Descripforce

Description Force!

There should be a comma after see and before he. Maybe you should turn the comma after particular into a period and capitalize the A in and, making a new sentence. Because the third sentence in that description seems like it drags on for longer than it should.

Added the comma and yeah, I realize now that that third sentence is a bit long, so I took out the 'and' all together and capitalized the 'T' in though. Thanks for the clarification. c:

This description is for my Silver Shimmer, so I want it to be serious and (hopefully) well-written. But, the first sentence is, well, awkward sounding. huh.gif

Could you very nice description helpers help me find a better opening sentence? I tried to make it be an image of him traveling alone, but it didn't work very well. tongue.gif

Quiet and introspective, Rogue is a lone figure on the road at night. Sleeping under the stars and journeying every day, his wanderlust prevents him from settling down. Those that are close to him know him to be kind and generous, always willing to make an effort to help someone in need. Sometimes along his travels (provided his reputation precedes him), dragons will ask him for advice. Rogue will do all he can to resolve their problems, offering valuable insight and finding a solution. Not only is Rogue known for his love of traveling and his generosity, but also for luck always being on his side. Each day and night for him is filled with once in a lifetime opportunities: a sunset over a snowy mountain so beautiful, it appeared to be painted; streaks of meteors bright in the sky over a silent forest, a forgotten cove with glowing blue algae, or clouds of fireflies flickering through still summer air. He will sit in silence, just soaking it all in, seeing all the beauty he can.

Thanks!

I have a question..

So my dragons live in an imaginary land called EG's Cave and it has many places with names and most of them are completely made up names (loosely based off of places I've been or want to go or have in my novels) and I really want to have a place called "Kentucky" because I have so many dragons with it in the name.

I know you're not supposed to have real life places but if I make it like a Savannah or a Forest or something and not like "This dragon lives in Kentucky" but i say something like "This dragon lives in the Kentucky Forest near Mount Hagsip" will that be against description rules?

(no intention of my dragons actually living in the state of Kentucky)

Edited by Earth Gurl

I have a question..

So my dragons live in an imaginary land called EG's Cave and it has many places with names and most of them are completely made up names (loosely based off of places I've been or want to go or have in my novels) and I really want to have a place called "Kentucky" because I have so many dragons with it in the name.

I know you're not supposed to have real life places but if I make it like a Savannah or a Forest or something and not like "This dragon lives in Kentucky" but i say something like "This dragon lives in the Kentucky Forest near Mount Hagsip" will that be against description rules?

(no intention of my dragons actually living in the state of Kentucky)

I see no problem, like said before there is a scroll wih an island called "Fin-land" and that is fine. Maybe think of a nice explanation for the name though smile.gif

So fictional places are fine too (such as Hogwarts) as long as it's clear that it's parody-ish and not referring to the place?

So fictional places are fine too (such as Hogwarts) as long as it's clear that it's parody-ish and not referring to the place?

If you're referencing a fictional work that was created by someone else, it's better to twist the name - that fits the nature of a parody better, anyway. Examples might be Hogwash or Pigboils (I'm not good at jokes, so that second one's bad and I apologize).

It's a slightly different scenario than using real places whose names don't fall under copyright.

If Hogwarts showed up in a description I was reviewing, I'd probably say something like "you can't directly reference modern day stuff."

What about a dragon named Hogwarts (I know it's taken but just an example) and its description has something to do with (though not directly stating) plots in Harry Potter?

What about a dragon named Hogwarts (I know it's taken but just an example) and its description has something to do with (though not directly stating) plots in Harry Potter?

Well I have Hermione, Rowena, Helga, Salazar, Godric, Severus, Albus, Minerva, Ginny... etc on my scroll. Delirium's Academy also has dragons named and described after Dresden Files, Discworld, Hellblazer, Buffy, SPN, Xanth and eveyr other fandom I could think of with wizards and witches, so you should be fine wink.gif

Well, I have "Sean Bean", whose (unapproved) description references some of his namesake's death scenes, his profession, and his reputation/fan nickname. I've also got "Gallifrey Falls No More", who lived in a human city called Gallifrey until he needed to freeze it and an attacking army, from the city of Skaro, in time to save it.

As long as it's not too blatant, I would click on the approve button. Doubly so if you've managed to take the source of the name and work the lore of it into the lore of DC somehow.

I have an approved description that references Rick Rolling in a way that fits the cave.

As long as it's used in a way that makes it plausible in the setting, should be fine.

I'm really sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but it makes a bit more sense to me to post in here rather than the help section.

I was wondering are you allowed to reference other eggs/hatchlings on your scroll in dragons descriptions so it makes a story when you read more than one?? I can give an example of what I mean if you need it but I want to keep them secret if I can. Lol

I'm really sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but it makes a bit more sense to me to post in here rather than the help section.

I was wondering are you allowed to reference other eggs/hatchlings on your scroll in dragons descriptions so it makes a story when you read more than one?? I can give an example of what I mean if you need it but I want to keep them secret if I can. Lol

That's fine. Some people have whole inter-locking stories in their descriptions, and others just mention who that dragon's parents and/or mate(s) are.

Hey Applemango smile.gif

it's not only OK it's a rather common practice. We even have at least one Suggestion just for these descriptions here

Thanks both of you for answering so fast!!! smile.gif

I'm planning a big lineage and I want them to all have related stories. smile.gif

I have to finish the lineage first though on case of refusals and gendering wrong.

