Descripforce

Description Force!

Sock, Dimar - Thanks for making that clear. I've been worried about what the encyclopedia would do to descriptions ever since it was first announced.

When I'm reviewing descriptions, would it be better to reject, abstain, or approve of descriptions I have made suggestions to? (like spelling or sentence structure)

When I'm reviewing descriptions, would it be better to reject, abstain, or approve of descriptions I have made suggestions to? (like spelling or sentence structure)

It depends upon how many mistakes have been made. If the description is barely legible (or can't be understood at all), it's a reject. If it's clear but might be made clearer, I'd either abstain or approve, depending upon how harsh you are. :3

Edited by ab613

It depends upon how many mistakes have been made. If the description is barely legible (or can't be understood at all), it's a reject. If it's clear but might be made clearer, I'd either abstain or approve, depending upon how harsh you are. :3

Alright, thanks.

I'd been rejecting a lot of descriptions because of minor errors but I think I may just abstain minor errors now.

*Shyly sneaks in*

Hello.

Erm, would it be alright if I joined in this Description Force thing? I'm wanting to help out as well (even though traveling is limiting me due to connection issues -__-) with the description backlog as much as I can.

The signature I use when reviewing is ~Kim, by the way.

Edited by Kimoko_the_Dragon

I don't usually accept unless there are 0-1 errors. If it's readable but there are a few noticeable errors, I'll use abstain. If the errors largely distract from the enjoyment of the description, it gets a reject. I do think it's important to encourage users to fix--and resubmit--descriptions with errors, but I try not to reject unless it's something drastically wrong: something that, if I were a mod, I would not be able/want to fix before approving the description.

Oh yes, I've been using "-ab" as a signature when leaving comments.

Erm, where do you guys come up with description ideas? Recently I've been drawing them from real life and/or name ideas and inspirations, as many of my dragons are named after people/things. Metabolic Fuel eats a lot, Princess Carolyn (unapproved) is based on the character she's named after, Me Tnv Oupa Ottws Kepkottionkos' only characteristic is her long name.

Though I also like writing about recent experiences, or basing dragons on things I've done: one Pygmy likes to smash apples on the ground but is unable to get them to splatter effectively, and a Daydream once distracted the human Mistress so much that she wore the same pair of socks twice in a row. These, I think, are more fun to write, and they're often a lot funnier. ^^

*condenses two posts into one so it's less spammy* Hrm, by my estimates it looks like I won't be able to get back into reviewing until February. November is going to be consumed by NaNoWriMo, December has finals week and my return to my holiday job, and I will be spending pretty much the entire month of January busy in London. Sorry, guys. I wish I could be more regularly helpful.

*Shyly sneaks in*

Hello.

Erm, would it be alright if I joined in this Description Force thing? I'm wanting to help out as well (even though traveling is limiting me due to connection issues -__-) with the description backlog as much as I can.

The signature I use when reviewing is ~Kim, by the way.

Of course, no problem! More people reviewing and helping out is always appreciated. I'll go add your name into the signature list. smile.gif

Erm, where do you guys come up with description ideas?

Asking Herk.

In all seriousness, I only describe special cases but when I do it's usually based on jokes from the chatroom or a cohesive project like my Night Vale Nhiostrifes, whose names were just begging for descriptions. My Sweetlings, on the other hand, sometimes get their inspiration from their lineages or lines in the official breed description but are mostly random thoughts I wrote down during the year that I wanted to incorporate into someone's personality. And when I ran out of ideas, that's when I asked Herk. Because she is a genius.

ab613, I added you to the signature list as well. I'm also sticking my post about the Encyclopedia's effect (or, rather, lack thereof) on reviewing into the first post for the time being so that it doesn't get buried if anyone is wondering about it.

Oh yeah, can you add me too? I sign as "-Sam"

Yep, gotcha.

Edited by Dimar

tl;dr :/ (Will go through it later)

Good to see more people joined us! Sorry for recently literally dying in my RL (Drawings can be blamed for this), I will try my best to do some reviewing when I have enough free time...

