Descripforce

Description Force!

If you are having trouble envisioning magic in comparison to modern technology, I suggest reading up on the D&D world Eberron. In that world magic is used to replace what would be modern or even futuristic technology.

Example:

In Eberron there are flying ships powered by harnessed Elementals. Like so...

user posted image

"Magitech" has been a staple of tabletop role-playing almost since the start with Dave Arneson.

I wrote these two...

This one's for Okota, a Falconiform Wyvern.

Okota is not an incredibly active dragon, but loves jewels, gold, and other things that shine. Especially a certain dragon who leaves a precious shiny scale at the entrance to his cave, along with piles of gold. Attempting to find favor with her, he leaves a metallic rose jewel at the entrance of his cave, so that she may find it when she comes in the morning.

And his mate, Cassandra-Isabella, a Heartstealing Dragon.

Cassandra-Isabella is a very active dragon. She runs into many a cave to collect jewels for her lover, Okota. She dashes in and out of his cave every morning, and each morning when he wakes up, he finds her wafer-thin scale, along with a brand new pile of gold and jewels.

And a pathetic excuse for a dragon I couldn't think of a name for: A magi dragon.

Nameless, he wanders. Voiceless, he walks. Lonesome, he treks. Silent, he cries. Grieving, he trudges slowly away...

Can I ask someone to look at THIS dragon's description?

It says taht it was rejected though no reason is given.

here is the descrip itself : Due to his ancestry, Prince Lang is one of the more militaristic members of the shimmerscale court of the JavaTiger Clan. He prefers the military title of commander to that of prince, and is the one responsible for leading the clan's fighting dragons into battle, when necessary. In times of war, he is a fearsome leader, and in times of peace he is a well respected member of the court. His personality is gruff, like that of his ancestor the Commander Silas Vincent Sheppard, but like his ancestor, he is ultimately good-hearted and loyal to the core. In Lang's case, of course, that supreme loyalty his family is noted for is directed toward his clan and he would protect them with his own life, if necessary... which is probably why the dragons of the clan would obey his orders in a battle without question. Surprisingly for a warrior, Lang actually loathes war and the destruction that it causes; though he knows that sometimes it is necessary to fight to protect what you care about from harm.

here is the descrip itself : Due to his ancestry, Prince Lang is one of the more militaristic members of the shimmerscale court of the JavaTiger Clan. He prefers the military title of commander to that of prince, and is the one responsible for leading the clan's fighting dragons into battle, when necessary. In times of war, he is a fearsome leader, and in times of peace he is a well respected member of the court. His personality is gruff, like that of his ancestor the Commander Silas Vincent Sheppard, but like his ancestor, he is ultimately good-hearted and loyal to the core. In Lang's case, of course, that supreme loyalty his family is noted for is directed toward his clan and he would protect them with his own life, if necessary... which is probably why the dragons of the clan would obey his orders in a battle without question. Surprisingly for a warrior, Lang actually loathes war and the destruction that it causes; though he knows that sometimes it is necessary to fight to protect what you care about from harm.

The description sounds perfectly fine to me smile.gif

Sometimes, some users tend to randomly reject descriptions when reviewing for no reason just to mess around. You can just ignore those if you want. c;

I vaguely recall this descrip. No comment is a good sign I was going to fast and approve got switched to reject on accident. You can re-submit as is. It's fine. =3

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I vaguely recall this descrip. No comment is a good sign I was going to fast and approve got switched to reject on accident. You can re-submit as is. It's fine. =3

Thanks, Socky.

I ran into that once before and deleted the descrip because of it. THIS time I figured I would check first.

Can someone take a look at this?

The description is:

Firey Whisper is a dangerous dragon. Her very name strikes fear into the hearts of dragons of her Cave and nearby ones. She is notorious for pretending to be an infatuated female, then stealing the treasures and loot from the tricked dragon's stash, whispering fire upon the dragon for good measure.

EDIT: Okay, just described 6 dragons. (Okay, it was bound to get sappy one time or another. I didn't think of myself as a romantic, but you know. It happens.)

EDIT AGAIN: Ahhh, I see exactly how much sense my Electric dragon's description made sense. Poor Ildorum. In any case, I'm going to have to rewrite my relationship for Ildorum and Zaprotho. Nevertheless, I'm glad I got to delete it before I got completely humiliated. Thanks, Dirtytabs.

Edited by EmmaD333

Just curious.