Thanks again. smile.gif

EDIT:

Another question.

Would it be acceptable for two dragons to have practically the same descriptions with the names swapped around?

For example, Dragon A would have;

Dragon A, and their sibling, Dragon B are both big fruit lovers. Their favourite fruit, of course, is apples. Dragon A knows they are obviously the smarter of the 2.

While Dragon B has;

Dragon B, and their sibling, Dragon A are both big fruit lovers. Their favourite fruit, of course, is apples. Dragon B knows they are obviously the better looking of the 2.

^It wouldn't be exactly like that I just felt I wouldn't make too much sense without an example. smile.gifsmile.gif

Thanks in advance!!

Edited by AppleMango

I'm planning a big lineage and I want them to all have related stories. smile.gif

I have to finish the lineage first though on case of refusals and gendering wrong.

Thanks again. smile.gif

EDIT:

Another question.

Would it be acceptable for two dragons to have practically the same descriptions with the names swapped around?

Dragon A, and their sibling, Dragon B are both big fruit lovers. Their favourite fruit, of course, is apples. Dragon A knows they are obviously the smarter of the 2.

While Dragon B has;

Dragon B, and their sibling, Dragon A are both big fruit lovers. Their favourite fruit, of course, is apples. Dragon B knows they are obviously the better looking of the 2.

^It wouldn't be exactly like that I just felt I wouldn't make too much sense without an example. smile.gifsmile.gif

Thanks in advance!!

I've never done descriptions exactly like that, but I do have dragons with descriptions that have pieces that are exactly the same or use the same "template." However, I have seen dragons (a Nilla pair owned by someone, I don't remember who) who are described exactly how you are suggesting. Now having each dragon different certainty is more interesting (at least in my opinion), but if you would like to do a pair like that to stress how similar the two dragons are or something, there's nothing wrong with it! wink.gif

I've never done descriptions exactly like that, but I do have dragons with descriptions that have pieces that are exactly the same or use the same "template." However, I have seen dragons (a Nilla pair owned by someone, I don't remember who) who are described exactly how you are suggesting. Now having each dragon different certainty is more interesting (at least in my opinion), but if you would like to do a pair like that to stress how similar the two dragons are or something, there's nothing wrong with it! wink.gif

Well the actual descriptions are more detailed than that, I just don't want to share them yet, and that was a quick example I thought of. smile.gif

Thanks for the feedback/help! smile.gif

Also I'm planning on describing every dragon in the lineage I'm making, which is 127 all up, so I don't think having 2 pairs with the same descriptions will be too bad. smile.gif

Also I think it makes it a bit funnier if they're the same... at least for one of the pairs.. maybe I will change the other one but I like it for now.

Thanks again!

It depends if you want to use a 'template' like that. However if they are exactly the same, I'm afraid that it's not appropriate. You can have the same opening like that and then describe the different characteristics of two dragons afterwards. That should be fine.

I did encountered someone using the *exactly* same descriptions for every dragons he/she has. The only difference part between those descriptions is name... And we all put something like 'please be more detailed/ please describe the specific dragon' etc...

Thanks again. smile.gif

EDIT:

Another question.

While Dragon B has;

Thanks in advance!!

Can you imagine having to mod for this? "Did this user use their own descrip twice or is that descrip I read 4k descrips ago just a similar idea?" As long as users aren't plagarizing each other or copyrighted materials, I don't care if you use the same template with names changed. X3

Well, I have "Sean Bean", whose (unapproved) description references some of his namesake's death scenes, his profession, and his reputation/fan nickname. I've also got "Gallifrey Falls No More", who lived in a human city called Gallifrey until he needed to freeze it and an attacking army, from the city of Skaro, in time to save it.

As long as it's not too blatant, I would click on the approve button. Doubly so if you've managed to take the source of the name and work the lore of it into the lore of DC somehow.

I mean, I have dragons with names same as other famous fictional characters, and I do describe them with similar character and behavior...

I just wanted to make sure it's ok to do that (not all reviewers and mods know about Touhou anyway).

Remilia and Flandre Scarlet

I mean, I have dragons with names same as other famous fictional characters, and I do describe them with similar character and behavior...

I just wanted to make sure it's ok to do that (not all reviewers and mods know about Touhou anyway).

Remilia and Flandre Scarlet

Yes, of course that is okay! Those are clearly dragons in the world of DC - even if they are based on other characters, they fit the lore and are not mentioning anything too modern. Ansela Jonla's Sean Bean description is also fine.

-Edit: I want to clarify that it is perfectly fine to name a dragon after any fictional characters or real people and give them a nice description that plays on their name while still fitting in lore. That is far different than saying something like "This dragon lives near Hogwarts", in which case you would have to change the name or alter it to fit DC. Those are different scenarios.

Edited by Dimar

Comments, critiques on my heartseekers' valentine-themed description?

Charming Chocolate Prince has struck the heart of many a female dragon, what with his proud wings and grand stature, but he secretly rues the attention and feels very lonely. He has yet to find one that cares for him and not his looks. Every day as he walks the weather beaten path do his sweet little cottage in the woods, he dreams he finds the dragon of his dreams, but that only makes it hurt more when he wakes up...

Edit. Autocorrected. HEARTSEEKER, NOT HEARTSICKNESS

Edited by EmmaD333