And yes, the new released Encyclopedia gives really great inspirations on descriptions =333

literally dying in my RL

When you're resurrected in a few days, you have to start watching out for the soulpeaces. They'll hunt you down and try to keep you dead.

When you're resurrected in a few days, you have to start watching out for the soulpeaces. They'll hunt you down and try to keep you dead.

Now I really want to write a description for one of my Soulpeaces and turn him/her into an undead slayer a la Buffy. XD

*cough* Back on topic, I've come across a couple descriptions where the writer has just copied parts of the generic dragon/breed description, and I know that's a reject but I'm not sure exactly how to explain why that's wrong if I come across more like that?

I'm starting to review more and usually sign as "Kiryu", "KX", "Kuda", or "Keileon" depending on my mood (all of these are various usernames of mine), so if you see my name on a comment you know who it is. biggrin.gif

Also I tend to come within ten characters of the limit when I describe. Hope you guys have fun with those.

Now I really want to write a description for one of my Soulpeaces and turn him/her into an undead slayer a la Buffy. xd.png

*cough* Back on topic, I've come across a couple descriptions where the writer has just copied parts of the generic dragon/breed description, and I know that's a reject but I'm not sure exactly how to explain why that's wrong if I come across more like that?

I'd say "This does not describe your individual dragon" or something along those lines.

I usually put:

Why are you repeating the already-given description?

and then reject it.

Reviewing is a good way to spend time while waiting for Halloween eggies to hatch! biggrin.gif

@Denwayasha: I have a soulpeace who's convinced his purpose in life is to cure vampire dragons. He's mistaken, obviously, but can't be convinced that he's wrong.

For descriptions like the one you mentioned, I reject and say something like "Don't just copy the breed description."

Alright, thanks guys. I'd been putting "This doesn't describe the individual dragon." and just wanted to make sure it was actually helpful. :)

I've been reviewing sporadically (meaning whenever I remember which is not often) and signing as ~C.

Can you add me to the list?

Anyone doing anything for NaNoWriMo? I'm not writing a book, but I thought I'd try to write more descriptions. And review as well, of course, to balance it out.

Ooh, descriptions are actually a really nice way to use NaNo (or at least as a productive alternative). Good luck to both of you! I am attempting NaNo with a proper novel, though this was a really bad weekend for it to start on since I was quite busy plus I'm unprepared in general. So we'll see how it goes.

I've been reviewing sporadically (meaning whenever I remember which is not often) and signing as ~C.

Can you add me to the list?

Added. smile.gif

I'm aiming for 5 descriptions a day this month biggrin.gif And already lagging behind >.<

Writing or reviewing? 0_o I'm trying to write one a day, not sure if that'll last the whole month.

Ooh, descriptions are actually a really nice way to use NaNo (or at least as a productive alternative). Good luck to both of you! I am attempting NaNo with a proper novel, though this was a really bad weekend for it to start on since I was quite busy plus I'm unprepared in general. So we'll see how it goes.

Thanks Dimar! Good luck to you with your novel, as well. Do you mind if I ask what it's about?

Edited by Stormphoenix42

Writing or reviewing? 0_o I'm trying to write one a day, not sure if that'll last the whole month.

Writing xd.png I have no goal set for reviewing but 5 a day would be a rather meagre number, lol.

Writing xd.png I have no goal set for reviewing but 5 a day would be a rather meagre number, lol.

That's what I thought, lol. I don't think I could do five a day, I'd run out of ideas within a week. Good luck to you, though!

I'm doing NaNo. I'm at 10K already. (I'm Azec_the _scribbler there.) I'm trying to get massively ahead so I don't fall behind when I miss a weekend going to a university open day. I'm hoping to do a BA Hons (BFA in America I think) in creative writing there. So I need to check the place out and see if I like it. smile.gif

I'm going to try and review more descriptions but between NaNo and work we'll see.

Edited by Cireth