of the time, and I haven't smiled or talked like that in so long...So don't keep telling me I might become a lesbian, or that giving her a SIMPLE NECKLACE makes us lovers. Do you have something wrong with her being what she is? Hm? Exactly. LEAVE ME ALONE ABOUT HERRRR, WE ARE JUST FRIEENNDS GOOD GOD.

Not that I have a problem with that, it's just annoying coming from your dad about someone you just met and met up with.

For those who don't know, helicoptering a person is when you control their actions and such, which is what he's been doing to me and my brother for god knows how long.

I still have that freaky night terror, and I don't even sleep on my back :L It doesn't do anything at this point, it just stares at me, right next to my face or inches from it if I'm on my back, like hovering over me.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I just need to vent a teeny bit tbh

I'm taking my senior pictures today and I'm having horrible anxiety about it. I have to get my hair done first but it's been raining all day and I'm worried that the rain will mess up my hair and/or makeup, and I only have a nice smile 30% of the time so I'm worried that I'll end up grimacing or just looking ugly in my picture. And I have to change outfits between pictures and I'm just worried that something will go wrong like a stain will magically appear on all my clothes or I'll accidentally wipe off all my makeup while putting on a shirt or my pants suddenly won't fit as I'm changing. Basically I'm convinced that something will happen that will induce a panic attack right in the middle of the studio.

I'm so nervous omg :'))))) Hopefully I will survive

I'm taking my senior pictures today and I'm having horrible anxiety about it. I have to get my hair done first but it's been raining all day and I'm worried that the rain will mess up my hair and/or makeup, and I only have a nice smile 30% of the time so I'm worried that I'll end up grimacing or just looking ugly in my picture. And I have to change outfits between pictures and I'm just worried that something will go wrong like a stain will magically appear on all my clothes or I'll accidentally wipe off all my makeup while putting on a shirt or my pants suddenly won't fit as I'm changing. Basically I'm convinced that something will happen that will induce a panic attack right in the middle of the studio.

Take a deep breath and calm down. You don't need to worry about too many things. smile.gif Just go along with the day and try to smile. smile.gif

A little trick I've seen people advocating elsewhere is to do a little exercise right before a potentially stressful event: tense your muscles up - squeeze your hands into tight fists, tense up your calves, hold your breath, such things -, hold for a dozen seconds, then release and breathe deeply for a bit. Repeat if necessary. Should make you feel less tense and nervous.

Thank you both <3 I'm feeling better. Just got back from having my hair done and it's still raining but so far I haven't melted, lol. I've been telling myself that the worst thing that could realistically happen (meaning that my more irrational worries probably won't happen) is that my outdoors pic will get cancelled because of the weather, and I'm ok with that.

Sorry Dad, you can stop controlling me now. Damn helicopter pilot -.-

I still have that freaky night terror, and I don't even sleep on my back :L It doesn't do anything at this point, it just stares at me, right next to my face or inches from it if I'm on my back, like hovering over me.

Is it possible that your night terror is your dad? unsure.gif It might be your subconscious creating a thing who have it's eyes on you, always checking your every move.

If your dad does that and you're really angry, frustrated, tired and fed up about his behaviour it's no wonder if you have nightmares about a monster staring at you.

Just a guess. ^^'

Is it possible that your night terror is your dad? unsure.gif It might be your subconscious creating a thing who have it's eyes on you, always checking your every move.

If your dad does that and you're really angry, frustrated, tired and fed up about his behaviour it's no wonder if you have nightmares about a monster staring at you.

Just a guess. ^^'

It probably is him, haaaaah. He is pretty scary when he's being all silent and owl-watching me xd.png.

Sorry Dad, you can stop controlling me now. […]

Good god, I know the feeling. Can't get my parents off my back without them asking ten thousand questions and not trusting me to do anything and being suspicious and/or disapproving of anyone I know. I couldn't leave the house alone until I was 17. >_>

I don't really have much advice for you except just bearing it for now. Parents are stubborn and afraid and stubbornly afraid of being wrong, but it too shall pass. Hopefully.