When are we going to have another event?

OO OO! SOON SOON! I haven't been a part of this long enough to participate in one!

Also, if anyone is wondering, I am ~E.

OO OO! SOON SOON! I haven't been a part of this long enough to participate in one!

Also, if anyone is wondering, I am ~E.

A Easter event maybe? xd.png

Hello Description Force! I have a question for you. It's not quite technical, but more like lore-type question.

I wrote a description for this one guy. It sounds like this:

"Despite being a male, this Hellfire Wyvern shows not only his physical warmth, but also a warm nature, so he got the name "Calor" (Latin "warmth")."

So I got an accept from DT with a message: "Omit "Latin" (no Earth languages here) -DT" . But DragCave takes place in medieval setting as said in Description Guidelines, so it looks like Latin is legit in this case, as it was commonly used in Middle Ages.

Am I right or did I miss something?

Hello Description Force! I have a question for you. It's not quite technical, but more like lore-type question.

"Despite being a male, this Hellfire Wyvern shows not only his physical warmth, but also a warm nature, so he got the name "Calor" (Latin "warmth")."

So I got an accept from DT with a message: "Omit "Latin" (no Earth languages here) -DT" . But DragCave takes place in medieval setting as said in Description Guidelines, so it looks like Latin is legit in this case, as it was commonly used in Middle Ages.

As DT says in the comment, the issue is with Earth languages. The world of DC is Valkemare, specifically the continent called Galsreim. There's nothing stopping you from using Latin, you just need to work it into the setting.

"Despite being a male, this Hellfire Wyvern shows not only his physical warmth, but also a warm nature, so he got the name "Calor", which means "warmth" in an ancient human language." is one way you could phrase it.

I suspect the issue with the reviewer was not the Latin word, but your definition of the word as Latin, which is irrelevant in the context of the Cave's world.

DC takes place on VALKEMARE a made up world with DRAGONS and other creatures. Is is not, nor ever was earth. "Medieval" is given as an easy short cut to give you a feel for the setting which is, like almost ALL fantasy settings pseudo-medieval.

Latin is a RL language spoken (or rather written) by ancient Romans.

Rome doesn't exist in Valkemare - do the math wink.gif

Edited by herk

I accept mentions of real languages when used to tell the meaning of names. I would say Latin for warmth rather than Latin warmth, though.

Usually real world refs are best to avoid though, as this is Valkemere, not Earth. The time setting mention is for for an idea of setting and what kind of advancements had been made.

Thanks everyone who answered! I'll make some adjustments in the description.

@SockPuppet Strangler: I tried to make it in dictionary style.

Edited by antrozemelin

Awesome! From now on I'll sign as ~zam when reviewing the descriptions. Let me help ya with those ^^

I thought of a March Madness event but since March is almost over, what about a Welcome Spring event? Descriptions that has something to do with spring! xd.png

Hello Description Force!

I have a question; when rewieving a description and write down constructice critism and/or praise, what is the actual character limit for the comment section (if any)? smile.gif

I know there is a limit as it will stop allowing you to type once you hit it, but I've never actually counted how many characters/spaces it is!

I got this comment on my description:

Abstain: Try adding more details to make it more interesting.

Is there a rule I should be worried about? My description is really short, just "This dragon really hates the color pink," which I thought was funny because its code is IKpnk, and because as a fever wyvern, it sorts directly above my flamingos.

I got this comment on my description:

Abstain: Try adding more details to make it more interesting.

Is there a rule I should be worried about? My description is really short, just "This dragon really hates the color pink," which I thought was funny because its code is IKpnk, and because as a fever wyvern, it sorts directly above my flamingos.

There is no minimum description length. While this would be too short for my personal taste and I would add something like "really, really, really hates it. He regularly snaps at Sweetlings, Pinks, Sunsongs and any other dragon he meets that can be vaguely associated with the colour. For obvious reasons he is not allowed in the hatchery." Yours is perfectly within the rules as it describes the dragon via one character trait.

I know there is a limit as it will stop allowing you to type once you hit it, but I've never actually counted how many characters/spaces it is!

My time to shine! 200 characters.

About the reviewing limit: there's a thread link on the first page about adding the limit:

More space for reviewing descriptions?

I don't know if this is a code or what, but it's the most bemusing I've found today.

T     s.    ss   .        s.  x  s   ss . ! s!  s s    s  ! s s    .