Survived my senior pics without a panic attack. I had a very nice photographer whose presence kind of put me at ease. My pictures turned out pretty nice, actually. I am mentally exhausted from all the stressing, smiling and posing. But yay it's over

Good god, I know the feeling. Can't get my parents off my back without them asking ten thousand questions and not trusting me to do anything and being suspicious and/or disapproving of anyone I know. I couldn't leave the house alone until I was 17. >_>

THIS.

I. am. FED. UP! with my life. I have always been nearly unrealistically optimistic but now it's driving me crazy. Just so you get an idea, my mother keeps telling me I'm expensive and a lot of trouble and she wants me out of the house working and sometimes even that I'm not normal and should probably get psychiatric help (this last when I get angry at my younger sisters.) I'm literally crying as I type this. I don't know what to do anymore, she's always been the one I was able to turn to for support and now...Everyone else tells me I'm a decent and nice enough person, why must SHE be the one who seems convinced I'm the devil incarnate? I know nobody is perfect but I try my best, I like to help people and such. I've never thought of myself as an especially good person or anything like that but now I'm starting to seriously doubt whether my mom may not be right (I know I'm not crazy, but am I just a bad person, hands down? I don't know! I want to be nice to everybody and help everybody, but I just don't like my sisters...is that such a crime!?)

I was an only child for 7 years, and my mom was the perfect mom. My dad worked at night and slept all day, so it was just her and me, and even though she can't drive and we were never rich, we were happy. She didn't send me to school just so she'd have more time with me, and she took lessons to be able to teach me at home (she's fantastic at explaining things). Unlike most parents she took me swimming and everywhere she could walk with me to have fun, and participated with me. I never felt the need to hide anything from her. We were best friends. My only problems were when my parents wanted to make me eat seafood which always makes me want to throw up, and Dad would whip me and take away all my things when I did it, but as he was seldom awake when he was home, that rarely happened. I wasn't allowed to sleep at friends' houses (or even go there without Mom), but as she was always with me, doing fun things, that never mattered much. Our limited mobility also meant that I had very few friends.

Then my first sister was born, after a long and difficult pregnancy which nearly killed both my mom and her. My parents kept telling me how awesome having siblings was and how I wouldn't have to play alone and someone would love me (I kind of believed it then, but even so I already had my doubts--I wasn't alone, I had my mom, so why would I need anyone else?), and my dad threatened me with terrible consequences a zillion times if I didn't love and protect her because it would be my duty as older sister. No one told me what that really meant was staying quiet and bearing all the things the kid did...

Fair enough, it was just a normal kid, perhaps better mannered even than most. But God is she stubborn. She loves to tell on me for the slightest thing and I can't refute whatever she says because I won't be believed. Now I have two sisters and it's gone downhill from a couple of squabbles to constant bickering. They have very few chores in the house (to be fair, so do I, but I at least do it and do it right!), just taking out the trash at night (the bin is right outside our door) and washing dishes once a day. Usually they leave their dirty clothes lying around, books and toys everywhere (and we don't have many of those because Mom believes in using the imagination rather than things, hence my very limited and up until recently strictly supervised Internet time), their dirty dishes on the table above their heavily littered places...I'll ask them nicely to clean and they will a) Very rarely do it cheerfully, cool.gif Sit there and continue whatever they're doing after giving me a dirty stare or c) Full-on blow up at me for 'always being bossy'.

Lately they've even taken up with my only RL friend, an 11-year-old girl who started helping me walk dogs and is now my BFF, and now they ask her to do everything with them with hardly a glance my way and barely even asking Mom's permission. I know it's stupid and petty of me to be jealous but I can't help feeling that they stole first my parents and now my only friend. Mom threatens to ground me (AND I'M 18) every time I try to talk to her about it saying "oh you can all be friends, {my friend's name} is about their age". Now I can't even watch a movie alone with my friend without my two sisters being there. When they're in a good mood they'll be nice to me but if not they will call me names, run around screaming, refuse to listen to me, and make fun of me in front of my friend and I can't do a thing about it. My friend is the sweetest girl but she is a bit of a pushover so she says nothing to me except afterwards when we're alone...

Maybe I'm being overdramatic, and I know it isn't all their fault. I love my sisters, I don't really hate them even though at times I would like nothing better than to fling them headfirst into the dirty-clothes hamper. But since they were born my life has gone steadily downhill and I would like to know why, and what to do about it... I will sometimes try to speak to Mom, as before, but when I show my frustration she says I am not normal and should go to an asylum :'(

I am nobody and my parents, especially Dad, make that perfectly clear. He tells me in no uncertain words that as long as I am in his house I have no expectation of privacy and if he so chooses he could force my Internet passwords from me at any time. He keeps all the house computers locked and rarely gives me access to them, after I beg him to unlock it. I am always threatened with grounding (and usually grounded as well). I can't raise an eyebrow at him the wrong way because he will say, "I'm going to look at you that way next time you ask me for something. Don't ask for anything today because it will be denied you." Both of them keep claiming I'm lazy and hardly do anything. I had foot surgery so haven't been able to walk dogs for a while and they are pressuring me to find a job (before turning 18, I begged them to let me work, and they would say no, I couldn't go out alone and they wouldn't take me), saying I am expensive and giving them trouble and I need to help provide for myself. Which is all well and good, but they know I'm saving for university. Which brings me to another topic...

My dream is to study uni in Romania. Ever since Dad found out about it he has been impossible, saying all Romanians are idiots and their language is horrible and Romania is a hole in the ground and with how irresponsible and immature I am I wouldn't survive 5 minutes there without calling him crying to come rescue me. Two years ago I met a Romanian guy online and we became friends; Dad forbade me to speak to him and said he'd keep me off the Internet until I moved out if I talked to him. (I didn't listen on that one, but he never found out, thankfully enough.) Romanian is hard to learn, not so much because of its difficulty but because of the scarcity of materials, so for years my only material were a couple of Romanian and Moldovan pop songs which I learned by heart...but Dad still won't let me sing them when he's around, which is all the time now that he works from home.

I've always been an A+ student, but now due to a bunch of moves (national and international) I'm a little behind schedule. Now my parents are both hitting me hard with how lazy and irresponsible I am and how if I'm not going to study (which I am!) I should go and find a job. Let me clarify, I don't mind working and I'm not lazy, but I would like to finish high school before plunging into work. For now, as soon as my foot mends, walking dogs is enough for me. I get paid rather well, my customers like me and I have a good reputation. I know how to handle the dogs firmly, but they all know I love them and they love me back. I'm feeling really pressured now though because I feel at first I was held back and now, when I don't feel at all ready, I'm being kicked out into the world...

And last but not least, my things. My parents think I (and all my things) belong to them.

Don't get me wrong, I love them and am very grateful for everything that they've done for me, and I understand they are going through a tough period now. But does that mean I have no right to privacy and my own things if I work for them?

For example, I love fish, and thought breeding some might help me earn some money for university. WITH Mom and Dad's approval, I went out and bought WITH MY OWN EARNINGS the glass to build the tank. I made arrangements for more experienced people to help me and for someone to build me a stand cheaply. Now they won't let me build the tank so the glass is just sitting there, because according to Mom she won't let me do it until I stop being lazy and find a job. I bought that glass, and it's not like she'd pay for anything! Yet whenever I say something she doesn't like she'll threaten to break, sell or give away MY glass.

Second case in point: my cell phone. Two years ago Mom gave me, I repeat, GAVE me a cell phone. Dad took it away permanently when he caught me with a wallpaper picture of my Romanian friend, but he lied about why he did it, then said I had to earn it back and never did give it back. I thought, well fine, I'll just work and buy myself one, after all even though they gave it to me, they bought it with their money.

I couldn't get a job until recently. Now I have enough for a cell phone, but Mom decided to lend me one, saying now that it was only lent and therefore she takes it away every night and will only let me have it for a short time each day. I need my phone more than that but she won't let me, and she's made it perfectly clear that if I bought one it would be subject to the same rules and even if bought with my earnings she could take it away and sell it if I was 'bad'. I figure what's the point in buying one? She'll just take it away, and I need to save for university.

But even that...They want me to pay for a LOT of things now. The dentist said I have a problem, and they want me to pay for my treatment even though it costs what I earn in two whole weeks of hard work under the Cancun sun. If I want anything, whether it's a new piece of clothing (which is seldom) or more usually some pretty flower or a videogame, they tell me to buy it myself. My mother keeps threatening to take away my money if I 'disobey' her or 'are mean' to my sisters, and worst of all my bank account is linked to hers so she has more control over it than I. She keeps reminding me how expensive I am and wants me to pay the cleaning lady one day a week, which is as much as I earn in one or two whole days. (And she knows that even with what I earn untouched, it would take me years at this pace to earn what I need for my trip to Romania, and I need to have it by this time next year at the latest. After months of work, I barely have enough for the cheapest of plane tickets to Bucharest).

I love my mom. She's given me so much, I love giving back. Now that I have a bit of money, I've even taken her out to eat a couple of times, when Dad can't or won't. But I can't help feeling that she wants to keep me here. I know she doesn't want me to go, but although she says it's my life and I can do as I like, I can't help feeling that she keeps charging me for everything because she wants me to have to stay. But I don't want to. I don't like Mexico and university is my one way out.

And my father...He says if I don't gather information from EVERY university in Cancun by next Friday, he will take away my phone permanently and make me buy a small, cheap phone, and will take away all my Internet, TV and book privileges permanently. I told him I'd rather shoot myself than stay in Mexico at all, and that if Romania doesn't accept me, heck, I'd go to Australia, England, or even to China, just to get away from here. He says he doesn't care and I better do as he says because it's stupid of me to want to go to Romania 'just for a singer' (I had a crush on a Moldovan singer and now my father is convinced I only want to go to see him). I am tired. I don't know what to do. If I didn't still need some support to finish my high school and bring my dreams to fruition, I'd have left home long ago. He never misses a chance to remind me how incompetent, irresponsible and immature I am and how I wouldn't survive alone for five minutes. (Funnily enough, all my teachers at school say the opposite--they say I'm very mature and they wish all their students were like me, and they keep encouraging me and telling me I'm doing great...Who to believe?) Please help!

I apologize for the great wall of text...I just really needed to get that out! Any advice? Talking to my parents doesn't help because they will just remind me how easy my life is and how hard I make theirs.

P.S. My sisters are 11 and 9, and I am 18.

Edited by Princess Kiara

Kiara, that sounds ... rather horrifying to me, to be honest. I could have never imagined being subjected to such amount of control and supervision. You're your own individual first and foremost. Remember that. Your mother, nice as she seems to you, has been depriving you from a lot most "normal" people have. And I'm not speaking privileges here - I am speaking basic rights. Not letting you work until now? Depriving you of the income and experience you need for future life. And so forth. It's not healthy, her or your father's behaviour, you see.

Luckily, you're 18 now. That means you have more legal rights now. The first thing I'd do is making your separate bank account (or, heck, just taking everything out and going over to cash wherever possible and keeping it secure, if you can't find a way to do so). If you do buy something of notable worth, make sure to register it on your name or otherwise make sure that you can prove it is you who bought it. I can't cite US laws off the top of my head, but over here, if someone confiscates your things in the manner your mother is threatening to should you buy yourself a cell phone, then given that you're over 18, even your own parents doing so means that it's legally theft.

And you're by no means a "horrible person". That's just them tearing down your self-worth speaking. You have been subjected to emotional abuse. I've seen horrible people, and trust me, you're not one.

Thank you so much Shienvien smile.gif

I was really relieved to hear that because I am frustrated all the time and I get really snappish. I don't want to be this way, I want to love everyone and be friendly and fun and smiley, but it gets so hard...I yell at my sisters and then I feel guilty for doing it. It's like yeah they're annoying but still I want us to be friends. But then my temper gets the better of me and...

I can get the cash out of my account if I go to an ATM, no problem. But I'm not going to fight my mom over this one mistake after all she's done for me. I might buy a phone and keep the fact hidden from her, maybe, but I could never, ever accuse her of theft...I know she loves me and maybe she really thinks it's for my own good...? I have never been as certain of anything as I am that my mom would never intentionally hurt me in any way whatsoever.

But this is why I have to go to Romania I think. I need to prove to my father (and maybe myself) that I can do it, and survive. I just hope I really can. Certainly I lack knowledge on many important subjects...I mean, to the point where I doubt I'd know how to get insurance for example or any of those other things I'd need to know. So little time...

Edited by Princess Kiara